Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Red Crosses Instead of Thumbnails  (Read 4011 times)

skie

• Coppermine newbie
    • Gems & Things
Red Crosses Instead of Thumbnails
« on: June 11, 2004, 03:15:35 pm »

Hi,

I managed to get my gallery working fine but by accident I chmod'ed the db_input.php.  Now when anyone tries to view the main page they see red crosses instead of thumbnails on newly uploaded pics although the ones that were there before I did that still work fine and the full size images work fine.  Only recent thumbs seem to be affected.  Could anyone please tell me what the default chmod setting for the db_input.php should be?

Many thanks

Jayne

hyperion

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
  • - retired -
Re: Red Crosses Instead of Thumbnails
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2004, 05:19:38 pm »

At the most restrictive level, it should be 555. At the least restrictive level, it can be 777.  Check the CHMOD value in your Config Console as well.  CPG attempt to CHMOD newly added pictures to that value. This value is 644 by default, but could set to other values as well.

Learn more about chmodding here:

http://www.december.com/unix/tutor/permissions.html
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 06:33:28 pm by hyperion »
"Then, Fletch," that bright creature said to him, and the voice was very kind, "let's begin with level flight . . . ."

-Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagull

(https://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mozilla.org%2Fproducts%2Ffirefox%2Fbuttons%2Fgetfirefox_small.png&hash=9f6d645801cbc882a52f0ee76cfeda02625fc537)

skie

• Coppermine newbie
    • Gems & Things
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2004, 06:17:44 pm »

Thanks for your help  ;)

Jayne

skie

• Coppermine newbie
    • Gems & Things
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2004, 04:03:08 pm »

Hi,

Ok well in the end I decided to re-install the whole thing as it turns out the chmod wasn't to blame after all.  Now although I have reinstalled completely (deleted everything off the server and cleared the database) I'm still having problems with red crosses on some images.  Some images show the thumbnails fine but others just show red crosses.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks for any help

Jayne

Casper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2004, 05:23:42 pm »

Do these pics have anything in common.
Are they all in the same directory on the server?
Are they all the same image filetype, jpg, etc.
Are they the bigger pics.
Can you give us a link.
It has been a long time now since I did my little bit here, and have done no coding or any other such stuff since. I'm back to being a noob here

skie

• Coppermine newbie
    • Gems & Things
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2004, 08:33:50 pm »

Thanks for the response.

They are all .jpg pictures.

One that isn't showing is 35.6 KB and is size 513x296 in it's original (not thumb) format.
One that actually does show is 41.0 KB and is size 506x375 in it's original (not thumb) format.

They are all in the userpics directory on the server.

Link is http://gemsnthings.co.uk/coppermine/index.php

If you would like to log in I created a test account.  Username: testing    Password: test

Thanks  ;)

Jayne

Casper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2004, 09:16:10 pm »

OK, the pics are there, but the ones not showing have been restricted.  I think the pics themselves have had their permissions lowered.

For example, I can browse directly to the full size pic of ......../albums/userpics/pretty%20kizzy.jpg, but when I try to go to ......../albums/userpics/thumb_pretty%20kizzy.jpg, I get a 'Forbidden' notice.

I uploaded a pic, and the same thing happened with the thumb and intermediate pics, although they are there.

So this makes me think you have set the setting in config,' Default mode for files ' too low.  If it is set at 644, try 666.
You will have to chmod change the permissions on the pics already on the server that have been set too low.
It has been a long time now since I did my little bit here, and have done no coding or any other such stuff since. I'm back to being a noob here

skie

• Coppermine newbie
    • Gems & Things
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2004, 09:55:18 pm »

Thanks for the help.

Ok I've now set the default for  pics to 666 but it wouldn't let me chmod the following files:

normal ambershanaz
thumb ambershanaz
thumb_pretty kizzy

When I try to chmod it returns the following error:

Request denied.
Verify that the file or folder exists and that you have the necessary permissions on the server to perform the requested operation

I have also tried uploading other pictures to see if it will take effect on new pictures but still I get the red crosses.  Should I try changing the default for pics to 777?

Thanks

Jayne

hyperion

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
  • - retired -
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2004, 10:39:38 pm »

Try 655, then 755, then 775.
"Then, Fletch," that bright creature said to him, and the voice was very kind, "let's begin with level flight . . . ."

(https://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mozilla.org%2Fproducts%2Ffirefox%2Fbuttons%2Fgetfirefox_small.png&hash=9f6d645801cbc882a52f0ee76cfeda02625fc537)

skie

• Coppermine newbie
    • Gems & Things
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2004, 12:30:31 am »

Thanks I've now tried that and none of those settings worked either.  I also tried 777 just out of curiosity but that didn't work either.  I've no idea what to do now.

Thanks for your help

Jayne

hyperion

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
  • - retired -
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2004, 02:30:02 am »

Are you trying that with new images? That setting will only affect newly added images.

In any case, it sounds as though there may be an issue with groups on your server.  Coppermine runs as the server, and any files it creates are owned by the server.  If you are not in the same group as the server, you may not be able to CHMOD those files using your FTP client.  Earlier you noted that CPG would give you warnings about CHMOD when uploading pics, and if CHMOD is disabled, the file permissions for the images may be some default created by your server admin.   

skie

• Coppermine newbie
    • Gems & Things
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2004, 02:22:42 pm »

Hi

Yes I've tried them all with new images as I figured the new settings would only take effect on files uploaded after the changes.

By server admin do you mean my hosting company? If so I've been told there are no problems there as other people on the same server as me are also using coppermine.  I have no idea what could be wrong as I've searched through the threads here, read the FAQ and the documentation.

Thanks for your help and patience anyway  ;)

Jayne
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 19 queries.