Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keyword Separator  (Read 5171 times)

Walkinman

• Coppermine frequent poster
    • Skolai Images - Nature, Travel and Adventure stock photos
Keyword Separator
« on: April 03, 2011, 10:37:29 am »

Hey Folks,

I have a question about the new keyword separator added for cpg 1.5. All my files are keyworded in the IPTC data, using either photoshop, Photomechanic or another program called Image Info Toolkit. Those programs all use either a comma or a semicolon to separate keywords. Of course, when I uploaded them to my cpg gallery, esp under 1.4, the commas were removed and the keywords are separated by spaces. Now I have the option of putting the comma back in, which will work much better for an "exact phrase" search. For example.

keywords might be:

Alaska, Wrangell, St. Elias, National, Park, Mt. St. Elias, Mount St. Elias, Mount, mountains, landscapes, etc, etc, etc.

so now, after upload, those files read like this:

Alaska Wrangell St. Elias National Park Mt. St. Elias Mount St. Elias Mount mountains landscapes etc etc etc

In the example above, I'd like to be able to allow a user to search for "Mt. St. Elias" and not return, say "Mt. Wrangell", etc.

If I now convert the keyword separator from a space to a comma, will that revert the keywords to how they were before I uploaded them all? I would like to verify this will work as hoped, before making the conversion, as I have thousands of images uploaded with thousands of keywords, and don't want to do a global adjustment and lose all that data or bungle it if I make a change incorrectly.

So my question is does cpg still remember where those commas all were when I uploaded the files back in cpg1.4, and if I convert to a comma, will it list them as I originally keyworded them? i.e., is the data still intact, I guess?

I apologize if I made this more awkward than it should be, I am not sure how to explain more simply exactly what I mean.

I appreciate the assistance, as always.

Thank you.

Cheers

Carl

Walkinman

Re: Keyword Separator
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 12:46:51 am »

Hey Folks,

If anyone might know this stuff, I' really appreciate some input. I guess my question is if my keyworded IPTC data was something like this:

Alaska, Wrangell, St. Elias, National, Park, Preserve, Mt. St. Elias, Mount St. Elias, mountains, ranges, landscapes, etc, etc

and when I uploaded to cpg 1.4 versions, with the space separator, those keywords show in the file data, on cpg, as

Alaska Wrangell St. Elias National Park Preserve Mt. St. Elias Mount St. Elias mountains ranges landscapes etc etc

If I  go to Admin Tools and Convert keyword separator from 'space' to 'comma', will the new keyword list look like this:

Alaska, Wrangell, St., Elias, National, Park, Preserve, Mt., St., Elias, Mount, St., Elias, mountains, ranges, landscapes, etc, etc (which would be bad)

or this:

Alaska, Wrangell, St. Elias, National, Park, Preserve, Mt. St. Elias, Mount St. Elias, mountains, ranges, landscapes, etc, etc (which would be good)

i.e., will it place the commas where I put them in the IPTC data, or will it put them anywhere there is currently a space?

FWIW I did read over the docs but I didn't see how this change will function. This info is close, but not quite what I'm doing.

Site link

Thank you.

Cheers

Carl

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict

Walkinman

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 08:35:32 pm »

Hey André

Thanks - I have read that, but I don't see how it answers the question. If I convert the space separator to a comma, will cpg look at where the actual commas are in the IPTC data of the I uploaded, or will it look at the spaces it has laid out in the file information;

The IPTC metadata has all the keywords written and separated as I want them done. I uploaded the files to cpg and cpg reads all the commas as spaces. Now I can convert spaces to commas - but what I don't know is whether cpg will convert every current space to a comma, or only the actual commas in the IPTC data.

If you read the above example, you'll see what I mean.

Thank you

Cheers

Carl

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 10:12:32 am »

I haven't tested that and I'm not able to test that, as I don't have pictures with IPTC data. I suggest to create a testbed and perform some tests if you don't want to test that on your live gallery.

Walkinman

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 03:23:18 am »

Hey André

Thank you. I'm not really sure how to do that, but I'll look into it.

Cheers

Carl

Walkinman

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 10:35:12 pm »

Hey André

I would really like to do this but I don't know how to set up a 'test bed'. Could you or someone maybe point me in the correct direction?

Thank you.

Cheers

Carl

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 10:57:00 am »

This tutorial tells you how to create a 1:1 copy of your gallery: http://documentation.coppermine-gallery.net/en/export.htm#moving_server

You can create the second gallery either on the same server (in a different directory and using a different database) or on another server (e.g. free webspace or on a local web server like XAMPP).

Walkinman

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 03:12:21 am »

hey André

I will look at it as I get some time, thanks; I have so many things I'm trying to catch up I always get further behind.

I won't really need to recreate an exact copy of the whole thing, just a smaller version, but big enough to test on. I'll look at the free webspace option you mentioned.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Carl

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 12:23:09 pm »

Create and restoring the database dump doesn't take much time, so you can copy your whole database. But you don't need to upload the albums directory to test the behavior. Coppermine will automatically display a "missing file" icon for all files. That way you save time and web space.

Walkinman

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 04:31:37 am »

hey André

Ha .. well, I thought I'd be clever and just do a test on one album, a smaller one, and see what happens. But, it appears even though I selected only one album, the change was made to the entire collection. Arrgghhhhh.
And, just for the record, the change was only made via the database, it did not re-read the iptc data and look at where those spaces were, only the keywords as collated for that image in the cmg database.

There's probably a whole lot better way to describe what I'm saying, but hopefully it is clear enough.

Thanks again - I'll look at setting up that test gallery.

Cheers

Carl
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 19 queries.