Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Thumbnails not showing on first page.  (Read 14251 times)

mrpepsi

• Coppermine regular visitor
Thumbnails not showing on first page.
« on: June 12, 2010, 11:09:30 pm »

Hi,

My 1.4x gallery always had thumbnails on first page but since upgrading to 1.5.6 it does not show the thumbnails. I have attached pic of the check box in admin/album view as being checked.

http://www.eastgermanshepherdpups.com/gallery

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Thumbnails not showing on first page.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 08:44:06 am »

Might be related to the fact that you have modified the overall output: no matter what theme I choose, I always get loads of extra content on your page. Please disable the plugin api temporarily to see if this is plugin related.
If you want my recommendation as far as design is concerned: less is more. You have way too many alements on each page, and too much sparkles, animation, zooming, fading going on. The visitor loses focus from what your site is about: displaying your dogs (and finally selling them as well I guess). The site is overkill.

mrpepsi

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 10:05:08 am »

Disabled plugin API and still no thumbnails.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 10:41:58 am »

I don't think so. The output of the "who is online" plugin is still there.

mrpepsi

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 05:23:11 pm »

I turned the plugin API back on, it did not make a difference when off.

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 01:22:45 am »

Actually leaving it off would have helped us to track down the problem. You have to be patient as we all have lives to lead so are not always around. I'm currently posting this parked outside a hotel nicking their internet while awaiting a ferry to Ireland. All of us are in the same boat (metaphorically speaking, we are not all on this ferry) so please do as suggested and wait.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

mrpepsi

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 03:40:51 am »

I have disabled the plugin API. I am waiting and I appreciate the help. I know you guys are busy and do this on your own time. Sorry that I turned it back on but like I said it is off until I am told to turn it back on.

onthepike

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 04:06:34 am »

Anytime I come across issues involving a theme, the first thing I like to do is head over to the W3C Markup Validation Service and enter the URL in question and review the output results. At this moment in time, the Validation Service reports 215 Errors and 36 Warnings in http://www.eastgermanshepherdpups.com/gallery/.

Afterward, I prefer to recheck the output using CPG's default theme. In this case, being 1.5.x, the Curve theme. However, it appears that the Curve theme itself has been heavily modified, and I question, perhaps (my skill level isn't up to snuff enough to know from this perspective), the core include/themes.inc.php.

So while your issue may be beyond my skill level, certain things you could do until Phil (or another coder) returns is review the validated output and included screenshots and make necessary changes. The first change might be to rename your current Curve theme to something else and reinstall the default CPG Curve theme. Then I would suggest reading up on custom themes in the docs.

You also might want to consider reducing the amount of data transferred on the main page. Your page loads extremely slowly. Perhaps break it into cohesive sections for faster loading and easier navigation. CPG includes a custom header option that would suit those needs well. As does the anycontent function.

Lastly, please don't take my observations as criticism. I'm merely posting my observations and trying to assist where I am able.

mrpepsi

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 04:26:50 am »

I do not consider it criticism. I am just not that good at all this but am trying to learn on the fly. At least enough to get me by. Maybe I will just scrap this theme. And look at reducing the errors.

onthepike

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 04:34:50 am »

I wouldn't scrap the theme! You're in a perfect position to learn custom themeing. Instead, I'd rename the current Curve theme to whatever you wish, then re-install the default CPG Curve theme (as well as any other files you may have modified) and then try to fix the custom theme based first on the W3C output.

One thing I do suggest is to validate every time you make a change. This way, you know exactly what you did, when you did it, and can easily restore or repair.

Lastly, having a "vanilla" gallery that works perfectly is much better than one that's filled with fluff, errors and warnings! Take your time with your custom theme, but know you have a working gallery to fall back upon should something go wrong. The way it stands right now, you have no fallback fail-safe.

mrpepsi

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 05:05:16 am »

I have not touched the curve theme. The only theme I have touched is the classic theme. All other files as far as I can think are from the newest download 1.5.6. I will try to start working on it little by little. Thanks for your help and suggestions. This might be a stupid question but how would I break it into smaller pages?

onthepike

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 05:59:42 am »

The classic theme? There is no classic theme that comes with CGP 1.5.x.

Do you realize that themes designed for CPG 1.4.x are not compatible with the 1.5.x series? If you are using the "classic" theme from 1.4.x with 1.5.x, this is your problem. Are you positive that you updated properly? Your FTP app may not have overwritten existing folders. Because you do indeed have the required Curve theme, but also have the "Classic" theme (from 1.4.x ?):

http://www.eastgermanshepherdpups.com/gallery/?theme=classic
http://www.eastgermanshepherdpups.com/gallery/?theme=curve

Yet both display the same extra output. And shouldn't.

