Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No "URL upload" in Coppermine 1.5.3 RC ?!  (Read 9804 times)

m150

• Coppermine newbie
No "URL upload" in Coppermine 1.5.3 RC ?!
« on: March 08, 2010, 03:57:30 pm »

I've just installed + tested some features of Coppermine 1.5.3 RC and realized that there's no "URL upload" in this version. I think it's a very useful uploading method, especially for some website running on free host. So, could you please tell me the reason why you eliminate that feature from the 1.5.3RC version ?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: No "URL upload" in Coppermine 1.5.3 RC ?!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 04:31:28 pm »

So, could you please tell me the reason why you eliminate that feature from the 1.5.3RC version ?
Because it sucked ;).

It was not usefull at all and just led users into believing that they could save webspace using URI uploads (apparently you think so as well, with your reference to free webhosts), which was not the case: when using URI uploads, the files used to be moved from the remote server to your coppermine server and then the regular coppermine upload kicked in. No reduced webspace consumption at all. Additionally, URI uploads tempted some users to steal from others (they usually tried to steal both bandwidth as well as intelectual properties), which is something we (the dev team) have not been very fond off (although we can of course not keep users from using the app we provide in a manner that we don't like).
As suggested: they feature was useless and never should have made it into cpg1.4.x in the first place. Anyway, if URI uploads are a killer feature for you, you're welcome to stick with cpg1.4.x. If you need it badly, you're welcome to code a replacement plugin (or hire someone to code it for you).
Questions that ask "why" usually are not very valid in my experience anyway, as questions like "why does feature X work in this and that way" usually are being answered with "because it was programmed that way". You failed to respect board rules anyway, that's why there is even less relevance in your posting ::)

m150

• Coppermine newbie
Re: No "URL upload" in Coppermine 1.5.3 RC ?!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 05:26:07 pm »

As you said, I thought that "URL upload" working in the same way as "Hot Linking" image from another host to my gallery, so... can save a lot of webspace. Thanks much for your answer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 20 queries.