Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I cannot find the Theme Settings tab  (Read 23607 times)

guntherize

• Coppermine novice
    • Photo Showdown
I cannot find the Theme Settings tab
« on: July 21, 2010, 05:13:14 am »

I just had someone install the updated 1.5.6 version of Coppermine and would like to change the theme, but cannot find the Theme Settings tab.  Does this version not come with the tab in the drop down menu?

Here is a link to my Coppermine Gallery:

http://photoshowdown.com/main/coppermine/

I read some of the threads on the support page and saw that some had listed a Theme Settings tab in the Config. drop menu, but I do not seem to have it there.  Is there something missing? I tried to do a versions check and received this message:

Error 500 - Internal server error

An internal server error has occured!
Please try again later.

This can't be a good sign.  I have had troubles finding a reliable person who can assist me with uploads and help placing plugins etc.  The person I hired to update my site was also not able to change the theme and told me that my previous theme was outdated.  I did see on your site that the "Rainy Day" has been continued. 

Is there something that I'm missing, or am I just not looking in the correct place.

Thank you in advance.

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict

guntherize

• Coppermine novice
    • Photo Showdown
Re: I cannot find the Theme Settings tab
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 05:32:06 pm »

I'm sorry, the theme folder as well as all the rest of the coppermine parts has already been installed.  That is why I am confused. 

guntherize

• Coppermine novice
    • Photo Showdown
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 06:23:06 pm »

Well, this whole process of upgrading the site to 1.5.6 has been a real nightmare for me.  The reason I went to the upgrade is because someone I thought would be knowledgeable regarding coppermine told me it would be the only way to solve certain issues that I have with 1.4.  Those issues are that I have constant spammers trying to get onto the site by registering via bots.  I wanted to have a code verification process and I was told that I would have to upgrade.  I also had several issues with the getting emails sent to my members when a comment was left.  I had this function years ago and when I upgraded to 1.4 it broke and I could never get it fixed. I hired a couple a people I met here at this site, but no one could fix it for me. This issue also coincided with the mass-email function also not working. 

Anyhow, I was told that an upgrade was going to me my salvation and solution.  Now, I have a whole host of new issues like the theme settings and members not being able to leave a comment on moment and the next it works... then it doesn't work again.  I can't figure out what is happening to the site and my members are getting very impatient.  So, here is the message I've had returned from the person I hired to do the upgrade:

"I just realised that coppermine doesnt offer email notification of comments.Its used as an addon-plugin.I thought it was built in.Hmmm.A plugin like this isnt released for the upgraded version 1.5 .Its basically for the 1.4 version.Hmmm . .So..i have searched and found a plugin-mod pack that includes many things and email notification for 1.4 .Do you want to restore the old site?In this case everything will be EXACTLY like before,cause database hasnt been touched,files are the same.I will also install the captcha module for the spam-bots users.What do you think about this now?"

You would think this person would have know this before they suggested I go through the upgrade, which began Saturday and has take this long to figure out that it wouldn't work.  The only thing that has changed is that there is a code checker that prevents hackers from coming in.  But, now I have to approve every photo that is entered and I can't be monitoring the site that often to check what time someone has entered a photo.  My members have always had the luxury to see there photos entered into the pool immediately after entering.

So, my final question here before I go back to the 1.4 version is.... Can I get a plugin to allow for mass e-mailing and members to be notified when a comment is left to their e-mail addresses.  And... Is there a way to turn off the administrator having to check every photo that is entered.  That being me of course.  I know you'll probably refer me to place an ad for the help section, but I've done that three times now and it has not helped me.  I just need an answer as to what I should do now. 

Thank you for your time and consideration.  It is much more appreciated than you know.

