Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Database Error After Migration  (Read 6727 times)

annekmadison

• Coppermine newbie
Database Error After Migration
« on: May 20, 2010, 06:54:20 pm »

Gallery URL: http://www.zippersportfishing.com/photographs

Background: Migrating this site today from a cPanel server to Rackspace cloud. I performed the following steps-
1. Dumped the database via myAdmin and verified (via a text editor) that it seems to be intact. I have a second backup also.
2. Created a new database, user, and password on Rackspace Cloud. Verified that I was able to connect to and manipulate the new database with my new username and password.
3. Added the existing data to my new database by executing an SQL query and had a successful update.
4. Edited the config.inc.php file to reflect the new dbserver, dbuser, dbpass, and dbname.
5. Uploaded the gallery files to the new website using fireFTP.
6. Set the permissions on the "Albums" folder to 755, via fireFTP.
7. I am unable to load the software. The error is: Coppermine critical error: Unable to connect to database ! MySQL said: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

I RETURNED HERE AND RAN A SEARCH ON THAT ERROR, YES I DID. It returned a page of results, and I read all of them, even the one in Italian. That one seemed to be fairly comprehensive, but I can't understand enough of it to benefit from it.

The gist of the search results for that problem seem to be "ask tech support at your service." I did request tech support, and while Rackspace has always come through for me in the past, their response is basically "We can connect to the database and use it, so the problem must lie with the software."

If someone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it sincerely, as now I am sort of crucified between tech support at my service and the forums here. I have migrated and upgraded a number of websites using Wordpress, osCommerce, etc., and haven't run into any substantive database problems.

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide me.

onthepike

Re: Database Error After Migration
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 07:12:22 pm »

This doesn't appear to be a Coppermine-specific issue. Running a search on Google returned these very helpful results.

Try a few of the many suggestions from those websites and/or ask your web host for additional support. This issue has been resolved for others with the problem based on the results indicated in the above link.

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 07:47:52 pm »

It is almost certainly a hosting problem. Running update.php, a very simple script at the start also gives the error.

Check and re-check your config.inc.php to make sure everything is correct.

Please don't mark your question as solved until it is otherwise your question might be missed.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

annekmadison

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 09:01:14 pm »

Thank you. I have resolved the issue myself and had done so when I marked the question "closed." I don't believe any further communication will be necessary.

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 09:06:03 pm »

It would be great if you could assist other users by telling them how you resolved your issues.

annekmadison

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 10:21:38 pm »

The client who owns this album has been with me since 2003. He operates a sport-fishing charter vessel out of a nearby resort city. It is now late May, and he needs to be able to show his website to prospective clients for this season. In short, he is depending on me, and I needed answers. Clearly this problem has occurred before, whether developers and administrators wish to acknowledge it or not. 

The issue was resolved by selecting and installing software that is more compatible with the current server environment. I have completed the installation on the site in question and am proceeding with installations of the new imaging software for my other clients. I'm sorry, I don't have any substantive advice for other users.

Thank you.

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 10:27:13 pm »

Good luck.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 07:43:11 am »

The issue was resolved by selecting and installing software that is more compatible with the current server environment. I have completed the installation on the site in question and am proceeding with installations of the new imaging software for my other clients.
Don't be shy: annekmadison has installed Menalto Gallery 2 at http://zippersportfishing.com/zipperpix/
That piece of information might help others more than trying to be tactfull and avoiding the name of a "competing" gallery application.
However: the error message
Coppermine critical error: Unable to connect to database ! MySQL said: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
just means that you have specified the wrong credentials for the mySQL database. The very same thing will happen with Menalto Gallery if you specify the wrong credentials there. I'm not trying to bash Menalto, but just trying to state the obvious: if you break an app by specifying wrong data, it will not work as expected.

Clearly this problem has occurred before, whether developers and administrators wish to acknowledge it or not.
Sure, others have made the same mistake that you have made. People make mistakes, as we're all human. But this particular problem lies on your end, not on ours. We acknowledge our mistakes, that's why the board that contains bug reports stays visible even after the issues have been resolved. But again: the issue you report is not a bug, but rather a pebkac problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 20 queries.