The Curve theme has replaced the Classic theme in 1.5.x (if referencing as a default theme, in other words). To actually obtain the ported Classic theme, you must download it separately from http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?board=95.0 I believe Gene-2008 has upgraded the Classic theme and added a few different variations of it to boot.

But even using your Curve theme lights up W3C like a Christmas tree. So it appears your problem lies deeper into CPG than just theme error(s).

You say you are trying to learn this on the fly, but your theme (and perhaps other core files) have been modified. Did you create your (1.4) theme? Or did someone help you? And for the record, have you edited any files other than anycontent.php? Have you made any changes to the core code?

Lastly, regarding breaking up the main page, you can use anycontent.php as a navigation menu to other pages that you wish to display. Move some of the flashing fluff to the main index page or elsewhere. But this is just personal preference... my observation and opinion. And is beyond the scope of this particular discussion and best suited for it's own topic.

mrpepsi

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 06:34:28 am »

Some mods were made in 1.4.x core files but I downloaded 1.5.6 and uploaded all the files except the albums folder with filezilla.

The classic theme is 1.5.1 I believe as I had already made changes to it on a test site. I can not think of any changes to files and I know the 1.5.6 files I did not change. The classic theme is the only thing I changed and index.php for the anycontent2 but I took that out and no change.

Yes I did do all the changes but it does mean I understand it all and am still learning. I do not know why the curve theme is doing that as I have not touched it.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 07:56:20 am »

If you have turned of plugins, have vanilla themes and haven't modified core files I wonder how all the customization can possibly shine through: using the eyeball theme that should be "out of the box", as it came with cpg1.5.6 there still is a lot of extra output, with an animated slider constantly looping through some pics, bold text at the top, a custom search form and a load of buttons. The only source it could actually come from is an overweight anycontent.php file. Please disable that temporarily as well to enable us to track down your issue.

onthepike

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 08:50:18 am »

If I understand him correctly, and judging from the initial screen shot, he's using two (2) individual anycontent.php files in addition to whatever modifications were made to the index.php file.

The classic theme is the only thing I changed and index.php for the anycontent2 [...]

mrpepsi

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 09:10:09 am »

Disabled. I did have 2 anycontents and I only added the extra in index.php but have taken that out as well. I will leave it like this until instructed otherwise.

onthepike

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 06:53:05 pm »

Those who could probably solve this issue in an instant are probably busy with other projects. So meanwhile, maybe I could add a few more suggestions:

• Rename your current Curve theme to Curve2.
  • Backup your database, your /albums directory and both anycontent files as well as /include/config.inc.php.
  • Download the latest SVN revision (or current release, whichever you prefer, but SVN will give you 1.5.7 and a couple of fixes).
  • Disable any plugins you may have installed.
  • Unbridge any forums you may have bridged.
  • Set theme to default Curve and reset thumbnail views to default settings.
  • FTP the new package over-writing all core files.
  • Run update.php

If this doesn't result in thumbnails showing on your main page, with the setting of thumbnails ticked, verify via phpMyAdmin (or equivalent). If phpMyAdmin reflects that thumbnails should be shown, and they still do not, I highly doubt I will be able to help any further.

onthepike

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010, 06:57:16 pm »

You also might want to turn on debug output for all, but please do not post the results here. Simply activate it via Config.

[Off-Topic note to Admins: I used to be able to edit my posts, but apparently I have been denied that ability, hence all the "extra" tagged messages]

mrpepsi

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2010, 07:23:39 pm »

Thanks and I will try to get to it later tonight. If I remember how to do the checkout.

If phpMyAdmin reflects that thumbnails should be shown, and they still do not,

I am not sure how to do this above. I have phpmyadmin but know nothing about working in the database the rest like I said I will accomplish later tonight.

Again thanks for all your help.

onthepike

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2010, 07:54:51 pm »

Open phpMyAdmin. Navigate to your cpg1.5.x database -> cpg_config and scroll down to ('first_level', '1') which might be on another page for you (use the navigation buttons to change pages or use the page pull-down menu). To show thumbnails, the value must be set to "1". If your value is set to anything other than "1", change it by clicking the little pen icon and entering 1 (without quotes) then click Go.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.