Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Restrict use of images when not logged in  (Read 5005 times)

FYST

• Coppermine newbie
Restrict use of images when not logged in
« on: June 23, 2010, 10:20:12 am »

Hi,

first of all thanks for this great piece of code. I came across Coppermine just two days ago and it's really running smooth already.
I just have one wish, don't know if it's technically possible.

I use the gallery to share photos with friends, they have to log in so no Guest access should be available.
The restrictions on the gallery itself work fine, but nevertheless it is possible to give a picture link (for example http://yourwebserver/coppermine/normal_IMG_0001.JPG) to someone else who is NOT logged in and he still can open the picture. This means if my friends begin to embed and link single pictures and they spread around the web I can not control the use of my bandwith anymore. (For example if they post it in a huge internet forum)

I already searched for an option, maybe I didn't use the right words, sorry if there's already a solution which I missed.
Maybe this is by design and can't be changed, I don't know. Thanks in advance for your help.

FYST

• Coppermine newbie
Re: Restrict use of images when not logged in
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 10:54:26 am »

/e: Is it really necessary to post a link to my gallery, as my question is more of a theoretical nature? If yes, please be patient as you'd see all my pictures if I'd post a test account.

FYST

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 12:28:24 pm »

I'm not sure, but I think I found a solution. Even though http://documentation.coppermine-gallery.net/en/faq.htm#preventHotlinks states it only works for Unix/Linux I managed to save the file as .htaccess in Windows and it seems to work.

To verify if this is what I was looking for, could someone explain in what cases images are shown while using this, and in which cases not? As far as I understand when a referrer other than my own webserver is used the picture isn't shown. This means, my friends can link to pictures by Instant Messaging for example, but can not embed the pictures in forums etc.
Correct?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 12:31:55 pm »

Is it really necessary to post a link to my gallery, as my question is more of a theoretical nature?
Yes

aribro

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 02:00:52 pm »

There seems to be a plugin for cpg1.4.x called "Fullsize Access" which seems to do just what is desired (haven't found a 1.5 port yet).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 19 queries.