Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: adding more pictures to albums makes files bigger...  (Read 13552 times)

ramicio

• Coppermine newbie
adding more pictures to albums makes files bigger...
« on: June 27, 2010, 08:00:27 am »

This is on windows...I'm using PNG files, so i don't know if this applies to other formats.  If I add files to a folder, and go in to add them, of course i gotta select the old ones, too, well it seems to rewrite all full sized files.  They are 640x960, and it is rewriting them to 2.34mb per file, and they vary in size around 500kb.  I try to make the files read-only, but it for some reason makes the folder read-only, and it won't create thumbnails if the folder is read-only.  I can't take the read-only attribute off the folder without it wanting to make the files within writable.  I don't have the space for this to happen.  I have almost 8000 pictures and this bug or whatever it is is making them take up almost 18gb.  What is the problem here?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: adding more pictures to albums makes files bigger...
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 09:26:55 am »

What is the problem here?
Initial problem is that you haven't paid attention to board rules.

it seems to rewrite all full sized files.
That's a matter of config. Since you haven't posted what your config settings are we can hardly advice.

I try to make the files read-only, but it for some reason makes the folder read-only, and it won't create thumbnails if the folder is read-only.
Expected behaviour and not what you're supposed to do.

I have almost 8000 pictures and this bug or whatever it is is making them take up almost 18gb.  What is the problem here?
Shouting bug and being confrontational as well as not doing as suggested makes supporters reluctant to look into your issues. You had a bad start. Do as suggested per board rules, read the details of the docs that I have refered to and then re-phrase your question, posting the needed details. Attaching a screenshot of the relevant settings of your config screen won't hurt.

ramicio

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 08:02:09 pm »

dude take a chill pill, i wasn't being confrontational.  that link to the config doesn't help.  you're not getting the issue i guess.  the pictures i have aren't being resized at all, they are gaining file size, and to all be the same size, which is inconsistent with png, because it is a compression scheme.  anyway i changed the default mode for files to 0444 and so far all is good.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 08:05:45 am »

I suggest you review what I have posted and do as suggested there. If you don't and insist on posting nonsense about permissions, you'll go ignored.

ramicio

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 03:56:34 pm »

i don't just post for nothing...i read documentation and do all i can figure out before i post things.  i have had the option to auto-resize off since i set it up before adding any pictures.  as i said before, the dimensions wouldn't change in the pictures, and they would all be the same size, so it is obvious there is some kinda data being written that isn't png, cause all png files should be differen't size.  they were also larger than a bitmap for that same resolution and color depth.  and as i said, what fixed it is setting default mode for files to 0444, so how was the solution not about permissions?

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 04:00:00 pm »

Revoke Coppermine's write privileges is maybe a solution for you. If you want to help to improve Coppermine (maybe you have discovered a bug), please post as much information as you can. I don't have png files in my gallery and don't recognized that behavior in my gallery so far.

ramicio

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 04:18:53 pm »

how do i post info about my config?  i have also been changing things since this happened so it may not be helpful.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 04:25:37 pm »

how do i post info about my config?
By doing as I suggested:
Attaching a screenshot of the relevant settings of your config screen won't hurt.

ramicio

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 04:41:57 pm »

all of the settings were the same while this was going on except the max file size was default 1024 kB.  i just changed that today.

http://ramsack.mine.nu/iphone4/ is the link to the gallery.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 06:41:40 pm »

This is on windows...
i changed the default mode for files to 0444 and so far all is good.
and as i said, what fixed it is setting default mode for files to 0444, so how was the solution not about permissions?
Applying posix-permissions under Windows; I wonder how you did that ::). Please elaborate.

http://ramsack.mine.nu/iphone4/ is the link to the gallery.
Well done, that's a first step. Now on to the second step: would you mind taking the screenshot showing your relevant config settings that has been discussed/requested before? Attach that screenshot to your posting - it's dead easy. You don't need any special tools to take that screenshot (see http://www.wikihow.com/Take-a-Screenshot-in-Microsoft-Windows).

ramicio

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 06:54:41 pm »

i did post a screen shot.  it is impossible to capture every setting in one screen shot.  i know you're a mod/admin, but i would appreciate if you would stop talking down to me like i am dumb...

i don't get what i need to elaborate on about the permissions.  i set those in coppermine and it works...  i'm guessing since it sees that it won't even try to modify image files anymore.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 07:16:07 pm »

i don't get what i need to elaborate on about the permissions.  i set those in coppermine and it works...  i'm guessing since it sees that it won't even try to modify image files anymore.
You can't set permissions in Coppermine's user interface on folder level - there is just a setting in Coppermine's config that is meant to be used if people have issues on particular webserver setups where they can specify what CHMOD command should be applied for resized images after resizing. As suggested in the permissions section of the docs there is no posix-command CHMOD on Windows, so that setting simply does NOTHING on Windows - it get's ignored. That's why I said that your remarks about permissions are irrelevant.

File size for the PNG file embedded into http://ramsack.mine.nu/iphone4/displayimage.php?album=1&pid=8050 (http://ramsack.mine.nu/iphone4/albums/iphone4/wallpaper-iphone4-33.png) is 292 kB, which doesn't appear to be that much imo for a 640 x 960 pixel PNG file - I can not replicate your issues. Post a deep link to a couple of files where the issues you claim to have appear.

What I can see though (and that's one of the many reasons why we request you to post a link to your gallery) is that you haven't configured your gallery properly - the setting "URL of your coppermine gallery folder" is set to https://localhost/iphone4/ instead of http://ramsack.mine.nu/iphone4/, which is one mistake that will almost certainly lead to issues.

it is impossible to capture every setting in one screen shot.
Well, then post two or three if you don't know to roll them into one... ::)

i know you're a mod/admin, but i would appreciate if you would stop talking down to me like i am dumb...
I'm not trying to treat you as if you were dumb. I'm treating you as someone who so far has been behaving difficult (arguing about board rules, not paying attention to supporter's advice), which is imo justified, given the circumstances that I don't get paid by your nor anybody else around here and that I'm spending my spare time to look into your issues - I can at least expect to be treated with respect. Paying attention to board rules is what I consider respectful treatment of a volunteer. After all, this is not the salvation army, that's why you can't expect that I'm going to be turning the other cheek.

i'm guessing since it sees that it won't even try to modify image files anymore.
Coppermine is just a bunch of PHP scripts, not a human being. It is not clever enough to be able to "see what you appear to be up to" and react accordingly. It's just a computer program, nothing more.

ramicio

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 07:28:00 pm »

i can't replicate it anymore...i don't understand.  if this happens again i will post back up with all my config settings.

ramicio

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 08:34:21 pm »

come to think it may have done this to the files before i set anything up.  even so, the 2.34 mb size corresponds to an uncompressed image that is 640x960 and 24 bits + alpha (png).  so whatever program went to rewrite these were rewriting them as an uncompressed image.  the file headers still had png in them, so i don't know how this is possible.  it is probably something in GD rather than coppermine, so i apologize.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2010, 07:23:15 am »

GD2 doesn't support alpha channels nor different color depths.

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2010, 08:22:49 am »

GD2 doesn't support alpha channels nor different color depths.
I have to disagree:
Version 2.0 adds support for truecolor images, alpha channels, resampling (for smooth resizing of truecolor images), and many other features.

I also fixed an alpha channel issue in r6850 (thread).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 19 queries.