Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Error - You cannnot ban this IP - it is non-routable!  (Read 7333 times)

russian_knight

• Contributor
  • Coppermine newbie
Error - You cannnot ban this IP - it is non-routable!
« on: June 22, 2004, 08:56:27 pm »

Hello. I got this message when i want to ban ip 10.151.112.26, for example. Why?
Thanks a lot!

Nibbler

Re: Error - You cannnot ban this IP - it is non-routable!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 10:39:45 pm »

Because the internet standard RFC 1918 defines 10.xxx.xxx.xxx addresses to be private LAN addresses, and are not real internet addresses. If you like you can remove '10.', from the $illegal_ip array in banning.php, to allow coppermine to set a ban, but I'm not sure if it will work, the restriction is probably there for a good reason.

omniscientdeveloper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 12:59:44 am »

I vote to remote any unroutable ips from the ban list, just in case someone uses Coppermine for an intranet site that's setup on local-ips.

-omni

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004, 05:42:02 am »

I added the non-routables to the ban list deliberately to avoid stupid users banning al lot of people. Imagine a silly person banning 192.168.x.x (the most common among home users afaik) - it would result in millions of pc's being banned.
But I'll add a switch in config to make it an admin settable option if you agree.

Gaugau

russian_knight

• Contributor
  • Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2004, 07:41:53 am »

But I'll add a switch in config to make it an admin settable option if you agree.

Thank you. It will be nice if you post here a message when you do it and i coud get this file from cvs.

Yes, i`m using Coppermine in LAN and we all have these adresses.

By the way, in wich units (min\hour\day\week) i must add expire of ban?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2004, 08:38:26 am »

just edit banning.php, find
Code: [Select]
$illegal_ip = array('192.168.','10.','172.16.','172.17.','172.18.','172.19.','172.20.','172.21.','172.22.','172.23.','172.24.','172.25.','172.26.','172.27.','172.28.','172.29.','172.30.','172.31.','169.254.','127.', '192.0.','1.0.0.0','204.152.64.','204.152.65.'); and remove those entries from the list you want to be able to ban.

GauGau

omniscientdeveloper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2004, 10:46:52 am »

it would result in millions of pc's being banned.

Not so. 192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x, etc. don't get routed. Hence, unless Coppermine is installed somewhere local to the user's computer a LAN (not WAN) their computer won't be blocked. I have a 192 network setup at home, but my INTERNET ip is totally different. The ip being stored on my router, makes all my computers look like the same computer to the internet. If this ip is blocked, then none of my computers on my LAN can access the site. So, blocking  (or not being able to block) unroutable ips only affects users that have Coppermine installed on a LAN, not a server hosted on the internet ( WAN ). :)

-omni
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 10:54:05 am by omniscientdeveloper »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2004, 06:08:25 pm »

sure, but we're talking about an intranet, don't we? My company's intranet is on the WAN, all clients IP addresses get routed inside our net. If I ban a client by his IP address, he is banned. Of course the local IP # get translated (NAT) when accessing the internet...

GauGau

omniscientdeveloper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2004, 01:13:43 am »

My company's intranet is on the WAN, all clients IP addresses get routed inside our net.

Right. You can have a LAN on WAN only through the use of VPNs. The point is that if you have Coppermine installed on your LAN, it'll only be accessible by people on your LAN, unless you do some forwarding to allow people outside to access it, in which case they're accessing a totally different IP via the WAN, since the LAN address is unroutable.

If I ban a client by his IP address, he is banned. Of course the local IP # get translated (NAT) when accessing the internet

Exactly. If the server (where Coppermine is hosted) is on the LAN this will work. If the server in on a WAN, it won't. If the client computer's ip is unroutable, they'll be using some sort of NAT to access the WAN, so in effect you'll be banning the NAT server's ip, not the client computer.

Actually, all this doesn't matter, since you're doing an admin switch to allow a user to ban a LAN ip.  :D But I still think it should just be removed totally.  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.