Gunther

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 06:35:54 pm »

I'm still not sure what you mean with 'theme settings tab'. I thought you want to change the theme of your website. If so, do as suggested:
add the parameter theme=foobar to the address bar in your browser (in above example, you would go to http://your_site.tld/your_coppermine_folder/?theme=foobar)

So, my final question here before I go back to the 1.4 version is.... Can I get a plugin to allow for mass e-mailing and members to be notified when a comment is left to their e-mail addresses.  And... Is there a way to turn off the administrator having to check every photo that is entered.  That being me of course.
We have a 'one question per thread' rule. I suggest to read the docs, as there is explained how you disable admin approval (it's in the group manager). Search the plugin page if some of the plugins fits your needs or start to code a plugin or hire someone who create one for you.

guntherize

• Coppermine novice
    • Photo Showdown
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 07:04:47 pm »

And I suggest you get someone that has better manners than constantly insulting people looking for help.  I told you I have gone through your little circus of rules and regulations only to get no where.  This has been going on for over 2 years now with you and people answering questions on this site.  What I have found is that:

#1 You are on a power trip and feel you really don't care about helping people
#2 You feel that by diverting people to the other pages that they will either get frustrated and leave you alone or go elsewhere... which again shows that you do not care about helping people
#3 You love to feel superior over anyone else and obviously have issues with self esteem.

I suggest you get real people here that really want to help.  Make them pay if they have to, but I'm tired of being treated like an idiot and not getting any satisfaction or resolve whatsoever.  I have figured out the solution to the theme issue all by myself.  No thanks to you and as I commented before the themes were already installed. 

Go ahead a black ball me now, which is what you seem to do when there is ever something doesn't go your way.  You will also deleted this post, which also shows your lack of really trying to help and format constructive solutions.  No, I don't think I'll go back through all your pages of self indulgence and ruthless slander to those who are not as knowledgable as you.  But, guess what my friend... you do not know it all... and someday you'll discover that you have much more to learn than to teach.

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 09:09:40 pm »

We never delete threads unless they are spam or contain so much swearing they will offend. As such your thread will remain showing all what a nice, considerate person you are.

There was absolutely no need for your outburst. None of us are paid to help here. You pay nothing to use the software nor for our support. We have a few rules in an attempt to help people. The one question per thread really helps us to follow the many support questions we have every day. It also helps users to find good answers easier.

As for your comments about us not caring about people you should ask yourself why we spent so much time creating Coppermine then spend so much of our on time for free helping our users? If you think we do not care about our users then you could not be further from the truth.

We also care about our team of dedicated supporters who should not have to put up with attitudes such as yours. There really is and was no need for it. Andre was asking for more information on your problem, simple as that. The team, and especially Joachim, have spent thousands of hours creating some superb documentation to help our users. We post links to that documentation to save us time writing it out again. If you are too lazy to follow those links and read that information then why should we put the effort in to help you? If you then throw all your toys out of the pram simply because you would rather be spoon fed then doubly so.

Quote from: guntherize
ruthless slander

Maybe you should look that up in the dictionary as you obviously do not understand what it means.

Quote from: guntherize
you have much more to learn than to teach
Life would be very dull if we knew everything. Maybe you should listen to yourself there. You obviously need to learn the difference between someone trying to help you and someone just posting to make you life harder.

You should also try to learn that not everyone has English as their first language. Andre for instance is German but does speak English well. To native English speakers German does come accross as abrupt and even more so when a native German speaker writes in English. Please bear that in mind should you ever want support again.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

guntherize

• Coppermine novice
    • Photo Showdown
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 10:41:49 pm »

<Andre for instance is German but does speak English well>  German is my first language as well, but I am not responding about just one incident.  The abruptness, having to be reprimanded about doing my homework is great if I want to be a programmer.  I like many others here only want help and have been willing to pay for it.  For over two years I have come back to this site from time to time and alway get treated the same way.  I've paid for help and still have the same issues!  "Do your homework first, read all our threads, check to see if the solution has already been solved, read our sticky notes, you're only allowed one question... etc."  Common guys... this is not grade school.  I've done the research and tried to find the answer.  I'm sorry but some of the language I just don't understand... hence the reason I came here for help.  I don't have countless hours to sit around reading a book worth of material and alway get a back slap remark to do my research.  I don't want to do any more research.  I have had so called experts on your site spend countless hours on my site only to tell me that they couldn't help me in the end.  Three people now and I have the same exact issues.  I've come to you because I thought you had the answers.  You call me an inconsiderate person?  You think my threads come across that way.  Well maybe this one thread does, but put together the years of frustration and standard procedures that are slapped at me, others coming here would have a more clear picture of the way things are handled here.  I always start off polite and always end up frustrated.

