Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Closed]: Setting Admin Profile Email Address  (Read 4631 times)

Programmer in Training

• Coppermine newbie
[Closed]: Setting Admin Profile Email Address
« on: January 22, 2010, 07:14:29 pm »

When I was configuring CPG for the first time (http://adragonstale.joseph-a-nagy-jr.us/personas/), I set the Admin email address as I needed it.

http://www.joseph-a-nagy-jr.us/images/problems/cpg-settings-correct.jpg

I went about setting everything else as I needed it so I can distribute my Personas and everything went according to plan, or so I thought.

Once I was done setting everything up, I checked out the user profile for the Admin account (the only one that will ever be) and I saw that the email address was incorrect.

http://www.joseph-a-nagy-jr.us/images/problems/cpg-settings-incorrect.jpg

After searching the docs and finding new recourse, I decided to come here. I have non qualms about hand editing any of the files, but before I did so I just wanted to check to see if there was something basic that I was missing. I need the email address in the Admin profile to reflect a correct and valid address. I can add another user account with admin privileges, but that doesn't solve this problem if someone goes to the admin profile to look for a way to report problems or whatever (and I would rather only use the one account).

I installed this on my web host via CPanel/SimpleScripts running Linux for this account (CentOS if the error messages are to be trusted).
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 04:38:59 pm by Joachim Müller »

Nibbler

Re: Setting Admin Profile Email Address
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 07:24:46 pm »

The Coppermine installer asks you to provide your email address during installation. Since you used an autoinstaller who knows... we don't support them.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 07:28:21 pm »

I installed this on my web host via CPanel/SimpleScripts
...which is the reason for the issues you had. Using auto-installers sucks and goes unsupported. The only supported install method is the one we suggest in our docs. You just figured out one of the reasons why we don't like auto-installers: what you report wouldn't have happened if you were using the installer we provide instead of relying on some auto-installer that someone else created and that contains mistakes.
The email address you enter into the installer of the version we provide doesn't go into the admin user's profile at all. Instead, it's being used to populate the corresponding config field - see http://coppermine-gallery.net/demo/cpg14x/docs/index.htm#install_screen_start

Joachim

P.S. In the future please attach screenshots instead of hotlinking them as per board rules
P.P.S. The plural of "persona" is "personae" - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persona  ;)

Programmer in Training

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 07:29:12 pm »

So you can't even suggest a fix? Thanks, what great support you guys have. See ya.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 07:35:13 pm »

So you can't even suggest a fix?
The fix is not to use auto-installers. Another possible fix would be to edit the profile using coppermine's UI and fill in the correct email address. What did you expect? The mistake doesn't lie in coppermine, so what miracle suggestions should we come up with? We're not familiar with the auto-installer you used and therefore we can't come up with a fix for it.
Your remark
Thanks, what great support you guys have. See ya.
was utterly uncalled for. We haven't done anything wrong and answered your question as good as we could, while you misbehaved by not respecting board rules and blaming something on us that we have no control over. It fits that you haven't even bothered to resolve your thread. What a lousy attitude ::). Farewell.

Programmer in Training

• Coppermine newbie
[SOLVED]Re: Setting Admin Profile Email Address
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 08:01:19 pm »

Before I go, here is the solution, which I found after brainstorming for a bit.

Since everything is stored in MySQL:
  • login to your database (I used phpmyadmin)
  • select the db for coppermine
  • select the _users section
  • Find the appropriate entry for admin
  • Click edit
  • edit the email address and save

And you are right. My attitude was poor, but so is the support.

Programmer in Training

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 08:07:16 pm »

...which is the reason for the issues you had. Using auto-installers sucks and goes unsupported. The only supported install method is the one we suggest in our docs. You just figured out one of the reasons why we don't like auto-installers: what you report wouldn't have happened if you were using the installer we provide instead of relying on some auto-installer that someone else created and that contains mistakes.

Point made and taken.

The email address you enter into the installer of the version we provide doesn't go into the admin user's profile at all. Instead, it's being used to populate the corresponding config field - see http://coppermine-gallery.net/demo/cpg14x/docs/index.htm#install_screen_start

I call that a bug. It should populate every email field associated with the administrator account. The admin account should also be configurable via your UI, and it is not. I would not be here if it was.

P.S. In the future please attach screenshots instead of hotlinking them as per board rules

Sorry, I won't do that because sometimes I have large images (I refuse to insert a 35KB image into any forum, never know who is on dial-up and who isn't).

Fare-thee-well.

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 09:09:49 pm »

I call that a bug. It should populate every email field associated with the administrator account. The admin account should also be configurable via your UI, and it is not. I would not be here if it was.

I beg to differ, it certainly is if you download and install our version. Instead you choose to install a version of our code wrecked by your host to meet their needs, they may not want the user to edit certain things so they regain more control. We don't know what they have done to the code which is another reason we cannot suppor their work. As you dont want to upgrade to a genuine copy I will leave you to edit the tables as you see fit.

As for you calling the support poor, why should we a) Support code modified others that we don't know and b) put up with the attitude you display. We don't owe you anything. Had you simply upgraded to a copy of our code as requested you might have got a different response.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 04:34:44 pm »

Let's just say that Mr. Nagy's attitude will shine back on him, as this thread remains premanently. Let's leave it to those who will come across this thread to judge about his attitude. Locking and marking thread as closed, as nice Mr. Nagy failed to resolve his thread although he was told to do so.

For the sake of completeness I'm attaching his hotlinked images to my posting here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 20 queries.