Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Closed]: Fatal error: Cannot redeclare ...  (Read 7563 times)

Crash86

• Coppermine newbie
[Closed]: Fatal error: Cannot redeclare ...
« on: June 23, 2010, 12:14:50 am »

Hi Guys,

Tried to update from 1.4.7 or 8 I think to 1.5.6. Uploaded the contents of the zip file minus "albums" folder via FTP.
Unfortunately the result is as follows: http://www.xbomber.co.uk/xarchive

I tried forcing the default theme but that hasn't worked. Basically, no part of the gallery seems to operate.

Can you help me out?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 07:37:07 am by Joachim Müller »

Joe Carver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka 'i-imagine'
    • Home Page
Re: Fatal error: Cannot redeclare ...
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 12:35:34 am »

Tried to update from 1.4.7 or 8 I think .......
Was that out-dated version working when you upgraded?

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare...."(various)".....
Occurs on too many pages which indicates that you have not replaced all of the cpg files as instructed in the
Documents link at the top of this page. It could also indicate that you have .htacces files where they don't belong.

First re-read the instructions for upgrading. Replace the only the files and folders as indicated. Make sure that you run update afterwards. Use a good FTP app. Your server's file/folder structure should be the same as what you have unzipped locally. Re-read the instructions if you aren't sure what you need to do.

onthepike

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 01:08:11 am »

Your documents folder appears to be version 1.5.6, however your default theme seems to be an un-converted modified classic theme from the 1.4.27 version.

Your themes directory is both incomplete and of incorrect version. To use your older theme with 1.5.6, please read the section of your docs pertaining to Converting cpg1.4.x themes to cpg1.5.x after you have properly upgraded as per the instructions by Joe Carver*.

Additionally, please leave the default Curve theme on your server to verify proper installation.

*Couldn't find any extra .htaccess files at this time.

Crash86

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 01:55:20 am »

My previous version was fully operation hence my slight horror, lol.

I'll make a backup of this messed-up installation, delete everything outside of /albums/ and try uploading again.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 07:44:12 am »

Don't just blindly upload the new files. There is a full set of instructions available in the upgrade documentation. It doesn't just say: upload the core files and that's it.

Crash86

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 12:52:59 pm »

Well, to be fair the documentation says this:

"Backup your include/config.inc.php file, your anycontent.php file and your "albums" directory as a safety precaution if anything should go wrong".
"Except for the "albums" directory, upload all of the new files and directories, making sure not to overwrite your anycontent.php file or the albums directory".

Now fair enough, I missed the part about not overwriting the anycontent.php so I'm not sure what effect that will have. But after having to update the gallery about 2 or 3 times in the space of maybe a month or so for security-related errors I wasn't really planning on reading chaper-and-verse how to expend my day-off updating this program. Especially given the fact that 1.4.x wasn't really doing the job I wanted it to without needing add-ons.
Surely to goodness, the files that mustn't be overwritten and contain user-data should be stored in "albums" or the database anyway.

You're saying don't just blindly update files but the manual says to do just that with two exceptions.

In any case I will give this a shot and see what happens. Thanks for the help.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 01:40:39 pm »

What I was trying to say is that the docs don't just say to upload the files: you have to perform a load of other steps (like taking care of a custom theme, turning off plugins, running the updater etc.). The docs say as well you need to make sure to actually overwrite the files on your server, as many FTP apps by default do not overwrite existing files. You have failed to refer all those other things that you need to do during the update process: instead you post a rant about coppermine not doing what you want it to do. You're not even capable to say what version you upgrade from although that should be quite easy to look up. Your remark
Surely to goodness, the files that mustn't be overwritten and contain user-data should be stored in "albums" or the database anyway.
is uncalled for unless and shows that you don't really know your way around. It's not bad to be no expert, but then I would suggest not to start an argument with the developers of an app over the design of the app.

Crash86

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 02:02:07 pm »

I don't see a rant anywhere.
I think that having read these forums for quite sometime it's you who is sometimes harsh and aggressive and I believe that you have stated that yourself elsewhere. I also believe you resolved to change your habits and it appears that that isn't the case.

I'm not trying to have a rant. I'm sorry you've taken it that way. I'm simply trying to explain the situation from an end-user perspective. I think given my brusque treatment here, I've been given even more reason to investigate Menalto in future. I'm sorry to say that but it's the truth. People don't really expect to be treated so abruptly when coming here to ask for help with software that they have chosen to use above other competing products.

