Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Closed]: MSSQL with coppermine  (Read 9803 times)

keitboor

• Coppermine newbie
[Closed]: MSSQL with coppermine
« on: January 26, 2010, 01:35:02 am »

Hi everyone,

I use coppermine 1.4.21 on IIS. I put all my coppermine tables on SQL Server 2008 with success but there are a driver for coppermine to use MSSQL ?

I skim through your php code to modify SQL requests... but there are a lot of things to change, so if you already dit it, it would avoid me waisting time.

Thanks you a lot in advance.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 11:56:20 am by Joachim Müller »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: MSSQL with coppermine
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 07:18:42 am »

I use coppermine 1.4.21
That's not a bright idea, as that version has got known security issues that are being exploited. Use the most recent version cpg1.4.25 (upgrade as suggested in the docs).

I put all my coppermine tables on SQL Server 2008 with success but there are a driver for coppermine to use MSSQL ?
No

I skim through your php code to modify SQL requests... but there are a lot of things to change
That's why you shouldn't do that at all. Either use mySQL or use another product than Coppermine. Manually changing Coppermine to work with MS SQL is a huge task that you will have to re-apply whenever a maintenance release comes out. Database abstraction is not a feature in Coppermine.

In The future, please respect board rules.

keitboor

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 09:47:45 am »

Thanks for the reply. I'm actually on MySQL but it's not enough for the demand that i have. So i decidied to change for a true SQL Server...

Thanks for the security issues, i will upgrade very soon.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 02:38:04 pm »

What can a mssql server do that a mysql server can not do?

keitboor

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 03:26:40 pm »

It's especially that my MySQL crash 2 days ago because there are "Too many connections" and de MySQL don't support much connections... Apache hadn't this problem in the same time... i make some search on the web and there are no true solution to grow this limit of connections without cluster or buy a more powerfull server only for MySQL.

So this is what i decidied to migrate to SQL Server 2008 that support more connections and is more strong. Now it's just my point of view :)

Fabricio Ferrero

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • From San Juan, Argentina, to the World!
    • http://fabricioferrero.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 05:09:28 am »

It's especially that my MySQL crash 2 days ago because there are "Too many connections" and de MySQL don't support much connections...
AFAIK the number of conections is totally unrelated with the soft you're using but the configuration that your webhosting service has set up for you. ;)
Read Docs and Search the Forum before posting. - Soporte en español
--*--
Fabricio Ferrero's Website

Catching up! :)

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 07:14:36 am »

Farbricio is right. MS SQL is not "stronger" ::). The hardware that the database runs on is the limiting factor if the server is yours to configure. The limitations imposed by your webhost are the limiting factor if you're hosted on shared hosting. Quite frankly, you don't appear to have the skills needed to actually port an entire app from mySQL to MS SQL, so I don't think that you will succeed. Of course you're welcome to try, and if you actually come up with something that works, we would like you to share.

keitboor

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 10:58:56 am »

It's not a share host but a dedicated host : Intel Xeon 3075 2x 2.66Ghz with 4Gb DDR2 of RAM on Linux Debian.

In the my.cnf i had comment the max_connections value and change the timeout connection few weeks ago to increase the limits but when you have 1 400/1500 visitors connect to your MySQL with 4/5 requests per visitor, MySQL crash.

I make a test with SQL Server 2008, same server, it doesn't crash... what do you want more ?

And you said that i don't have the skill to port the application, yes i have, but i don't want to port coppermine to MSSQL, i prefer to make mine in Silverlight with Deep zoom in this case.

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 11:34:21 am »

IMO changing from Debian to a windows base system is a downgrade and you are creating yourself a lot of work. Better to work out why your MySql is failing. Many people run apps with a far greater use of resources than you (wikipedia is just one example). We are not here to advise on server setup issues however. Your best bet would be to ask on the Debian forums.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 11:56:10 am »

Yeah, sure: Silverlight - that Microsoft thingie that will only work in their browser ::). Sounds promising (for whatever you try to implement)  ;D.
And MS Server 2008 as a replacement for Linux, because your mySQL table crashed. I guess that if your bike gets a flat tire you're going to convert it into a pram. Whatever, this is none of our business (as we don't support server setup in the first place): you heard our advice. If you still feel that you should do what you're up to, then fine - go ahead. Marking this thread accordingly.

keitboor

• Coppermine newbie
Re: [Closed]: MSSQL with coppermine
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 11:17:46 am »

Anyway, I didn't count on your consent to change my Debian server to Windows Server 2008 R2. Thank you for your returns.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.