I appreciate that Coppermine is an open source program.  I am understanding and considerate up to a point.   But, when I am constantly made to feel like a child.  I dedicate countless hours to help others, but I'm not here to brag... but, I also don't need a lesson on how to care for people.  <If you are too lazy to follow those links and read that information then why should we put the effort in to help you?>  This statement is just another example of how you continually piss me off.  Here you start name calling and you guys have no clue who I am and what I do on a daily basis.  Of course you are in control here and can just bash and trash anyone who dares to voice a disgruntled opinion.   

I think I have used coppermine for around five or six years now and instead of it getting better for me it has only gotten worse.  Every time I try to work out the bugs, I am told to upgrade and it always creates more problems than it was worth.  Have you really tried to direct me to help?  Are you listening to my problems?  Every time you direct me to something that I have already done and tried.  I wouldn't be here if it wasn't a last resort.  I go by what the people who have worked on my site have told me and then when they give up on me I'm left trying to pick up the pieces and make my site work again.

You ask that I don't understand the meaning of ruthless slander.  Well let me see:
Main Entry:   ruthless
Part of Speech:   adjective
Definition:   mean, heartless
Synonyms:    adamant, barbarous, brutal, callous, cold, cold-blooded, cruel, cutthroat, dog-eat-dog, feral, ferocious, fierce, grim, hard, hard-hearted, harsh, implacable, inexorable, inhuman, ironfisted, killer, malevolent, merciless, mortal, obdurate, pitiless, rancorous, relentless, remorseless, revengeful, sadistic, savage, severe, stern, stony, surly, unappeasable, unfeeling, unforgiving, unmerciful, unrelenting, unsympathetic, unyielding, vicious, vindictive, without pity

Main Entry:   slander
Part of Speech:   noun
Definition:   scandalous remark
Synonyms:    aspersion, backbiting, backstabbing, belittlement, black eye, calumny, defamation, depreciation, detraction, dirt*, dirty linen, disparagement, hit*, libel, lie, misrepresentation, muckraking, mud, mud-slinging, obloquy, rap, scandal, slam*, slime, smear, tale

You and others that run this board come across to me as mean and backbiting.  You'd rather sling mud and resort to calling me lazy, instead of privately messaging me and trying to communicate in a way where something could be resolved.  Maybe that is why only a hand-full of your threads are resolved.  Oh yes, I choose the correct words... You are adamant, ferocious and fierce defending your ground. Without pity you are easy to defame people like me... by belittling me. 

About two years ago I pleaded for help and was told that I needed to place a price I was willing to pay in order to receive any.  Please don't come across too noble about your cause to help humanity.  After jumping through all the hoops, being scolded like a small school boy, and yes I had some threads deleted that had no profanity in them... I never got the solution I came here for.  Call me insane for coming here again trying to get a different result.  Go ahead insult me some more and call me a "spoon fed" baby.  Perhaps you should look at how you treat people and read your own words again.  At best you are a hypocrite.

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 11:31:21 pm »

I do not have the time to go back through all your threads. I am basing my comments on how you acted on this thread, one you now admit is not your best and you now obviously want and arguement. I found your remarks directed at Andre left a bad taste and I stand by my response in defending him. You also admit that you do not want to do the research. If you don't want to do the work what is that if not being spoon fed?

I am trying with you here. Had I not been I would have responded, locked the thread and banned you. But I have chosen to have a frank chat in the open and not hide behind the PM system. I believe in doing things in the open as I have nothing to hide here and no hidden agenda.

As for your comments about having paid, what has that got to do with me? I've recieved no payment from you. If you have paid a freelancer and not got what you have paid for then it is them you should take it up with and not come on here expecting us to do the work you have paid someone else for.

Just out of curiousity what dictionary gives the definition of slander to be "scandalous remark"? A very poor one IMO.

From a good one -

slan·der (slndr)
n.
1. Law Oral communication of false statements injurious to a person's reputation.

Note the word "Oral"! Slander in a UK court of law means the spoken word, in print it is libel. I also fail to see where in this thread Andre made statements "Injurious to your reputation". So that is 2 reasons why your comment was incorrect.

