Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Closed]: Deadzone in link  (Read 4424 times)

Vink

• Coppermine newbie
[Closed]: Deadzone in link
« on: March 12, 2010, 11:32:22 am »

Hi,

I notice when you want to click a link in the navigationbar not allways the link is working...
If you move the curser slowly from the right to the left there is a deadzone in it. First I thought
there is something with my program but its happend allso on the demo here on the site.
Is there a way to change this?

« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 10:38:43 pm by Joachim Müller »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Deadzone in link
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 12:57:05 pm »

You already have been told about board rules:
It is mandatory to post a link to your gallery in each thread you post. Do you know the meaning of the word "mandatory"?

Vink

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 03:07:14 pm »

No  ???  but I searched on my translationsite and found it: ;D
compulsory, binding, mandatory, obligatory, required, requisite =
= in Dutch:bindend, dwingend, gedwongen, verbindend, verplicht, verplichtend

it is: http://neddate.nl/coppermine/
I use: Explorer 7
and Windows XP Prof. / sp3

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 03:48:50 pm »

• Can not replicate on Windows XP Prof. DE SP2 nor SP3, using the browsers Firefox3.6, IE8, Chrome 4.0.
  • Can not replicate on Knoppix Linux 6.0.1 EN with LDE as desktop and Iceweasel 3.0.6
  • I can replicate your issue on Windows 2000 Server EN SP4 with IE6, so it seems like this affects old Microsoft browsers only

Looks like a browser bug to me. Use a decent browser and your issues should go away. Tell your users to use a decent browser as well. Under the light of the constant bad news for Microsoft as far as the security of their browsers is concerned, this is more important than ever. Don't know what else to recommend. You might as well look into a nicer theme than classic - the look of the classic theme is a bit dated - try one of the many user-contributed themes instead.

Vink

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 04:08:11 pm »

Thanks Joachim for the quick and extensive reply!  ;D
Indeed IExplorer isn't the best browser and i will move to Firefox..by the way..this is a
great site to see what browsers are popular / how many users
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

http://neddate.nl/coppermine/
I use: Explorer 7

Vink

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 04:10:03 pm »

I have installed Firefox and there is everything fine... ;D

greetings
Vink

http://neddate.nl/coppermine/
I use: Explorer 7 / Firefox 3.6

Joe Carver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka 'i-imagine'
    • Home Page
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 04:34:53 pm »

Please, could you mark your thread as solved? (Forum/Board rule and helps others)

And because you mention
I use: Explorer 7.........

I suggest that you and other users of IE7 read this. It is dated from this week
Microsoft Security Advisory 81374 - Remote Code Execution Vulnerability for IE6 and IE7

Vink

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 05:37:48 pm »

I do not understand what you are saying Joe...the problem is not solved in the code...I am just work around it by installing a new browser.
Joachim writes above:
I can replicate your issue on Windows 2000 Server EN SP4 with IE6, so it seems like this affects old Microsoft browsers only

Joe Carver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka 'i-imagine'
    • Home Page
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 06:33:16 pm »

Well then, I misunderstood your reply.

What you and other will find: There is no infinite backwards compatibility with older browsers. The only way that could be accomplished is by design to older standards - dull .js, no swf, etc. That also includes designing to standards that are not compliant with today's Web standards. To see what I mean take a visit to http://validator.w3.org/ with an IE6/7 compatible page (without the "if IE 6 or if IE 7" embedded).

I can fully understand that some users might need to rely on older IE versions for older custom made apps that might be used in an internal environment - but to use a browser that poses a security risk externally?  In my opinion is that is negligent.

As someone who tries to make my own "custom theme" for CPG and who has tried to make a few plugins I can say that the old IE has wasted hours of my time and that I am just about done with it. What should I do? Also make pages that work with IE5? If my visitors can't upgrade to a free, modern browser then I have to say at some point in time..... "Upgrade or too bad for you".

As web designers if we keep encouraging the use of out-of-date technology then people and MS just won't do what is right and get into the current era.

I hope you have read the warnings in the link I had attached - all you need to do with IE6/7 is click on a "bad link" and someone can execute code on your machine. Be careful. On my cpg1.5.x I a try to discourage people from using IE6/7. (click the link below to see) I wish others would do the same.

Yes, there are some experts in this forum doing what you are trying to do - maybe they can help.

Apologies for misunderstanding in the first place.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 19 queries.