Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Import albums from Picasa 2 into Coppermine  (Read 50143 times)

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
Re: Import albums from Picasa 2 into Coppermine
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2009, 07:52:14 pm »

Picasa has a watermarking feature for uploaded files so I would think you could set it on your own computer to match the same settings that are used on the remote machine. If you as admin are the only person using the picasa uploader, this might not be that big of an issue.

The uploader gets the resize value from the Coppermine database so if you want to upload large files, that's not a problem.

I agree that it would be cool if there were a way in the api to sync between local and web files the way that there is for Picasa Web Albums.

Letus

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2009, 09:16:39 am »

yeah, the problem is not me, but other users - i hardly can ask them all to use same watermarking technique to have the watermarking same across all images, is easier for me to use watermarking on the webserver (remote machine)

about resize, do you upload all three image sizes directly from Picasa (thumb, normal, full size) ? because if you do, that would save a LOT of time/resources on remote machine

yeah, sync would be great, i just have no idea how to start :) i leave the images under its original "camera" names and so they are unique across my whole portfolio and each camera i have, so probably i can do some kind of export from CPG and try to import to Picasa, if that can be done, have to do some research in this topic :)

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2009, 11:03:19 am »

Picasa uploads the full (which is defined by the max size so not necessarily the original size) and thumb files. If the intermediate setting is enabled, the normal file gets created by Coppermine upon addition to an album.

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2009, 07:43:15 am »

It turned out that CPG 1.5 has a configurable option to read IPTC data so there's no need for additional coding. :) It at least imported the caption and keywords fields.

Aditya has made a plugin version of picasa2coppermine that is available via svn. Please check it out. Once it is ready, I'll remove the original version that I wrote to avoid confusion.

Letus

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2009, 07:53:10 am »

wow, great :D now only when 1.5 is due ? :D

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2009, 10:28:51 am »

When it's ready. While it's not being released, you can test it using the SVN checkout, but remember: no support for cpg1.5.x yet - no support means "no questions asked". We're very strict in this aspect.

Letus

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2009, 11:33:48 am »

yeah, sorry I asked, once i submitted this, i've seen some other forums about the "release date" :) I understand there is no support on SVN version

Paver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Paul V.
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2009, 02:34:20 am »

@Thu: I just noticed your work here on this plugin.  I'd like to contribute to the plugin as well.  Would you add me to the Google project?  My username is pvanrompay.

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2009, 02:47:00 am »

I've added you to the project, Paul. :)

Paver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Paul V.
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2009, 11:59:17 pm »

Thanks, Thu.  It would be nice to have a release version of this plugin ready when 1.5 launches.  I'll see what I can contribute with what you and Aditya are doing.

I haven't used Picasa to Web Albums.  I need to read documentation about the SDK too.  As a quick question, what happens if the transfer to Coppermine stops after file 5 (out of 20)?  It would be nice to resume a batch transfer without re-selecting.  If not, then a way to skip already existing files would probably work.

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2009, 01:46:21 am »

I'm really looking forward to having this plugin ready as soon as 1.5 is ready. It would make it so much easier to update my gallery.

It would be a good case to test for what happens to an interrupted transfer. Maybe Aditya knows, but I don't know how to induce a failure, short of disconnecting my internet connection in the middle of the transfer? Then again, my test server is local to my computer so I can't test it that way.

Picasa maintains the selection of the photos so it wouldn't require re-selecting unless the selection got lost due to manual deselection or view change.

As for handling duplicates, that seems to be relevant to the core code. It's possible that the user really does want to use the new photo, and not skip it due to an existing copy. The question is if he/she wants to keep two copies or replace the old one with the new. The current system seems to keep two copies by giving the new copy a modified file name.

Aditya Mooley

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • My Sweet Home
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2009, 05:50:37 am »

As a quick question, what happens if the transfer to Coppermine stops after file 5 (out of 20)?  It would be nice to resume a batch transfer without re-selecting.

Please understand, I have stated this earlier as well, Picasa does a single post for all the selected files and does not upload the files one by one. So, if you disconnect from the internet in middle of a Picasa upload nothing will be uploaded to Coppermine.

If Coppermine stops/dies in between adding the files, there is nothing we could do. Picasa never shows any message to users on its own. This is a limitation of Picasa and we cannot do anything about it. May be Thu can give this feedback to Picasa team. The biggest feature request is, doing one post per photo wherein we can handle many more things and much bigger uploads can be done. Right now, Picasa upload doesn't offer many advantages over regular upload via browser.

I have tried to handle most of the cases where uploading can fail like invalid file name, large file size, etc. In these cases, the file will be skipped and we move on to the next file. At the end, a message is shown with the stats for successful and failed uploads.
--- "Its Nice 2 BE Important but its more Important 2 Be NICE" ---
Follow Coppermine on Twitter

SaWey

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • SaWey.be
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2009, 05:57:18 pm »

What about using an intermediate custom written application, so Picasa would send the images to that app and then the app does the rest?

Aditya Mooley

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • My Sweet Home
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2009, 05:36:11 am »

Well, that can be yet another plugin application.  I am really not in favor of modifying this plugin to behave as a batch upload script. Also, since Picasa posts all the image together, the maximum upload size allowed the server will be reached quickly and you won't be getting the real advantage of batch upload like process where you can process unlimited number of photos.
--- "Its Nice 2 BE Important but its more Important 2 Be NICE" ---
Follow Coppermine on Twitter

johndogget

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2011, 07:37:03 pm »

Hola. Great work! :) Works like a charm. Just a question on the max size per picture, currently Picasa is doing the shrinking and thumpnail creation and uploading both to coppermine; by default the pics are sized 2048 x 1366 pixels. Is there any way I can influence that setting; I already searched on the Picasa Google help etc. but didn't find that particular setting mentioned anywhere (apart from uploading to web folders, via emails, etc. where a setting like this is possible to set).
Thanks! Bjoern

papukaija

• Contributor
  • Coppermine frequent poster
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2011, 11:36:44 pm »

@johndogget: There's no support for feature requests.

johndogget

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2011, 06:38:36 pm »

Alright... Thx for bringing that to my attention. I'll copy+paste then... ciao.

johndogget

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2011, 07:07:28 pm »

Alright... Thx for bringing that to my attention. I'll copy+paste then... ciao.

Actually I found it in the config page for "File settings" - "Max width or height for uploaded pictures ". Cheers.

Tanuki

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2012, 04:21:57 am »

Was this project abandoned?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 20 queries.