Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Poll

Do you want a "Guest Password on Private Album" feature? [Please, read thread first]

Yes
- 5 (100%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sharing Private Album  (Read 3995 times)

vuxes

• Coppermine newbie
Sharing Private Album
« on: June 03, 2004, 09:06:18 am »

Hello,

I searched the forum and found this thread that answered almost all my questions:

http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=2385.0

As site admin, I can set up a family group and set its privileges to view only.

However, how do you allow a registered user to share his or her private album with family and friends? The latter, of course, can only view, not edit, the album. Plus, they should not have to register just to view the album.

My solution has been the following:
- set up a family group for that user (privilege allows upload)
- assign user to that family group
- as family and friends register, they are also assigned to that family group (plus the Registered group)

This "solution" has 3 problems:
1. I, as the Admin, have to create the family group and assign users one by one to the family group as they register (which means a constant email exchange to be notified a user is family)
2. Everyone assigned to that family group also has upload privileges -- want only view privilege for guests
3. Guests have to register (believe it or not, most just give up at this point)

Ideal solution:
- When specifying an album as private, give user the option of creating a guest password to that album (not to the gallery, just to that album -- i.e. it's only an extra field on that particular table)
- user just has to send that password (user id always defaults to "guest") to family and friends together with a link to the private album
- guests click on link, arrive at the private album and is prompted with user id and password, and gain access to the album with view only privilege

Is the ideal solution possible today, and I just missed it???

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 05, 2004, 06:35:13 am by vuxes »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Sharing Private Album
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2004, 12:41:20 pm »

Has been requested before, currently not possible. Moved to feature requests...

GauGau

doggystyle

• Contributor
  • Coppermine novice
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2004, 02:28:56 pm »

in my opinion the solution in this thread http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=1112.0
is working perfect. sadly the author (oasis) is to busy even to send the "how-to"  :\'(

vuxes

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2004, 06:26:43 am »

Thanks doggystyle for the link!

I read Gau Gau's suggestion in that link thread, and implemented the following until we get the password functionality in a future version ;o):

In this example, user is "ABC" and is "Registered"

1. Create a new group "ABC Family" with no upload privilege
2. Create a new user "ABC-guest" and assign to group "ABC Family" (drop down list says "ABC Family", check box "ABC Family" is ON)
3. Assign new group "ABC Family" to user "ABC" (i.e. click checkbox ON)

"ABC" is still "Registered" (Drop-down list) and has check boxes "Registered" and "ABC Family" checked ON

Now it's up to user "ABC" to allow a particular private album to be viewable by "ABC Family", and to give out the password for user "ABC-guest"

Clearly it's not perfect and simply a bandaid solution: it's a lot of work for the Admin (if every user asks for this functionality), plus a guest could change the password for "ABC-guest" and lock other guests out

Thanks all,
V

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 22 queries.