Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Closed]: [newbe] Changing the directory where file are stored (home web server)  (Read 3089 times)

dma114

• Coppermine newbie

Hi to everyone, i ve been looking the doc and board all day long before posting, for sure ther is an answer somewhere but I did not managed to find it (or i did not understad what to do) so sorry if it's something that as already been explained.

I am running an Apache and Mysql server at home on an old desktop.
The server install is in c:\server\
The core of cpg is therefore c:\server\htdocs\album hence the albums and picture are under c:\server\htdocs\album\albums

The problem is that c:\ is a really small hard drive (around 40gb) on wich i just want to keep the programs and server file.
I have on the same machine installed a bigger disk let's say D:\
I would like cpg to store the album/picture files in i.e. D:\images

Is it possibile to do that or the albums must be in a subfolder of the install on the server ? I ve just uploaded 2 picture to test if it was woriking properly so I can both delete the picture and re upload later or just reinstall the whole thing.

Please remeber that I am a newbe, I can edit some lines in some conifguration file, but please try to explain which file and where it should be keeping it as simple as you can! :)

Thanks in advance for your help on this.

D.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 11:55:35 am by Joachim Müller »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

We can not support you on how to set up a webserver. All you need to do is configure your webserver accordingly to use the hard disk that has got enough room, at least on your operating system (Windows sucks as an operating system to run a webserver; on a Linux/Unix driven webserver you'd just create a symlink or mount the second hard drive accordingly to accomplish what you're up to). This isn't something that you can set up inside Coppermine anyway, as Coppermine is built with relative paths in mind. You would have to specify an absolute path (something like D:\images), which just isn't possible in Coppermine. It would mean jailbreaking the webserver anyway, which is hardly possible and definitely not recommended. You might experiment a little with junctions, which is roughly the equivalent of symlinks on your OS (given that you're on NTFS on file system level), but I wouldn't do that at all, it doesn't work that well and definitely is beyond the skills of a newbie (which is what you say you are). As I said initially, we can not really help you on webserver setup issues, that's beyond the scope of this board. Additionally, you failed to respect board rules (it's mandatory to post a link to your gallery in each thread), so there's little else I could say. It's hard for me to believe that you claim to have spent an entire day on reading forum threads without coming across postings that point out this part of our board's rules.
If you want my advice: play a bit with your webserver to learn about it and experiment, but don't actually consider self-hosting. As a testbed (without making your webserver available on the internet) I can recommend pre-made packages (like XAMP or server2go) that you can install on the hard drive you want. Those webserver installs are far from production-ready though as far as security is concerned; they serve just one prupose: to help you learn how to set up a webserver. They are great as testbeds, that's all.

dma114

• Coppermine newbie

Hi Joachim,
thanks for the reply, i indeed read the rules and I did not post the address of my gallery simply because neither the gallery is accessible withouth a login/pwd nor i was exeperiencing any specific issue with the install, it was more of a general question.
The server is up an running other scripts (jinzora, wordpress) and i was testing different programs such as i.e. Gallery2 other than CPG
I understand a unix/linux sys would work much better but all of this is just a setup that I will use for myself and a couple of friends and I therefore stick with windows for the time being.
Thanks anyway for your assistance.

Bye

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

I will use for myself and a couple of friends and I therefore stick with windows for the time being.
Make sure you tell the hackers and script kiddies out there that your webserver is only meant for you and your friends. They will certainly respect that and not compromise your webserver if you ask them nicely ::). I already told you that self-hosting is not a bright idea, no matter who the target audience is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 19 queries.