Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrading problem from 1.4x  (Read 9366 times)

sarahanastazja

• Coppermine newbie
Upgrading problem from 1.4x
« on: June 09, 2010, 06:35:21 pm »

Hello,
so my friend tried to upgrade gallery from 1.4x to the newest version. She did all the points from instruction and here are the results -> http://scforever.cwahi.net/index.php
Big nothing. We don't know what went wrong. I hope that the gallery can be regained.

Joe Carver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka 'i-imagine'
    • Home Page
Re: Upgrading problem from 1.4x
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 06:49:44 pm »

Most likely case is that all of the cpg 1.5.6 files were not uploaded. I got a 404 error when looking for a few....

Use a good FTP application (I recommend Filezilla, set it to transfer in binary mode) - make certain that a clean copy has been unzipped locally, etc.

sarahanastazja

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 06:55:29 pm »

That's weird. Could you tell me which files you couldn't find?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 07:02:16 pm »

Your free webhoster appears to be injecting adverts into each page. While that is OK for plain HTML files (see http://scforever.cwahi.net/docs/en/index.htm for an example - the grey bar at the top is injected), it will definitely break Coppermine.
If you want my advice, get decent webspace first.

sarahanastazja

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 07:18:01 pm »

I really cannot change webhoster now,I wouldn't be able to upload again so many pictures. When I had 1.4x version everything worked fine so I think that adverts are not the reason why the gallery doesn't work now. I just don't know what to do to bring it to life again.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 07:25:55 pm »

I really cannot change webhoster now,I wouldn't be able to upload again so many pictures
You would be able to just transfer your backup to the new server, so no need to be concerned. That simply doesn't count.

When I had 1.4x version everything worked fine so I think that adverts are not the reason why the gallery doesn't work now.
Well, you appear to be the expert then...

I just don't know what to do to bring it to life again.
Do as Joe suggested then and re-upload a clean, known good package using a known-good FTP application. You failed to say what FTP app you're using, you failed to say what FTP mode you used. You're refering to "the newest version" although that term is just plain silly.
If you can't wait, restore your backup and thus roll back to cpg1.4.x

sarahanastazja

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 07:56:16 pm »

You would be able to just transfer your backup to the new server, so no need to be concerned. That simply doesn't count.
It's easy for you, but I don't know how to do this and even if i learned it I'm sure we would mess it up like it was with the upgrading thing ;)

Well, you appear to be the expert then...
I didn't mean to be rude. The gallery worked fine with the advertisement but maybe it can't work in 1.5.6 version. I don't know.

You failed to say what FTP app you're using, you failed to say what FTP mode you used.
I'm not really sure what does it means.. We're using Total Commander for FTP connection.

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 08:14:15 pm »

I wouldn't normally teach someone the basics but I'm feeling generous.

An FTP app it used to copy files from one location to another using one or more file transfer protocols. We don't need to go into how they work but just that they do. We recommend the free and superb Filezilla for the task. It is IMHO the best app of its type. It rarely fails unlike many other apps we have tried. Please try it.

Once you have this installed you can copy your website to your desktop from your hosting space or vice versa. If you have a load of images it may take a while so you have plenty of time to read up on these things.

The second app you will need is phpmyadmin (or similar provided by your hosting package). Coppermine not only stores stuff in files but also in a database. This database is not accessable on a normal setup via ftp so via phpmyadmin you can take a copy of your database into a file on your desktop. This file can then be restored to a new database. If your host doesn't provide phpmyadmin or similar tool then you will either have to ask them for a backup or once again the coppermine team come to your rescue with a copy that can be installed as a plugin to coppermine - http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/topic,60908.0.html . There is also a version for 1.4.x if you look.

Once you have both those things it is simple to move to a new host. It is also important for you to use those tools regularly and take backups regularly. Things can go wrong with hosting. They get hacked, files get corrupt and we've even seen some go bust. Especially with free hosts your support is limited so if the worst happened with your data where would you be without that backup? So it is important for you to learn these tools.

One other benefit of taking a backup in such a way is that using another free tool such as Wamp you can run a copy of your website on your desktop. That way you can try upgrading or modifications first and get it clear in your mind before doing it on your live site.

The above is just for reference. If you have any questions on those tools use Google as I do not have the time to teach those basics. I really cannot stress how important it is to take backups so please follow my advice.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

sarahanastazja

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 09:17:54 pm »

I know that backups are important but I talked to my friend and she said that she upgraded the gallery without making backup at the beginning (coz she didn't know how to do this) and the gallery doesn't work now so even if she copied it and upload on a new server it still wouldn't be working, am I thinking right? We'd like to bring it to life first, is it possible to go back to 1.4x version?

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 09:29:44 pm »

You could restore from your backup ;)

If you have got as far as running update.php then unles you have abackup you cannot go back. If you didn't run that then remove the 1.5.6 files and re-upload the old version. Be careful not to delete your albums folder or your include/config.inc.pnp file.

Make a backup before you do any of that even on a non working gallery.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

sarahanastazja

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 09:43:48 pm »

If you have got as far as running update.php then unles you have abackup you cannot go back. If you didn't run that then remove the 1.5.6 files and re-upload the old version. Be careful not to delete your albums folder or your include/config.inc.pnp file.
I ran it but it didn't work. A white page showed up like the one you can see now at http://scforever.cwahi.net/index.php
So can i try to go back?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 09:56:55 pm »

so my friend tried to upgrade gallery from 1.4x to the newest version. She did all the points from instruction
To me it rather looks as if you have followed none of them. Let me remind you about the basic upgrade steps:
Steps needed to perform when upgrading Coppermine (from any version)
The instructions here apply for all Coppermine udpates/upgrades, so please read them carefully.
  • Make a backup (dump) of your database
  • Backup your include/config.inc.php file, your anycontent.php file and your "albums" directoy as a safety precaution if anything should go wrong.
  • Download the most recent stable version existing in the download section of the official Coppermine homepage
  • Unpack the coppermine package you downloaded
  • Except for the "albums" directory, upload all of the new files and directories, making sure not to overwrite your anycontent.php file or the albums directory.
  • Run the update script
So, as you say you have no idea how to perform a backup, how could you claim to have followed instructions?

We don't know what went wrong.
Now you know: you should have read the instructions first
I hope that the gallery can be regained.
If you don't have a backup, then probably not.

sarahanastazja

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 10:07:29 pm »

To me it rather looks as if you have followed none of them.
Now I know that she didn't do the first step (I didn't know that ealier)  but (as far as I know) this step doesn't have influence on process of installation. So something went wrong with the installation and I wanted to ask do you know maybe how to fix it.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 10:16:12 pm »

Yes, I know a way, and you know it as well; at least you have been told about it already. I'll tell you one more time (the last time): get a fresh copy of the package. Unzip it locally. Get a decent FTP app. Upload the files from the package, overwriting the ones on the server. Then run the upgrade script. In fact, do exactly as suggested in http://documentation.coppermine-gallery.net/en/upgrading.htm
Stop dragging your feet and posting lame excuses for not doing as suggested. If you can't, hire someone to accomplish the upgrade and move for you.

digof

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 12:15:51 am »

I got the same blanc screen when updating from 1.4.25 to 1.5.6. I found out that it's because the default theme I was using, was  a modified powerbookg4 from 1.4.25. My site came up after I forced the program to go back to classic theme, by deleting cookies from the browser, delete powerbookg4 theme and reloading my site by adding ?theme=classic after index.php in address bar. Now I.m using Curve
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 20 queries.