Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Image - Limits  (Read 4567 times)

ddoc9942

• Coppermine newbie
Image - Limits
« on: May 29, 2010, 05:54:20 pm »

Which the limit of images supported by coppermine? I have 480,000 images to upload. This is why we place a particular server. And These pictures are changed once a week. Each week 3.000 images are changed. Will I be able to upload a batch of this size?

papukaija

• Contributor
  • Coppermine frequent poster
Re: Image - Limits
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 01:43:12 pm »

Please post a link to your gallery as requested in board rules. Also, the documentation might be useful.

ddoc9942

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 02:25:30 pm »

papukaija

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 05:25:40 pm »

Sorry.

http://1rilondrina.no-ip.org
That site doesn't have a gallery, it just shows "It works!". There might be limitations from the image libraries.

papukaija

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 05:32:44 pm »

Reading this might also help (even if it's written to cpg 1.4. board).

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 07:50:05 am »

You're not the first person to ask about a limitation built into Coppermine. The answer remains the same, no matter how often someone asks it:
I'm not aware of such a huge install where Coppermine runs out of the box. I'm pretty sure that you will have to optimize Coppermine's queries and remove some resource eaters like random meta albums and constant stats totals. You will definitely need a powerfull dedicated server.
I have no idea how many pics reside on huge installs like gelipo.com, but they are far from out of the box anyway. The correct answer is: there is no limitation built into coppermine itself in the aspect how many images it can handle. But there certainly are several limiting factors in resources consumption as far as web server resources are concerned.
There is no limitation built into coppermine how many categories there can be, no how many sub-categories or albums can reside within a category - the number is theoretically unlimited (of course there are limitations depending on your webserver's resources)
As suggested, there is no limitation in coppermine's code
There's no limitation built-into coppermine, but your webserver probably has it's limitations.
So, to answer the question imposed by this thread's subject: no.
Also read up our suggestions on self-hosting: http://documentation.coppermine-gallery.net/en/requirements.htm#what_minimum_self-hosting
Future requests of yours that don't respect board rules will get ignored.

There might be limitations from the image libraries.
That's not correct: limitations from image libraries will not have an impact on the number of images you can host. The limiting factors or others. There are quite a few of them:
  • webspace
  • file system on operating system level
  • database size

You probably won't be able to host such a huge amount of images using self-hosting unless you have the hardware and know how clustering works, as one machine probably will not have the power to host 480 k images.

onthepike

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 06:11:56 pm »

That site doesn't have a gallery, it just shows "It works!". There might be limitations from the image libraries.

It's here: http://1rilondrina.no-ip.org/dms/cpg15/

ddoc9942

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 06:23:44 pm »

I really think that the question has been answered. I appreciated the contribution of Mr. Joachim Müller, research and contribution to this response. Timely put in my portal. Thank you very much for your contribution. In the specific case, I'm using a Dell PowerEdge server with Xeon processor, 2 hd 250 GB, 2 GB memory with the operating system Opensuse 11.2. Technically I will not have problems with space, because I can grow when needed.

Thanks to all who contributed.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 07:36:22 pm »

You'll run into issues with the database - a mysql database with so many records causes issues. Read up the other thread I refered to (click on the "Quote from..." links). 2 GB RAM is not much. A single Xeon probably isn't enough neither. Anyway: self-hosting sucks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 20 queries.