Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Too many convert.exe at the same time use too much memory  (Read 8450 times)

pierrela

• Coppermine newbie
Too many convert.exe at the same time use too much memory
« on: June 07, 2004, 11:57:46 pm »

Hi,

I try to add multiple pictures at once (I put them in the album before). Thepictures are quite heavy, 1.5 Mo each.
It's working but CPG is launching several instances of convert at the same time, about 8. It's using so much memory my computer performances are runnig down.

I would like to know if there is a way to limit CPG so that it launch an instance of convert (Imagemagick) anc wait until it has finish before sending another one.

Thanks in advance.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Too many convert.exe at the same time use too much memory
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 08:12:22 am »

not possible at the moment, add less pics in one go, or use GD.

GauGau

dleach

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 12:53:34 am »

I'm also somewhat frustrated with the performance of the batch upload. I have several hundred pictures I'm trying to upload to the database and I'm finding that I have to do it one at a time. If I use GD2 then I find that my server will hang. If I use Imagemagick then if I do more then a couple at a time it just kills the machine.

In my case, I have direct access to the server. It isn't the fastest of machines, but I'm curious how these sites handle such large numbers of uploads? I've also seen a number of threads in this forum complaining about this issue but there doesn't seem to be any answers nor does there seem to be a plan on how to handle this.

David

Nibbler

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 01:03:47 am »

Batch uploading is a resource intensive process, you can't really get around that. You might like to check this mod which processes pics in serial instead of in parallel.

dleach

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 06:19:53 am »

I think I found a better way around this... and I don't have to change any code. I use Photoshop CS to batch convert my files to the appropriate thumb_<name> and normal_<name> files. Then I upload all the files to my server. When I do a batch add the code is already in place (in add_picture()) to know that the thumb and normal files are already there and that it doesn't have to call resize_image() to create them.

This allows fairly quick batch uploads of files. The only problem I've seen is that it may take me several attempts to upload all my files (not sure why). But in the end it is much quicker then uploading a single image and letting the system convert the file into the thumb and normal images.

Note that this works with the 1.4.1 version of Coppermine (the one I'm currently using).

David
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 10:31:12 pm by dleach »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 12:42:02 am »

Note that this works with the 1.4.1 version of Coppermine (the one I'm currently using).
Works in all coppermine versions this way.

dleach

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 07:52:31 pm »

Yeah... I figured that out. There are a number of performance related threads in this forum of people looking for a way around this performance problem. Seems that this is one answer to their problems and could be something highlighted in some documentation.... just a suggestion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 18 queries.