Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Closed]: Uploading from URL: Speed Issues  (Read 8923 times)

Prisoner_24601

• Contributor
  • Coppermine novice
[Closed]: Uploading from URL: Speed Issues
« on: April 13, 2010, 05:49:21 am »

I do a lot of uploading from other websites.  That means I upload from URLs.  However, there are significant speed issues when I do so.  As a for instance,

I upload the CPG logo from http://coppermine-gallery.net/images/coppermine-logo.png using the "simple - one file at a time" interface and it takes about 5 seconds to upload.
I upload the CPG logo from http://coppermine-gallery.net/images/coppermine-logo.png using "Multiple files - Flash-driven (recommended)" and it takes 30 seconds to upload.
I upload the same file directly from my computer, using either method, and it's immediately uploaded.  Blammo.

I then repeated the above with a normal-sized JPG (256K file) and ... I got the exact same times for both Flash and Simple.  Uploading the file from my computer took 5 seconds.

Is there some setting in CPG that makes uploading via Flash/Simple take a minimum amount of time?  Any way to speed things up a tad?

(I do notice "•Warning line 6192: exec() [function.exec]: Unable to fork [tasklist /FI "PID eq 3768" /FO LIST]" for \include\functions.inc.php when Debug is on, right after uploading any file.)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 08:54:36 pm by Phill Luckhurst »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

Prisoner_24601

• Contributor
  • Coppermine novice
Re: Uploading from URL: Speed Issues
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 10:09:17 am »

I'm sorry.  I wasn't aware that there was a form I had to fill out.  I will try to do that for you when I get the chance.

In any event, could you please tell me if the behavior I'm seeing with the uploader(s) is normal?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 01:06:11 pm »

I have no idea what you're trying to do when you're saying
That means I upload from URLs
In cpg1.5.x the silly feature URI upload from cpg1.4.x was dropped. This means: you never upload by URL in cpg1.5.x. You always upload by file, i.e. from your client's drives to the webserver.

I wasn't aware that there was a form I had to fill out.
What form? You can provide the needed information in any way you like. There's no form - you just tell us the details in plain text.

In any event, could you please tell me if the behavior I'm seeing with the uploader(s) is normal?
As I have no idea what you're trying to do I need you to do as suggested per docs - there's a reason why that chapter in the docs exists, and there is a reason why board rules say that you're only allowed to post after having read the corresponding section of the docs. It doesn't matter wether you're a contributor or not: you need to respect board rules no matter what. You haven't, that's why I can't tell you more.

Prisoner_24601

• Contributor
  • Coppermine novice
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 06:47:02 pm »

> In cpg1.5.x the silly feature URI upload from cpg1.4.x was dropped. This means: you never upload by URL in cpg1.5.x. You always upload by file, i.e. from your client's drives to the webserver.
Do you need step-by-step?  Are we referring to different things?

Here the step-by-step process for Win 7 64-bit.  My CPG host is a Win2003 machine, so it's IIS:

1.  Click "Upload file".
2.  Under the "Album" drop-down that says "Select Album", select an album.
3.  Click the "Browse" button.
4.  You get a standard "Select file(s) to upload" dialog.  Under "File name", type in a URL (say, http://coppermine-gallery.net/images/coppermine-logo.png). 
5.  Click the "Open" button.
6.  Wait 30 seconds.  The file will load and be shown under "1 files uploaded:"
Viola.  File uploaded from URL.

I think that the "http://documentation.coppermine-gallery.net/en/upload_troubleshooting.htm#upload_support" link is great and wonderful, but it asks me to go ahead and use the "simple file upload".  I'm not having any issues with that, so that step is moot.  I also don't particularly care if user accounts do have access to do anything: my CPG was never really much more than a browseable gallery that people can add comments to, so those steps are moot.  And I had read that section when I installed 1.5.3, thus my post.

Finally, I asked a yes/no question: "Is it normal for the Flash uploader to take that long?"  If yes, then I don't have an issue.  If no, I'd be more than willing to provide more details for you to improve your product.

Joe Carver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka 'i-imagine'
    • Home Page
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 07:10:54 pm »

Do you need step-by-step?  Are we referring to different things?
Sarcarasm is another way of expressing "don't provide free support to me"

....... but it asks me to go ahead and use the "simple file upload".  I'm not having any issues with that, so that step is moot.  I also don't particularly care ........ so those steps are moot.  And I had read that section when I installed 1.5.3, thus my post....................................
For you and other who might read this thread:
Following the steps in Upload Troubleshooting and Asking for Support on Upload Issues is required because simply put it is a known and proven method of testing servers, installations and generating error messages. Would you ask an auto mechanic to repair your car without giving him the keys?

