Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thumbnail / icon for user  (Read 4635 times)

ArnieW

• Coppermine newbie
Thumbnail / icon for user
« on: September 20, 2010, 11:54:30 am »

I try to find out how I can assign a thumbnail image to identify a user.
As far I can see, always the first uploaded images of the user is used for the user thumbnail.
I hope there is a way to set a specific images for the user, an images that not necessary in one of the user albums.
Perfect would be a upload link for an image when setting up a user account.
Does someone have an idea?

Jeff Bailey

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Fishing relaxes me.
    • Bailey Family Co.
Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it. - Henry Ford

ArnieW

• Coppermine newbie
Re: Thumbnail / icon for user
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 02:26:53 am »

Hi Jeff
Sorry I didn't add a link to my gallery, but I wrongly assumed it wasn't necessary as this post is not about a actual problem with the gallery, more a additional function. But here is the link www.cudgenschool.com

The second link you added to your answer lead to the documentation for Album thumbnails.
This is not what I was looking for! As I said I like to  give users a specific thumbnail or icon or avatar. So in the User gallery overview page (home>user galleries / mygallery/index.php?cat=1) you can identify users by this image. At the time it seems not possible to assign a specific images as user thumbnail, it is always the first uploaded images of a user.

Jeff Bailey

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Fishing relaxes me.
    • Bailey Family Co.
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 02:34:59 am »

The link is needed for many reasons but this isn't the place to discuss that.

Sorry I misunderstood you. Try => http://documentation.coppermine-gallery.net/en/configuration.htm#admin_custom
Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it. - Henry Ford

ArnieW

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 03:10:54 am »

Hi Jeff
Thanks, I have now a images assigned to the user by using the profile 6 and it shows up in the user profile page. Do you have an idea how to use this images for the user thumbnail in mygallery/index.php?cat=1 instead of the thumbnail of the first uploaded image?
Which file creates the thumbnail for the user in that page. I tired before to find it and I found $user_thumb in the files index.php and profile.php but that was how far I got.

Jeff Bailey

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Fishing relaxes me.
    • Bailey Family Co.
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 05:08:43 am »

At http://cudgenschool.southbeachimages.com.au/index.php?cat=1

I see Class 01 and Class 02. Are these what you want to have a specific thumbnail assigned to?
If so, these are categories not users. => http://documentation.coppermine-gallery.net/en/categories.htm#cat_album_thumbnail

ArnieW

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 05:59:35 am »

Hi Jeff
Yes this is what I trying to do, but it starts getting very confusing right now.
1. from the start page I have the link: classroom galleries -> /index.php?cat=1
2. the page /index.php?cat=1 shows a thumbnail images for each user (in my case class 01 and class 02) that have a album in his Gallery with at least one image.
3. Clicking on this thumbnail opens a page showing all albums that the user has in his own gallery, in case of class 01 the page called: /index.php?cat=10021
If so, these are categories not users.
Yes and no, the thumbnails on the page /index.php?cat=1 represent a user, with the name of the user displayed below as well as the amount of albums and files the user has.
Also the category /index.php?cat=10021 seems not really to be a category, because it do not appear in the category list: /catmgr.php and there for I am not able to do changes to it or to assign a specific thumbnail.

Jeff Bailey

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Fishing relaxes me.
    • Bailey Family Co.
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 08:16:28 am »

Ahh I see the issue, these are user galleries. I didn't realize you changed the name.

Hmm It may be easier to create a main Category (classroom galleries) then two sub categories (Class 01 and Class 02) and allow only group Class 01 to upload to One and Class 02 to the other. With that set up you should be able to assign a thumb to the category.

If you don't want to do that, you could try and assign an album (Album 01) a thumbnail of a picture in that album and have the user go into their album manager and move the album to the top of the list.

Hope that I'm reading you clearly now.

ArnieW

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 08:34:12 am »

Hi Jeff
Yes you are reading this right!
And your solution would work, I believe, but it is a "work around" to the problem, that it is not possible to assign a avatar to a user.
I find it a bit "complicated" to create a album with a image you want to use as a "avatar" images for a user or in my case a class and it would also mean a album with one image is in the user album list.
Using the idea to add a image path using profile 6 seams to be much better, but still there is the problem how to assign this image as thumbnail for user/class in the user gallery overview (/index.php?cat=1)

Still the best way would be to be able to upload a images as avatar while setting up an user account and than use this images in the user gallery overview.
I know this is going to be a major addition to the gallery, but I also think it would be a really good addition, not only for me.

Jeff Bailey

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Fishing relaxes me.
    • Bailey Family Co.
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 08:46:45 am »

AFAIK nothing like that is available yet, but I am not a dev. Maybe one of them will look into that option for you, if none of them get around to it and I find the time I'll look into a possible solution.

Joe Carver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka 'i-imagine'
    • Home Page
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 12:08:33 am »

AFAIK nothing like that is available yet.....

@ Jeff, It could be done by a plugin, the results might even be fun....

In index.php the hook   user_caption_params  can be used to modify the output/display of user's info.

In profile.php the hook   profile_add_data    can be used to add a field to the user profile info. (Although the creative use of an existing field might make things more simple)

If I had some time I would try to make something but can not even consider it now.

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 04:56:33 pm »

It may be easier to create a main Category (classroom galleries) then two sub categories (Class 01 and Class 02) and allow only group Class 01 to upload to One and Class 02 to the other. With that set up you should be able to assign a thumb to the category.
That would be the easiest solution imo, but allows to use only images from albums in that category as 'avatar'. I'll have a look soon if/how you can use your profile 6 field as category thumbnail.

adeibiza

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 02:43:16 pm »

was this ever implemented - i'd like to be able to allow users to upload their own picture/photo/avatar so that it shows in the album list rather than than a random photo
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 19 queries.