Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Captcha For Spam Sign-Ups  (Read 3536 times)

nowordneeded

• Coppermine frequent poster
Captcha For Spam Sign-Ups
« on: January 21, 2010, 04:58:52 pm »

I did look for this topic in the search mode, but couldn't find this one unless it's buried. However, I was wondering if there was a way to add Captcha to the sign up screen so that I can avoid the continual spamming I'm getting. I do have my galleries on moderation in terms of I have to approve all registrations, but I'm getting sometimes 30 - 40 a day with sequential alpha-numerical usernames like abcd993, efgh994, ijkl995, etc. I have a custom field in the sign up portion that must be filled in for the registration to be accepted, but that isn't solving the issue of continued flooding with these spam sign ups.

Thanks in advance, and I'm sorry if this was already asked.

NWN
Sometimes my musings are too confusing for someone not inside my head.

Jeff Bailey

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Fishing relaxes me.
    • Bailey Family Co.
Re: Captcha For Spam Sign-Ups
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 05:41:26 pm »

Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it. - Henry Ford

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 07:28:57 pm »

I did look for this topic in the search mode, but couldn't find this one unless it's buried.
Nonsense. Searching for the term "captcha" will lead you to the proper results. For me, the first search result is a hit already. I have no idea what you have made wrong when performing a search.
Searching for "comment spam" might be a good alternative...
As Jeff already suggested, you need to respect board rules in the future. This will make supporters much more willing to look into your issues in detail.

nowordneeded

• Coppermine frequent poster
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 08:24:29 pm »

Nonsense. Searching for the term "captcha" will lead you to the proper results. For me, the first search result is a hit already. I have no idea what you have made wrong when performing a search.
Searching for "comment spam" might be a good alternative...
As Jeff already suggested, you need to respect board rules in the future. This will make supporters much more willing to look into your issues in detail.

Joachim:

This has nothing at all to do with posting a link to my gallery. The issue isn't with the gallery, but with what I'm getting in my personal email inbox. Unless I'm to provide a link and password to my email address? I don't mean to come off as snarky, but I did do a search and what I came up with wasn't what you linked to. Or at least, when I read it over, I didn't see it. And you don't have to talk to me like I'm six.

NWN
Sometimes my musings are too confusing for someone not inside my head.

Jeff Bailey

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Fishing relaxes me.
    • Bailey Family Co.
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 08:50:09 pm »

8. Post links
When posting a support request, it's helpfull for supporters in most cases to see what the actual page looks like, that's why it's mandatory that you always post a link to your coppermine gallery page when asking for support. If your site contains adult content, make sure to post a warning together with your link!
You need to post a link whenever you ask for support. It doesn't matter if you think we need it or not. These are the rules you agreed to when signing up. Please respect them.

Both of the Captcha plugins do what you want.
Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it. - Henry Ford
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 19 queries.