Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Allowing Users to post comments  (Read 9645 times)

billharrison

• Coppermine newbie
Allowing Users to post comments
« on: November 21, 2010, 12:09:30 pm »

Hi All

I have set up my albums OK but cannot get registered users to be able to post comments ....

I have ticked the box to allow the user to post comments but when I set up a test user I can't see have the user can post a comment ...

any advice would be appreciated.

regards

Bill

lurkalot

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
  • +Tinyportal Support team.
Re: Allowing Users to post comments
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 12:28:53 pm »

Bill, Assuming these are public albums that you have set up for your members?

So you have set properties for each album,  Visitors can post comments = Yes ?

In the Group manager, you have registered members group "Permissions" set to, Comments = Yes ?
Running SMF 2.1.4  / Tinyportal 3.0.0, bridged with Coppermine 1.6.25, plus cpmfetch 2.0.0

billharrison

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 06:30:34 pm »

Hi

These are NOT Public albums ... we are a historical Society and I have set up a user name and password for the group to be able to respond and comment on the photos I have on there ...

I have set the Visitors can post comments = Yes ?

and in the Group manager, I have registered the members groups "Permissions" to, Comments = Yes ?

but when I log in I cannot see anywhere where I can add a comment ... do I need to enter any particular link at the top of the page ?
regards

Bill

Nibbler

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 08:21:13 am »

Should be a new box under the image in intermediate view. Post a link to your gallery and a test account with comment permissions.

billharrison

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 09:57:26 am »

AHHHHH ...

Not setup any imtermediate views .... so thats probably the problem !!!

Many thanks for that

Will try asap.

BTW does it say anywhere you need intermediate views ?

regards

Bill

Christoph G

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 07:07:13 pm »

Hello...

I'm new to coppermine...
When i first set up, i saw the "Add Comment"  below each intermediate image, as well as file data.
I was able to add a comment, and the comment exists and i can edit, delete, etc.
However, now either as administrator or registered user, i do not see the ability to add comments to images
Under Group Manager, permission to write comments is "yes."
This has become extremely frustrating. I am using 1.5.x.
Tearing my hair out. Thanks in advance...

Christoph G.

billharrison

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 07:53:41 pm »

Christopher

What I did was create a number of "Groups" The initial one which was Registered had authorisation to everything.

I then created one called "Basic" which had NO authorisations for anything....

Then I made a Group for each of my Albums and gave them as much authorisation that I wanted them to have.

When you have anyone Register ... I assign them as "Basic" ... Each of the other Groups show up as a tick box below their name I then tick the Albums I want them to see and have control of ....

hope this helps

Bill

Christoph G

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 08:16:44 pm »

Hello Bill Harison...
Thanks for such a quick and helpfull reply.
All documentation I read says I'm suppossed to be able to give Registered users permission to/or not to:
  1. add comments to images that other users upload - I have not been able to do this
  2. prevent registered users users from making galleries (photo albums) - i have not been able to do this

As a Registered User, I can upload images only into "My Personal Album." other albums do not show up on the drop down menu.
Perhaps coppermine is not functioning properly ... I'll keep plugging away...
Since this is a new coppermine install and I'm just trying to familiarize myself with all its functions and settings, I would have no problem giving you the passwords for a backup administrator, so that you can look at the config and group manager and category settings.

It all appears pretty straight forward...But I'm begining to wonder a bit about coppermine. I do not want to give this up.

Thanks again...Christoph

billharrison

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 08:57:24 pm »

You should have a Group called Administrators ... if not then make one and give Administrators Group ALL rights .

That done ONLY have yourself classed as Administrators Group.

When you go into Albums List you will see above EACH Album three choices  ...

"Delete"
"Properties"
and
"Edit Files"

People NOT given Administrator Rights will NOT see these choices.

Click on Properties and fill in the choices  ... pretty self explanitory...

I suggest you made a Registration with only minimal rights and that way you will see what anyone withe those rights will see when THEY log on.

Let me know how you get on

regards

Bill

Contact me at bill@harrisongenealogy.co.uk if you want to carry this on in a more personal basis.

Christoph G

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 01:15:21 am »

Hello Bill...

Thanks for your quick replies and I apologize for my delay...!
With your help, i discovered the issue of image upload and ability to add comments to "public" folders.
Coppermine is very confusing...I had all settings appropriate under groups manager, and when i went to albums manager, i saw the settings. What threw me is that Coppermine changes its terminology by using "Visitors." I assumed "visitors" were "guests," and not  registered users and specifically not "admins." Anywhay, it now works fine. Thanks so much...!

On another note, I infact, I now know that Coppermine is squirelly. On the search page, under the "Search Files" category, It shows
Title, Caption, Keywords, Filename as default checked. I have added "Image Copyright Belongs To:" as an optional setting in the image Descriptions block.

Every so often "IP Address" shows up and then at the next search request disappears...There are gremlins in this package.

Also, I still need to figure out how to prevent registered users users from making Photo Albums. One of these is made by default, when a user becomes registered. Thanks for your help.

The next BIG picture (strategy is to to use Joomla with phpBB3 or SMF as a front end, with Coppermine bridged: where users can sign in and not have to sign into Coppermine also.

Sounds like fun...Thanks for your help. I'm sure i'll be tearign my hair out again soon. Thanks also for the gracious welcome to contact you directly. Do you do actual code writing in Coopermine and/or Joomla...?

Best Regards...Christoph

billharrison

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 02:12:05 am »

Chris

The best way to stop Registered users is to have another User Group called say "Basic" and have ALL permissions set to "NONE" then with the other "groups" you set up and you can tick individually for them you can give EACH of these Groups Different privelages.

Does that sound OK ?

Check out my site at www.harrisongenealogy.co.uk and Register and I will give you "certain" privilages ... things may then become clear !

regards

Bill

lurkalot

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
  • +Tinyportal Support team.
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 08:53:41 am »

Also, I still need to figure out how to prevent registered users users from making Photo Albums. One of these is made by default, when a user becomes registered. Thanks for your help.

There shouldn't be any user albums by default.  A user gallery with no albums is what you should see.  Just use the groups manager to turn On / Off Personal gallery for registered members etc.  Then the "My Gallery" link should disappear.

Running SMF 2.1.4  / Tinyportal 3.0.0, bridged with Coppermine 1.6.25, plus cpmfetch 2.0.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 20 queries.