Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I'd like to encourage guests to sign up when they want to view full size images  (Read 15173 times)

elwave

• Coppermine frequent poster

Because, it seems at the moment when I set this option (to disallow guests from seeing the full size images), it simply doesn't make them a link at all, meaning the guest doesn't get encouraged to sign up.

For now, I have allowed them access to thumbnails only, but I feel this is not as good for our success on Google Images, and doesn't encourage members to sign up as much (I think our sign-ups daily has dropped by a very large number due to this minute change).

How can I do this? ._.

Elwave

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict

What exactly do you want to change? Do you want to display some text above/below the picture or somewhere else in your gallery?

elwave

well, basically, when someone clicks a thumbnail image, and is not allowed to view "intermediate" images, it takes them to the sign in page (which is on my MyBB forum, as the two are bridged). I'd like to ideally make it so that this happens instead when they are on the intermediate image already, and click on it to view the full image. I feel like this will give Google bots more to crawl, and will make guests more tempted to sign in as they're being allowed just a bit more.

However I may add some text somewhere stating the person must log in to view full size images, but perhaps that's better done within MyBB somehow.

Is this fairly easy to do? or?

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict

when they are on the intermediate image already, and click on it to view the full image.
Your visitor currently get a message, that they need to register/login to access that page (at least that happens in my local testbed while I just tested it). Maybe it's enough to extend that message in lang/english.php?
Code: [Select]
$lang_errors['login_needed'] = 'You need to %sregister%s/%slogin%s to access this page'; // cpg1.5

elwave

That's strange - on mine the intermediate image is completely unclickable.

Perhaps after this backup is done (I started one a little earlier) I will update Coppermine completely, and maybe that will make the image clickable to guests again :)

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict

Please post a link to your gallery. Maybe I see a configuration difference that disables that message.

elwave

Oh, sure, I'll send it to you :)

elwave

Ah, no PMs.. is it ok if I do it like that instead of posting it up here?

Erm.. you allow people to use Coppermine for (in this case fairly mild) adult content right? :)

Walkinman

• Skolai Images - Nature, Travel and Adventure stock photos

hey elwave,

Not that it's any of my business - just to save André some time in responding - but here are the rules regarding posting adult content links on the board:

http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/topic,55415.msg270616.html#msg270616
"8. Post links
When posting a support request, it's helpfull for supporters in most cases to see what the actual page looks like, that's why it's mandatory that you always post a link to your coppermine gallery page when asking for support. If your site contains adult content, make sure to post a warning together with your link!
Supporters might get into issues if they accidentally visit a page that interferes with their employer's internet policy. If your site contains adult content (even mild nudity even falls into this category), post the words "not safe for work" next to the link."

Cheers

Carl

elwave

kk

(not safe for work - adult content) http://sonichentai.net/gallery

(and apologies for the slightly unusual subject matter! lol ^^ )

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict

<!--Coppermine Photo Gallery 1.5.6 (stable)-->
Please upgrade to cpg1.5.12. Additionally, I'm not able to access your intermediate-sized view. So please (temporary) allow guest access or post a test user account, after you upgraded your gallery to the latest release.

elwave

awesome man, you got it :)

Oh, by the way, while I've got you here this is a perfect time to answer the paranoid query as to why I haven't upgraded already lol!

And that is - if I just do a normal upgrade and let it do it's thing, is it likely to affect or break any of my settings, themes, etc? I didn't want to update it and run into any complications that's all!

Thanks very much, this is all very helpful! ^_^

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict

Please read the upgrade docs and the changelog if you want to know exactly what has been changed since cpg1.5.6. Usually the update won't break anything, unless you modified core files.

elwave

Ok, we should be upgraded now!

It still has the same issue, although it's a little tricky showing you, as I don't want to alter guest access without having it fixed for too long as our sign-ups will plummet, and I only have 3 groups (guest, registered and admin).

Erm... I wish there was some way to show you this problem without editing all guest permissions! Even a test account... you can see the problem I run into!

It still simply doesn't acknowledge the intermediate image as a link if you don't have the permissions to view the full size image, which is weird!

I wish I could think of a way to show you without jeopardizing our sign-ups on the site...

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict

Without a view at your gallery I cannot help you, sorry.

elwave

Ok erm, I've made the config change so it displays the issue on intermediate images :)

I really don't want to leave it for too long though lol

Here is an example image: http://www.sonichentai.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=315&pid=6546

Thanks so much for the help!

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict

Please check the following settings in your Coppermine config:
  • Registration -> Allow new user registrations
  • User settings -> Allow unlogged users (guest or anonymous) access

It should work if you enable new user registrations in Coppermine's config.

elwave

Ah awesome! Now we get a pop-up message saying they must sign-up to view the full image!

Well, that's an improvement!

I could simply edit that popup box.. although of course it would be tricky to squeeze any hyperlinks to sign-up pages and things into it. Am i right in saying there is no external page with this error on it, or a way to make the sign-up notification a bit more interactive and persuasive for users? You can see why this might be useful for encouraging people to fully sign-up and remain on the website! :)

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict

Have a look at the function theme_html_picture in the theme.php file of your theme. If it doesn't exist, copy it from themes/sample/theme.php to your theme's theme.php file.

You'll find that line
Code: [Select]
$pic_html .= '<a href="javascript:;" onclick="alert(\''.sprintf($lang_errors['login_needed'],'','','','').'\');">';which you can change to your needs, e.g. to open a new page with more information instead of just opening a small popup.

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me

You could also take a look at the following plugin which might also help - http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/topic,63336.0.html
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 20 queries.