Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sort order of thumbails  (Read 2011 times)

gbothwell

• Coppermine newbie
Sort order of thumbails
« on: March 31, 2011, 07:33:50 pm »

Hello

I have a question about the sorting of files within an album. The particular Coppermine gallery (v. 1.5.8) is at http://maryandgraham.net/cpg/. It is used mainly for uploading photos while on travel. The photos originate from three different cameras; thus it is not meaningful to sort the images by file name, and indeed I do not wish to rename the files to force the names to be in a numerical sequence.

Instead, I am sorting by Position, which I assume means the order in which the files were uploaded. I set the gallery’s default sort order to Position Ascending. That works OK initially with a new album, but after a while the newly-uploaded files begin to be placed at the wrong end of the image list. I then need to use the Sort My Pictures function to move every subsequent new image to the correct end of the list. That, of course, is highly frustrating.

My puzzle is why the sorting by Position Ascending stops working. Would it be because occasionally I use Sort My Pictures to reposition an image that was uploaded in the wrong order? By my reckoning, the default Position Ascending setting should remain functioning indefinitely, whether or not any of the files have been repositioned manually. Or is that not so? Or might there be some other cause?

Can someone help me understand how to use this feature correctly? Thanks for your help.

Nibbler

Re: Sort order of thumbails
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 08:29:19 pm »

If you want them to be sorted in the order they were uploaded you should use the "Date ascending" option.

gbothwell

• Coppermine newbie
Re: Sort order of thumbails
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 09:28:51 pm »

Thank you, that certainly clarifies things. Is there also a way in which the thumbnails could be basically sorted by upload date, i.e. Date Ascending, but then be able to move individual files positions without upsetting the date ordering of the other surrounding files, and without having to go through a Sort My Pictures exercise? I'm thinking here about the individual file that may have been uploaded in an incorrect order, but prior to numerous other files being uploaded. Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 20 queries.