Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sticky on Asking Questions  (Read 5154 times)

Walkinman

• Coppermine frequent poster
    • Skolai Images - Nature, Travel and Adventure stock photos
Sticky on Asking Questions
« on: March 25, 2011, 12:04:46 am »

hey Folks,

I saw this thread,

http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/topic,2746.0.html

and think it might make more sense to move it to the support forums .. why post a sticky on how to ask support questions in a forum where (a) users can't ask post, and (b) people can't ask for support? My guess is most people who come here to ask questions don't read it. The thread is useful. It might be more beneficial to move it to the top of the various support forums.

Just a thought.

Cheers

Carl

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
Re: Sticky on Asking Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 09:59:26 am »

We already have our board rules, which are accessible at any page and you also have to accept them when registering in the board. That should be enough imo, as people who are too lazy to read the board rules also won't read sticky threads.

Walkinman

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 07:42:24 pm »

Hey André

Agreed - though it might seem that if the thread I linked to is considered important enough to be posted as a "Sticky", then perhaps it makes sense to post it on the actual boards it applies to. Just an idea is all.

There's no need to call people lazy. Some people forget, some people don't read things closely, some people need to be told things multiple times, or in different ways, before they really understand what is meant. And some people really don't understand how things work until they get involved; so reading rules at the outset doesn't really "sink in". Just my 2cents.

Cheers

Carl

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 08:05:08 pm »

Nah, it is either lack of observation skills or laziness. I've been helping out on another support forum for a bit and you will be amazed by how many people don't bother to read the instructions that are printed in big red letters infront of them even if you politely point them out. We get the same on here. There are times when we will direct someone to the relavent section of the manual and very often we get the response "I haven't got time to be reading through all that, just tell me the answer". That is pure laziness and happens at least once a week on here.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Walkinman

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 08:31:26 pm »

Hey Phil

I'm sure, in many cases, that's correct. But I know personally of a number of folks who've run into that kind of comment on these boards when it's not called for.

Sometimes that 'I haven't time to read through all that' is an interpretation of 'I read it and I don't understand it'.

Laziness aside - why post a sticky about how to ask questions in a thread where the people it's directed toward can't ask questions? :)

Cheers

Carl
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 19 queries.