Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Change request: Sort order in "Edit files" dialogue  (Read 2626 times)

peterlustig

• Coppermine regular visitor
Change request: Sort order in "Edit files" dialogue
« on: November 03, 2010, 03:18:08 pm »

Hi everybody,

if I am not taken wrong, the sort order for the files in the "Edit files" dialogue cannot be influenced? At least it doesn't seem to be influenced by the "Default sort order for files" in the gallery settings (section "Thumbnail view").

I try to give my pictures within an album always a logical sequence, so that they tell a story. To be able to do this, I add a counter as a prefix to the filename, so that sorting the files by their name gives the order I want the files to appear in. For the gallery view this works perfectly. However, as for the "Edit Files" dialogue, it seems to be the exact opposite -- last file appears first. I don't understand why it is this way, but it doesn't make too much sense to me.

Might it be that the order of appearance in this dialogue is by time of addition to the database, which would imply that the batch-add-dialogue maybe adds the latest file first? Anyhow, I don't understand the logic behind it.

For future revisions I would strongly recommend that the order of appearance in this dialogue follows the standard "filename ascending" behavior. Or, even better, the sort order should be manipulable by the user in this dialogue as well....

Cheers, Peter

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
Re: Change request: Sort order in "Edit files" dialogue
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 04:15:29 pm »

Might it be that the order of appearance in this dialogue is by time of addition to the database, which would imply that the batch-add-dialogue maybe adds the latest file first? Anyhow, I don't understand the logic behind it.
Batch-add adds the files by file name ascending (= as displayed). 'Edit files' shows the files by pid descending (= latest file first).

For future revisions I would strongly recommend that the order of appearance in this dialogue follows the standard "filename ascending" behavior.
That's no option imo, as we use 'Edit files' e.g. after the upload via the flash uploader to give the user the possibility to add some meta data. If we display it in another order, the user has to search his recently added files.

the sort order should be manipulable by the user in this dialogue as well....
There's already a feature request. I don't know if we can add it to the cpg1.5.x core, but I'm sure it will be added to cpg1.6.x.

peterlustig

• Coppermine regular visitor
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 03:30:06 pm »

That's no option imo, as we use 'Edit files' e.g. after the upload via the flash uploader to give the user the possibility to add some meta data. If we display it in another order, the user has to search his recently added files.

Understood. In cases where the user adds more and more pictures to the same album, on subsequent dates, this makes sense. However, when you typically upload once into an album, then -- at least in my eyes -- it makes more sense the other way round (pictures telling a story....).

However, the order the pictures get uploaded and added via the flash dialogue is strange as well. I added pictures with the following filenames (they were selected clicking first on the first, shift-clicking on the last)

2000-001.jpg
2000-002.jpg
2000-003.jpg
2500-001.jpg
2500-002.jpg
2500-003.jpg

In the file edit dialogue they appear in the following order

2500-002
2500-001
2000-003
2000-002
2000-001
2500-003

Doesn't make sense to me.

Cheers, Peter

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 03:46:42 pm »

However, the order the pictures get uploaded and added via the flash dialogue is strange as well. I added pictures with the following filenames (they were selected clicking first on the first, shift-clicking on the last)

2000-001.jpg
2000-002.jpg
2000-003.jpg
2500-001.jpg
2500-002.jpg
2500-003.jpg

In the file edit dialogue they appear in the following order

2500-002
2500-001
2000-003
2000-002
2000-001
2500-003
Cannot confirm. Works for me as expected.

When I select the pictures like you, the 'file' string in the upload dialog looks like
"2500-003.jpg" "2000-001.jpg" "2000-002.jpg" "2000-003.jpg" "2500-001.jpg" "2500-002.jpg"
(last clicked file first, then ordered by file name ascending) but they the flash uploader uploads them all by file name ascending. Maybe there's some kind of sorting on the client side. Anyway, I don't know what we can do in that case, as editfiles.php works as expected.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 19 queries.