Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IE lock-up 100% CPU  (Read 6289 times)

~phocas~

• Coppermine novice
    • phocas
IE lock-up 100% CPU
« on: January 20, 2011, 04:16:13 am »

Since upgrading from 1.4.x, when viewing "Last Uploads" from the home page, IE locks up and cpu time goes to 100%(iexplore.exe); a similar thing occurs, on the "edit files" page.

I noticed when its doing this an "edit files" page, it stays locked up until the description field opens to full size (until then, its only one line)

The gallery is http://www.phocas.net/gallery/

I look forward to any thoughts you have on this.
phocas.net

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
Re: IE lock-up 100% CPU
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 09:56:56 am »

when viewing "Last Uploads" from the home page, IE locks up and cpu time goes to 100%(iexplore.exe)
Doesn't happen for me in IE8 when I visit http://www.phocas.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=lastup

Can someone confirm what phocas describes?

Joe Carver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka 'i-imagine'
    • Home Page
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 11:59:16 pm »

The galley requires user/password access to see an image page, making the url and request a small waste of time.

If posting a link to a password protected gallery, then post a test user account.

~phocas~

• Coppermine novice
    • phocas
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 01:28:26 am »

The galley requires user/password access to see an image page, making the url and request a small waste of time.

If posting a link to a password protected gallery, then post a test user account.

A login is NOT necessary to view/test the problem, therefore it was not included

Posting login information to a public forum is a bit unsecure, not to mention careless.

In the past, the policy was to wait to be messaged for that sort of thing.
phocas.net

profili

• Coppermine frequent poster
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 01:35:09 am »

Then open to the anonymous visitors the gallery a few hours, to be helped.

~phocas~

• Coppermine novice
    • phocas
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 01:50:20 am »

Then open to the anonymous visitors the gallery a few hours, to be helped.

Again, a login is NOT necessary to view/test the problem. 

The Coppermine Forum Administrator above (ANDRE) did not seem to have any difficulty testing this issue without a login, and has not made any indication that he needs one to perform the following test:

Step 1) Visit http://www.phocas.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=lastup
Step 2) Log Results to this Topic

If there is a need for a login, message me on this forum, and I will provide one.
A couple of years ago, I was chastised by a support member of this forum for doing otherwise.

Thanks...
phocas.net

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 05:11:02 am »

A login is NOT necessary to view/test the problem, therefore it was not included

Posting login information to a public forum is a bit unsecure, not to mention careless.

In the past, the policy was to wait to be messaged for that sort of thing.

Joe was not asking for an admin account, just a simple user account. There are times when access to a gallery is needed to be 100% sure. Ad you have now opened it up that is not a problem but by opening it up you are giving exactly the same rights as you would have done by giving a basic users password, ie none. So please do not argue with people who are trying to help you. Nor make people put in extra effort trying to help you. Andre would have had to also spend extra time getting a working link. If you wat help, please make it as easy as possible for us to do that.

As already said, I see no issues in IE8/7 so we can only assume that the problem lies your end.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

~phocas~

• Coppermine novice
    • phocas
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 05:43:29 pm »

Joe was not asking for an admin account, just a simple user account. And you have now opened it up that is not a problem but by opening it up you are giving exactly the same rights as you would have done by giving a basic users password, ie none. So please do not argue with people who are trying to help you. Nor make people put in extra effort trying to help you. Andre would have had to also spend extra time getting a working link. If you wat help, please make it as easy as possible for us to do that.  As already said, I see no issues in IE8/7 so we can only assume that the problem lies your end.

I did not "open it up."  What you see, is the way it has always been.  Andre got a working link on the first try, and I assume would have requested more information, if it was needed.

It was not my intent to argue, only to rebuff what I perceived to be a rather condescending statement; although, I should be used to it on this forum by now.  There has always seemed to be an unnecessary abraisiveness, and general bad attitude towards those only needing a bit of help.  It has improved in the last year or so, but the issue lingers on.   

Thank you.  I do appreciate your help, and anyone else that has a moment to test the scenario, in which no user account is needed.
phocas.net

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 06:16:07 pm »

Can someone confirm what phocas describes?
If nobody can confirm it, it's probably a client-side issue. Maybe resetting your IE settings help, but we cannot support such client-side issues. That's why I asked if it happens for someone else that phocas.

~phocas~

• Coppermine novice
    • phocas
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 12:31:46 am »

If nobody can confirm it, it's probably a client-side issue. Maybe resetting your IE settings help, but we cannot support such client-side issues. That's why I asked if it happens for someone else that phocas.

Thank you.  I think you may be very right.  I will definitely post back if I find the cause.
phocas.net

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 12:41:48 am »

I did not "open it up."  What you see, is the way it has always been.  Andre got a working link on the first try, and I assume would have requested more information, if it was needed.

It was not my intent to argue, only to rebuff what I perceived to be a rather condescending statement; although, I should be used to it on this forum by now.  There has always seemed to be an unnecessary abraisiveness, and general bad attitude towards those only needing a bit of help.  It has improved in the last year or so, but the issue lingers on.   

Thank you.  I do appreciate your help, and anyone else that has a moment to test the scenario, in which no user account is needed.

Joe was not trying to be condecending in any way, he was trying to help.

In your initial post you did not say where you had the problem occuring, nor did you suggest you did not need to logon to see the issue. Joe was trying to be thorough and test fully hence the comment he made. It was only when Andre took it upon himeslf to add thumbnails.php?album=lastup to your short link and then Joe also tried to help that you mentioned it was causing a problem on the landing page.

I am not trying to wind you up here, just trying to explain why we ask. It is often more important than many users realise to see a link. It makes it a lot easier for us if we do not have to then add to your entry link to find a page that may cause a problem.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

~phocas~

• Coppermine novice
    • phocas
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 02:24:13 am »

Joe was not trying to be condecending in any way, he was trying to help.

In your initial post you did not say where you had the problem occuring, nor did you suggest you did not need to logon to see the issue. Joe was trying to be thorough and test fully hence the comment he made. It was only when Andre took it upon himeslf to add thumbnails.php?album=lastup to your short link and then Joe also tried to help that you mentioned it was causing a problem on the landing page.

I am not trying to wind you up here, just trying to explain why we ask. It is often more important than many users realise to see a link. It makes it a lot easier for us if we do not have to then add to your entry link to find a page that may cause a problem.

Having been a software developer for more then 20 years, I understand  why you ask.  I provided enough information in my initial post for a partial test when I stated, "... when viewing "Last Uploads" from the home page, IE locks up..."

The link went directly to the main gallery page, as required in the posting rules, and I assumed anyone supporting this software could easily find the "last uploads" link from there.

Otherwise, have no fear; I'm not getting wound up, and nothing is taken personally.

It is just unfortunate that, as Joe so eloquently stated, my post was a "waste of time."
phocas.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 20 queries.