Finally, I asked a yes/no question: "Is it normal for the Flash uploader to take that long?" 
Not on my server's setup. Are you self hosted?
 Did you read the docs?
New batch-add interface doesn't work on all server setups. Users who have issues with it should use the classic interface instead.

Prisoner_24601

• Contributor
  • Coppermine novice
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 07:26:42 pm »

> Sarcarasm is another way of expressing "don't provide free support to me"
Sarcasm is not intended.  You have to remember that a) I'm not sure WHAT JM wants, b) I really do want to know if we are referring to different things using the same words and c) he's in Germany and I find that sarcasm based on English doesn't work well on people that don't speak that as their native tongue.

Additionally, this is the only place of support.  I understand that JM is a bit ... testy ... and I also know he bans folks after one or two posts, if he feels like it. 

> Would you ask an auto mechanic to repair your car without giving him the keys?
I would ask the auto mechanic if he thinks I need to bring in my car before I do a whole bunch of needless troubleshooting.  And I did.

> Not on my server's setup.
That's all I wanted to hear.  Thank you.

> Are you self hosted? Did you read the docs?
No.  Yes.

I've beta-tested several web-based apps and several Microsoft apps.  I'm also a computer tech.  Yes, I RTFM.  In this thread, however, I didn't see anything that says, "You must post this!" and I don't feel comfortable giving out admin passwords and such over the internet.

I'm rather disappointed in the way this thread has turned.  I was attempting to help JM, et al, improve their product and/or find out if I actually have problems.  I get one thread locked after one post -- after I haven't posted in 4 years -- and I get people posting here that are a tad unpleasant.

Thank you for your time.  I'm no longer interested in pursuing this.

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 07:54:06 pm »

For other users who may experience similar (and something that I may consider adding to the docs), if you experience problems like this where you are not sure if you have a server issue or not then you can save a lot of time by using something like Wamp and doing a local install of coppermine in that. In under 10 minutes and with no waiting for responses on a support forum you can have a setup on your desktop that you can play with to your hearts content for testing purposes.

http://www.wampserver.com/en/

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Nibbler

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 08:02:10 pm »

Can someone verify that URI uploads can be achieved by entering an URI into the file upload box? If so this needs to be prevented. I can't replicate this using Firefox on Linux.

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 08:28:36 pm »

Yes Nibbler, URL uploads do work on the flash interface and on the simple interface.

http://www.windsurf.me.uk/cpg133/displayimage.php?pid=4432

Thanks to Prisoner_24601 for making us aware.

I'll start a bug thread and mark this one as closed.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 08:54:24 pm by Phill Luckhurst »
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 07:14:02 am »

Here the step-by-step process for Win 7 64-bit.  My CPG host is a Win2003 machine, so it's IIS:

1.  Click "Upload file".
2.  Under the "Album" drop-down that says "Select Album", select an album.
3.  Click the "Browse" button.
4.  You get a standard "Select file(s) to upload" dialog.  Under "File name", type in a URL (say, http://coppermine-gallery.net/images/coppermine-logo.png). 
5.  Click the "Open" button.
6.  Wait 30 seconds.  The file will load and be shown under "1 files uploaded:"
Viola.  File uploaded from URL.
As suggested this was never intended. We never thought that it would be used this way. As suggested below, it's not a feature, but a bug. Subsequently, the question "why does it take so long" doesn't apply.

I think that the "http://documentation.coppermine-gallery.net/en/upload_troubleshooting.htm#upload_support" link is great and wonderful, but it asks me to go ahead and use the "simple file upload".  I'm not having any issues with that, so that step is moot. 
From the docs:
When people have issues with uploading and decide to post their question on the Coppermine support board, they usually are told to read this upload troubleshooting section. Many of them fail to do so properly, which results in frustration both for users as well as supporters.
To make this absolutely clear: the above mentioned steps are absolutely mandatory, no matter what skill level you have, no matter what upload method you have troubles with. Failing to do exactly as suggested will result in your request for help being ignored. Yes, this applies to you. We mean it!
Sounds as if this part was written exactly for your case.
Let me quote another thing:
When posting a support request, it's helpfull for supporters in most cases to see what the actual page looks like, that's why it's mandatory that you always post a link to your coppermine gallery page when asking for support. If your site contains adult content, make sure to post a warning together with your link!

Thank you for your time.  I'm no longer interested in pursuing this.
Fine. But there is no reason for rudeness: it's you who broke the rules.
I'm rather disappointed in the way this thread has turned.  I was attempting to help JM, et al, improve their product and/or find out if I actually have problems.  I get one thread locked after one post -- after I haven't posted in 4 years -- and I get people posting here that are a tad unpleasant.
It doesn't matter how often you have posted in the past. And guess what: I think that users who don't play by the rules are a little unpleasant as well.
Locking
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.