Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions nginx and moving a huge gallery from IP.Gallery  (Read 4671 times)

beentold

• Coppermine newbie
Questions nginx and moving a huge gallery from IP.Gallery
« on: July 24, 2010, 01:36:14 pm »

Hi there,
at the moment I am using IP.Gallery (with IP.Board) and we have a huge gallery with over 12GB of images. I am moving to a new vserver with nginx to improve performance over apache.

Someone told me that Coppermine Gallery might be a better alternative for big galleries. What are your experiences with Coppermine and huge galleries? Does it perform well? Has someone ever made the switch from IP.Gallery and can tell me about their experiences?

Also, is Coppermine Gallery able to run on nginx? If yes, can anyone tell me about their experience running it on nginx?

beentold

• Coppermine newbie
Re: Questions nginx and moving a huge gallery from IP.Gallery
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 05:18:46 pm »

Did I put this in the wrong forum? So many views and no replies. :( Not trying to moan or anything. Just wondering.

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 06:16:51 pm »

It is possibly because none of us has used the setup you describe. Galleries of that size are not normally a problem on a good server. It all depends on so many factors that we cannot really give you the answers you need. There are no physical limits to the amount of images Coppermine can handle, it is all down to the limits of the system it is placed upon.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

beentold

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 07:34:58 pm »

I guess my main question is: how efficient is Coppermine in terms of using the available resources? My impression is that IP.Board and its IP.Gallery are not very efficient at all (which surprised me).

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 07:42:00 pm »

If you configure it in an optimal way then it is very efficient. It all depends on what features you use. For instance, and I am certain you are aware of this, if you expect your server to resize large images en mass, add watermarks, log everything etc then it will consume more server resources. If configured well coppermine does a very good job of keeping server load to a minimum and has proved itself on hundreds of thousands of websites.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

beentold

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 07:44:51 pm »

I know what you mean... I guess the proof of the pudding is in the eating. I'll just have to try and see how it goes. Is there a converter/importer for IP.Gallery to Coppermine?

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 04:45:13 pm »

Is there a converter/importer for IP.Gallery to Coppermine?
I'm not aware of one, but I never asked Google ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 19 queries.