Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deleting empty categories  (Read 6335 times)

bertvanv

• Coppermine newbie
Deleting empty categories
« on: November 24, 2010, 10:43:03 am »

On installing I made some categories just for trying. Now I want to delete them or change their names from the Categories Control Panel. But the icons for deleting and editing are dead: they do not response to clicking on them. Is somebody on this forum familiar with this problem and able to supply a solution?

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
Re: Deleting empty categories
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 11:01:54 am »

Works for as expected in my local testbed. Please post a link to your gallery if you want to fix your issue. Alternatively you can delete the categories manually in your database.

Moving from cpg1.5 install to misc.

bertvanv

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 11:15:21 am »

Thanks for your quick response. It concerns http://schaatsenmuseum.nl/coppermine.
You mention deleting by means of the database. I searched for it but couls not find an appropriate map. Would you, please, mention the path to it.

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 11:24:02 am »

I don't know how you can access your database. You entered the credentials during the installation of Coppermine.

bertvanv

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 11:56:46 am »

I do understand that, but I wonder in which map the installation details regarding categories and albums may be found. I did found a map 'albums' containing the uploaded pics. In the same directory there are many other maps from 'bridge' to 'themes' but nothing about settings.
It would be better, however, if I could change things from the Control Panel. I hoped you could mention something about this subject after having received the URL.
I am having one more question on moving pics from one album to another, but think I should open a new thread for that, shouldn't I?

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 12:07:57 pm »

The categories are only stored in the MySQL database. You cannot access the database with a browser or ftp tool, but need a special tool like phpMyAdmin.

Please post a screen-shot of the
Categories Control Panel
including
the icons for deleting and editing

I am having one more question on moving pics from one album to another, but think I should open a new thread for that, shouldn't I?
Yes.

bertvanv

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 12:47:27 pm »

I am not experienced in sending screenshots, so I hope the attachment will do:
If not, please, instruct me how to improve.

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 01:09:44 pm »

Looks fine to me. What exactly happens when you click on the red 'x'?

bertvanv

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 04:45:21 pm »

After clicking the X a box pops up asking wether I am certain I want to delete that category. I then click OK and the box disappears. But the category is still there.

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 06:23:27 pm »

If you want, you can send me your admin account data to my email address and I'll try to figure out what's wrong. Don't post them publicly!

bertvanv

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 09:34:45 pm »

It appeared that 'the database' is not saved in my hosting account but 'somewhere else' on the server. I got the user name and password from my hosting company and removed the obsolete categories. So far so good. This problem has been solved 'the hard way'.
But... the commands in the box still don't work, of course. So, I still wonder what might be wrong.
Do I understand well that you would like to look into this by looking at 'the database'?
If so, I am prepared to send you user name and password as requested. However, your e-mail address is blocked (when I click your name for more details).
So, please, inform me about it. Eventually you may send it to bert@schaatsenmuseum.nl.
Thanks beforehand.

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 09:38:33 pm »

I want to have a look at your gallery, as I want to exclude client-side issues. Maybe I don't find what I'm looking for that way. But that's the first thing in want to try. I'll send you a PM with my email address. So please don't send any login data to someone else who you might contact you per email.

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 10:39:46 pm »

I just created and deleted a category successfully in your gallery. So it's a client side issue we cannot support. And the database is hosted on your account. That's the typical way how access it.

bertvanv

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 11:06:23 pm »

A while ago I created a new category as well but could not delete it 'the normal way'.
How should I interptret your words 'So it's a client side issue we cannot support'?
What is wrong at my side of Coppermine? Should I ask my host to change something?
Or should I delete the present programm and reinstall it directly from the Coppermine site?

Nibbler

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2010, 11:17:15 pm »

Means the problem lies with your web browser or possibly with some "security" software you may be running. Have you tried using a different web browser?

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2010, 08:02:12 am »

Or should I delete the present programm and reinstall it directly from the Coppermine site?
Sounds like you used an auto-installer to install Coppermine?

bertvanv

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2010, 09:52:45 am »

Yes I did. Coppermine was recommended by my host when I asked them for some help by what I wanted. I never heard of Coppermine before and I could install it as an add-on by means of a help programme named Installatron. When I experienced some trouble I searched the internet and found the forum.
I still don't know the difference between auto installers and the own installation procedure of a programme but I red the information about auto installers now and fear that I have been working on this application for over 50 hours now for nothing. And you too. I am sorry about that but as I wrote above I didn't know until now.
The reality is that I now am familiar with Coppermine and that I like it. So the question remains: would it be better to uninstall the whole thing and reinstall it from the Coppermine site?
However, what about the requirements I read in the Coppermine website: Web Server + PHP + MySQL + IM/GD = CPG!
I think I have nothing more than a website and an host (providing web services).
I feel wretched!

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2010, 10:00:10 am »

If Coppermine runs now, it will also run (at least I hope so) when you install it the regular way. For a start you could try to install a second gallery on your webspace. You need FTP access to your webspace to upload the required files and folders.

bertvanv

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 05:05:20 pm »

The problem has been solved. In fact, it appeared that there have not been a problem with Coppermine itself. You and me have been spoiling our time due to handshake problems between Internet Explorer and Coppermine. This became clear when my hosting company logged in on my pc using Teamviewer. It then appeared that everything went well on his pc but not on mine. (André had the same experience!) Eventually we found that he used Firefox (Maybe André does as well). When I changed from IE to FF the problems had gone.
Thank you, everybody that gave time to this issue. I learned something from this case that has cost me some 70 hours. Maybe you did as well, in the end.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 20 queries.