I came here, politely asked for help and this is where it's led to as it has in many other threads I've read.

I'm just saying that I think it's odd that it's taken until midway through 2010 to see spam prevention built-into Coppermine itself. I think many people would agree with me.

Also the manual fails to describe the update sequence properly. It says not to overwrite any files in the albums directory and yet the install wizard complains about having 3 files missing in albums (that I have never removed / renamed).
Also it states that "update.php" has 3 functions and then lists four. A minor point but still...

I appreciate that config etc. doesn't belong in albums. What I'm really getting at is that it would be preferable to have a folder along the lines of "userdata" and another along the lines of "application". Imagevue x2 has a similar system that makes updating much simpler. I wonder if you are willfully misunderstanding this in order to accuse me of not knowing anything.

The above is a suggestion, not an argument. I'm sorry you've failed to take it as such.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 06:56:20 pm »

I'm just saying that I think it's odd that it's taken until midway through 2010 to see spam prevention built-into Coppermine itself. I think many people would agree with me.
Well, if the release cycle is too slow for you then you're welcome to start contributing to the project to speed it up. Spam protection was available as mod and plugin in many different flavors for cpg1.4.x already. Finally, this discussion is useless and inappropriate within this thread. Imo this is just another attempt to start an argument.

Also the manual fails to describe the update sequence properly.
Again: you're welcome not to just nag, but to improve the documentation.

It says not to overwrite any files in the albums directory and yet the install wizard complains about having 3 files missing in albums (that I have never removed / renamed).
You're not supposed to run the install wizard when upgrading. If you do, you clearly didn't follow upgrade instructions.

I appreciate that config etc. doesn't belong in albums. What I'm really getting at is that it would be preferable to have a folder along the lines of "userdata" and another along the lines of "application". Imagevue x2 has a similar system that makes updating much simpler. I wonder if you are willfully misunderstanding this in order to accuse me of not knowing anything.
I indeed accuse you not to know anything. Config data is not stored in a file or a folder, but within the database. Therefore, your "rant" (or whatever you prefer to call this) about the superiority of Imagevue is invalid, but after all: if you don't like Coppermine, then improve it or go away and use another app - I couldn't care less.

I'm not sure if you're a troll or not. Anyway, your "remarks" don't help at all: they don't help you, and they don't help anybody else. If you're getting the error message you initially reported, then you haven't followed the upgrade instructions to a T, that's why I suggested you re-read them. If they are not clearly enough written, then you're welcome to re-phrase them and let us know.

Crash86

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 12:11:19 am »

Sorry, you're right - I mistook config.php for the configuration data rather than the config script itself. Even so, the point does stand that  there are clear benefits to separating user data from program. No-one who knows program development will justifiably disagree. You have  no counter argument except "you're an idiot, you suck". I paraphrase but my point about separation stands as does my comment about your intractible attitude.

I fixed the problem by dumping my album folder into a new 1.4.7 installation and pointing that at the database (using the install sequence) then updating to 1.5.6 again. It's worked well but I think some attention needs to be paid to the language system. It seems to have an ineplicable leaning to norwegian and mexican.

I used the install system as a measure of desperation as update refused to execute and there seemed to be no import or recovery script that I found.

I ascribe the initial failure errors in the original FTP upload. I'm spending every moment of my free time studying, seeking employment and working on my own project and many others who actually value my insight. I'm sorry.

Joe Carver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka 'i-imagine'
    • Home Page
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 02:58:26 am »

Glad to see that you are up and running.
....but I think some attention needs to be paid to the language system.....
Indeed if that is the case then why not take a minute to read what attention you need to pay? 

http://documentation.coppermine-gallery.net/en/configuration.htm#admin_language

http://documentation.coppermine-gallery.net/en/languages.htm#language_manager

Read the manual. Please stop complaining.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 07:36:37 am »

Even so, the point does stand that  there are clear benefits to separating user data from program. No-one who knows program development will justifiably disagree.
Nobody disagrees. Nobody said that program data and user data should be mixed, and it's not the case with Coppermine as neither. Now I'm finally convinced that's you're just here to argue - you're a troll. Go away. Locking.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 19 queries.