Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with Languages  (Read 14671 times)

Casper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
Re: Problem with Languages
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2004, 02:29:16 pm »

do we really need so many languages? how many visitors does your gallery get? millions? from all of the world? there are big enterprises whose very professional websites don't have so many languages! why should "normal" human beings webmasters like us need so many languages?
most of the coppermine language is "navigation" language. i think today maybe 90% of the people who surf on the internet can understand "navigation english" anyway.

so i think if someone wants more than one language on his gallery he should take english as the main language and the language of his own country, which he would revise for errors or adapt for his needs.

You answer your own question, how can the webmaster take his own language if it doen't exist.  All the languages are not there for webmasters in one country to show off on their site, they are there for the use of websites in that country.
Why should someone running a gallery in Bulgaria, or Latvia for example, be forced to use another language.  We should have as many languages available as possible, IMHO.
It has been a long time now since I did my little bit here, and have done no coding or any other such stuff since. I'm back to being a noob here

nova-bossa

• Coppermine regular visitor
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2004, 02:47:29 pm »

All the languages are not there for webmasters in one country to show off on their site, they are there for the use of websites in that country.

my point was more for those who may think they "must" have all available languages on their galleries!

---

ps: one idea: open discussion boards on this forum for each available languages in which people from their respective countries could post IMPROVED updates for their language files when they find mistakes on them, so that everyone can download the last (and best) version of each language!

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2004, 03:02:01 pm »

@nova-bossa : they already can. It's a problem somehow what you consider an "improvement": translation is always a matter of taste as well. However, feel free to post errors or typos, but please don't post "improved" language files without detailed explanation what exactly you have improved.

@kss: although I respect your willingness to help, I disagree with you posting "alternative" files without telling what exactly you did, and for what purpose. Just saving "my_language.php" as "my_language-utf-8.php" will do the same trick you propose, no need to offer a separate package of some sort...

@all: having said all that, I'd like to mention that the role of "language-guru" is still vacant in the coppermine dev team. Anyone interessted should post here (don't PM me!). You'll need to have an in-depth understanding of languages, encoding, browsers and understand at least a little php for this "job". You should be ready to run this language-guru job for a longer time, since you'll need to adjust and understand the software in the first place...

GauGau

kss

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2004, 12:03:32 pm »

hi

@nova-bossa
{
i have no idea why it doesnt work in your gallery

Its mine:
http://www.lidzbarkwarminski.pl/galeria
It's still beta version but the languages work well. I have tried this not only on my computer.

Can anyone visit the site and test it so we can be sure its not the browser fault??

of couse - in config the encoding must be set to utf-8, but for sure you have done this
}

@GauGau
{
i have described what i have done a post earlier although i dont understand why it works
i dont want to create separate package - i have just send well coded utf-8 files in order to test it by others and improve the coppermine package by dev team
}

KSS

« Last Edit: June 21, 2004, 12:21:03 pm by kss »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 19 queries.