Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Add whitespace under image and watermark it with a attribution - plugin?  (Read 9319 times)

solipsism

• Coppermine newbie

http://machinesandmagic.com/coppermine/

I have found many websites by their watermarks, which I then type in and explore. But the artist of the image is then harder to find and they don't really get credit.

My suggestion is a feature/plugin  that adds 1/4" of whitespace to uploaded images and then watermarks THAT space with the name of the site (from the title) and the username of the uploader.

ie: 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WWW.MACHINESandMAGIC.COM  image uploaded by:  USERNAME
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

don't know if that is difficult or not, but would be nice if things get borrowed that at least there is a byline at the bottom.

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
Re: Add whitespace under image and watermark it with a attribution - plugin?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 11:33:39 am »

Shouldn't be hard to code, but I'm not sure if much people will use that feature. Maybe it's better to create plugin hooks (if needed) and code a plugin for that approach.

Stramm

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • Bettis Wollwelt
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 01:14:21 pm »

In a certain way that's already possible with minor code changes (removing the 5px margin of the watermark).

Create a huge watermark eg 2048px|196px (the white banner) and add your text. Then place it at the bottom and enable downsizing (2048). If you upload bigger pics (x dimension), then you need to create a bigger watermark.

Try that, and if it fits your needs you can modify the code to remove the margin. Maybe it's a good idea to make that a config option.

in include/picmgmnt.inc.php find
Code: [Select]
if ($pos == "northwest") {in that block replace all 5 with a 0 (zero)

solipsism

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 10:15:20 pm »

Shouldn't be hard to code, but I'm not sure if much people will use that feature. Maybe it's better to create plugin hooks (if needed) and code a plugin for that approach.

I am not that great of a coder.

Is it possible to automate the "uploaded by...XXX" so the person uploading the image is listed on the watermark?

Stramm

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • Bettis Wollwelt
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 10:54:46 pm »

Atm it's possible if you code a mod. I've posted code fragments some time ago that describe the way roughly (can't remeber where and if for 1.3 or 1.4).

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 09:25:33 am »

What's the point of watermarking whitespace? Watermarking mostly is being used to make image theft pointless. If you watermark whitespace, what keeps a picture thief from cropping the watermarked whitespace away?

solipsism

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 05:50:46 am »

There are many reasons.

Most people do not crop out things because they are lazy. In this way, your image will be spread around and you will still be getting credit, and they may come back to your site to see more.

It is really good for cheap advertising.

It makes  life easier as a photoshopper if I am required to credit the sources of images, because I have a nice easy byline that is attached to the source photo that I don't have to track.

Instead of a "watermark" think of it as a convenient "label" that is easy to see and keep track of.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 21 queries.