I'll look into your past history now.

guntherize

• Coppermine novice
    • Photo Showdown
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 11:46:58 pm »

You know what I am done with you.  You care less about helping and more about being correct.  Go back to the school yard and continue your games.  I'm done with your useless information, and No I'm not spoon fed... and I'm certainly not going to take anymore of your crap either.  I didn't attack anyone here, only defended myself.  Goodbye and best of luck.  You are now on ignore!

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 11:58:23 pm »

You are now on ignore!

Fine by me, it is your loss.

I've just looked back at your previous threads and it seems you have been struggling for a long time. All the advice you have been given was good and I did try to give you the best advice I could. Maybe you should ask yourself why so many, even those you have paid to help you, have walked away from you.

Goodbye and best of luck.

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 10:03:56 am »

I still don't know what the 'theme settings tab' is after that unrelated discussion. We cannot help you if we don't know what you are talking about ::)

I've paid for help and still have the same issues!
[..]
I have had so called experts on your site spend countless hours on my site only to tell me that they couldn't help me in the end.
We always give free support. If you paid somebody, we're not responsible for that. So please don't blame us if those persons made a worse job.

Coppermine works for a lot of people out of the box. So if it doesn't work for you, you have to describe exactly what your problem is or what you want to achieve. But if you fail to describe your problems or what you've already done, it's not surprising that nobody can help you.

guntherize

• Coppermine novice
    • Photo Showdown
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 08:20:13 pm »

I only wanted to let you know that I found the solution to the theme setting tab myself.  Whatever the default theme that was originally posted to my site after the upgrade to 1.5.6 , I couldn't find the way to switch the theme.  Either could the person who upgraded the script for me.  I kept checking and checking back and finally found that the drop down menu was not the only way to click on links and if you actually pressed the Config button and not just scroll over to allow the drop down menu to appear it would show you a host of other commands!  DUH - how stupid of me!  Now I have the rainy day theme that I am more accustomed to. 

I'm sorry that I could not put into the correct terminology what I needed. I looked up on google to find that THEME SETTINGS TAB took me to a web hosting company that deals with coppermine.  I figured that this would be the correct way to phrase my question.

Anyhow, I'm still trying to solve other issues and will open up another thread.  Hopefully my choice of words to describe will be more precise and understandable.

santhony

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 05:57:47 am »

Thank you for coming back to answer this post. I was also stuck in the same situation since a few sites I went to kept telling me to find the "themes tab".

I'm familiar with previous versions of Coppermine, but its been a while since I used it and when I upgraded it changed.

Clicking on the config option instead of hoovering over gave me the options I was looking for.  Thank you!

Media66

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 08:55:33 pm »

Me too i was lost.. thanks guntherize.for answering you own Q i´m sure you helped at lot of us.
And i agree with you all the way and what a good reply you made.
instead of answering you very simple Q. the supporters start´s and battle of words and what they mean.
Supporters just answer the man..or say it like it is you cant figure it out your self.
i too have delt with these "supporters" that dont support att all. time to step up or step down if you dont want to help.
get a life. instead of ramming people who asks a simple Q.
have a nice one..
regards Media66

Media66

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2010, 09:00:30 pm »

Me too i was lost.. thanks guntherize.for answering you own Q i´m sure you helped at lot of us.
And i agree with you all the way and what a good reply you made.
instead of answering you very simple Q. the supporters start´s and battle of words and what they mean.
Supporters just answer the man..or say it like it is you cant figure it out your self.
i too have delt with these "supporters" that dont support att all. time to step up or step down if you dont want to help.
get a life. instead of ramming people who asks a simple Q.
have a nice one..
regards Media66
and what part this is that you supporters dont understand. it very clear what he means.
"I just had someone install the updated 1.5.6 version of Coppermine and would like to change the theme, but cannot find the Theme Settings tab"

Jeff Bailey

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Fishing relaxes me.
    • Bailey Family Co.
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2010, 09:05:26 pm »

Locking
Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it. - Henry Ford

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2010, 09:51:19 pm »

Locking
Thanks.

@Media66: nice start here in the forum. Congratulations. Why should I don't tell people how they can change the theme? Maybe we had a language barrier here, but I didn't know what guntherize meant until he posted his solution.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 20 queries.