Support > cpg1.5 plugin contributions

Add Description Meta to Gallery <HEAD> and rel=canonical to META pages

(1/14) > >>

Joe Carver:
This plugin will add the field <meta name="Description" content="xxx" /> to the <head> of your Image, Category and Album  pages where "xxx" will be the information in the description (caption) that you have entered. Search engines will then have more text to read from some of your pages.

Configuration page allows setting your custom text for Home, main Album List, Contact and Search page. Config. also allows option to add pic. owner's name to description for displayimage.php pages.

Note: Meta albums (top rated, last up, search, etc.) are not included - Coppermine 1.5.x discourages search engines from listing those pages.

link rel="canonical"
Meta type picture pages (lastup, most viewed, search, last comment, top rated) now will get:
<link rel="canonical" href="h t t p://your_gallery.url/displayimage.php?album=xxx&pid=yyy " />
in the page <head>. This will help search engines to see which is the important page to list when Coppermine can generate the same image page based on top rated, most viewed, last comments, etc. The "base" image page is then seen as being the most important to list.

See Google Webmaster Help for more information.

Demonstration - Example

Enjoy

Joachim Müller:

--- Quote from: Joe Carver on April 19, 2010, 07:16:45 pm ---Coppermine 1.5.x discourages search engines from listing those pages.

--- End quote ---
Because of the abuse that the meta tags have suffered from in the past most search engines don't take them into account any longer. They are quite irrelevant imo, that's why they don't get populated. I suggest not to over-estimate the impact on search engine ranking that this little plugin will have. In my experience the impact is nearly void.
Content counts instead - real, visible, textual content; not some meta information.

Joe Carver:
Perhaps I could been a little more verbose here...

--- Quote from: Joe Carver on April 19, 2010, 07:16:45 pm ---Meta albums are not included - Coppermine 1.5.x discourages search engines from listing those pages.

--- End quote ---
I meant: Meta albums such as Lastup, Most viewed, etc are tagged with this in the <head>.

--- Quote ---<meta name="robots" content="noindex, nofollow" />
--- End quote ---
(However, I have now just found and fixed a bug in the plugin that would have defeated that meta.)

--- Quote from: Joachim Müller on April 20, 2010, 06:54:11 pm ---Because of the abuse that the meta tags have suffered from in the past most search engines don't take them into account any longer. ....... I suggest not to over-estimate the impact on search engine ranking that this little plugin will have.

--- End quote ---
I agree - the plugin will not significantly increase search engine rankings.

--- Quote from: Joachim Müller on April 20, 2010, 06:54:11 pm --- They are quite irrelevant imo, that's why they don't get populated.

--- End quote ---
I kindly disagree given the condition that Google will use the meta description text as the page's/site's description when returning search results. It is what people will see along with the site's link.

--- Quote from: Joachim Müller on April 20, 2010, 06:54:11 pm ---Content counts instead - real, visible, textual content; not some meta information.

--- End quote ---
I agree 100%!

Before deciding to create (and share) this plugin I used this article as reference.
Changing your site's title and description in search results

--- Quote ---While accurate meta descriptions can improve clickthrough, they won't impact your ranking within search results. We frequently prefer to display meta descriptions of pages (when available) because it gives users a clear idea of the URL's content......high-quality descriptions can be displayed in Google's search results, and can go a long way to improving the quality and quantity of your search traffic.
--- End quote ---

(Intent is to clarify - not argue. Creating and deugging these is enough of a headache!)

Joe Carver:
Release of Version 1.1

Changelog

* Bugfix - would overwrite some CPG meta fields
* Add function to image pages
* Add text area for editing in admin.php
New version is attached to first post in thread.

Joe Carver:
Release of Version 1.2

Changelog

* Add field for meta description info. for all image pages
* Changes to avoid showing duplicate content in meta descriptions
* Show no meta description when in meta album (robots = nofollow)
Details in changelog.txt. New version attached to first post in topic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version