Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newb - Assisting HOST fix a problem  (Read 8553 times)

Janster

• Coppermine newbie
Newb - Assisting HOST fix a problem
« on: December 27, 2009, 06:41:31 pm »

I've had Coppermine installed through our host (application) for many years. I'm a casual user and don't know much about it.

My host made some upgrades and moved our site to another location/server a while back. 

At first, all the normal sized photos & fullsize photos weren't working (when you click on thumbnail). They all came up RedX's. 
I submitted a work ticket and pushed the issue until they finally got this issue resolved.

Not a month later - I tried to batch-add 3 files to the gallery. This is the first time I've attempted to do this since their server upgrade. 
The batch-add wouldn't go through. The "OK" icon is a redX and when I click on the red x - I get "There was an error while processing a database query"
Coppermine does produce the thumnails & normal images from the original.
AND  It deposited these new thumbnails into some albums I haven't touched in years.  ????

After I discovered this wasn't working - I went back in and deleted all the files (originals, thumbnails, normals,etc) and tried it again. Same results 

I submitted another work-ticket to my host to have this fixed - but I've since received an e-mail requesting more 'step by step' information and screen shots.   Because Coppermine & the host aren't connected (essentially) - I'm not sure what I can tell them??
Here's a screen shot at the end of the batch-add process.
http://www.lieblweb.com/Temporary/Technical%20Picts/LieblwebPS..jpg
Here's a screen shot of the thumbnails it mysteriously stuck into albums that I haven't touched in 2 years?
http://www.lieblweb.com/Temporary/Technical%20Picts/LieblwebSS..jpg

I know this has to do with the server upgrade. I'm sure - somewhere - they need to change directories or routing or whatever....

I hope this isn't a lost cause - and I hope I don't have to un-install and re-install this due to the server move.

Is there anything I can tell them that will give the host a clue on how to fix this and get this back to where it was before they messsed shit up?? (pardon...its kinda been frustrating. I watch another website also and I've been having the same issues with that site also).
Thankyou and sorry to bother you.

Nibbler

Re: Newb - Assisting HOST fix a problem
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 07:07:39 pm »

Janster

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 09:32:04 pm »

Please follow the upload troubleshooting guide.

http://coppermine-gallery.net/demo/cpg14x/docs/index.htm#upload_trouble

Thanks! I hope I did that right.

I copied and pasted all the debug info and sent it to them.  I have no clue.  I don't have much faith in them being able to figure this out anytime soon.
We'll see...

If & when they figure this out - I would assume I can put the debug settings back to original?  Or should I not bother with that?
This gallery should only be accessible to myself and my husband. We don't allow others to upload to it.

Nibbler

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 09:44:29 pm »

You are supposed to provide the requested info to us. Not much point posting here otherwise.

Janster

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 10:50:40 pm »

You are supposed to provide the requested info to us. Not much point posting here otherwise.

:o

I wasn't expecting you guys to fix this or even troubleshoot - just suggestions.  Since the gallery worked perfectly prior to the host server upgrades - I'm assuming this is a problem with the host and not Coppermine itself.   And most likely, something I don't have access to change or fix myself anyway. 

You did help with the debug and hopefully they'll see something in there - if not, then perhaps I'll come back.

Nibbler

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 11:04:14 pm »

This is a support forum; fixing and troubleshooting is what we are here for. If you follow the instructions you will get an error message that will tell you/us exactly what is wrong.

If you just want suggestions, they are listed in the manual: http://coppermine-gallery.net/demo/cpg14x/docs/index.htm#upload_error_messages

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 11:35:27 am »

I've had Coppermine installed through our host (application) for many years.
Yeah, we can tell. Your gallery at http://www.lieblweb.com/cpg/ is outdated and needs updating. Don't rely on your webhost to do your homework. Webhosts suck at that task, and the only recommended and supported install/upgrade method is the one we provide in our docs (the docs come with your copy of coppermine as well, see http://www.lieblweb.com/cpg/docs/). You're running cpg1.4.18, which is outdated and has known security vulnerabilities that are actively being exploited by malevolent attackers, that's why you (not your webhost!) need to upgrade to the most recent stable release (currently cpg1.4.25). Don't ask your host to fix your problems, because they usually can't. They're at least not very good at this, and it's none of their business. It's your task, not theirs.

I wasn't expecting you guys to fix this or even troubleshoot - just suggestions.
If you need support, do as supporters suggest. If you don't need support, don't bother to post here. Asking for "suggestions" is the same as asking for support. Suggestion is: RTFM first.

Janster

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 03:55:01 pm »

Yeah, we can tell. Your gallery at http://www.lieblweb.com/cpg/ is outdated and needs updating. Don't rely on your webhost to do your homework. Webhosts suck at that task, and the only recommended and supported install/upgrade method is the one we provide in our docs (the docs come with your copy of coppermine as well, see http://www.lieblweb.com/cpg/docs/). You're running cpg1.4.18, which is outdated and has known security vulnerabilities that are actively being exploited by malevolent attackers, that's why you (not your webhost!) need to upgrade to the most recent stable release (currently cpg1.4.25). Don't ask your host to fix your problems, because they usually can't. They're at least not very good at this, and it's none of their business. It's your task, not theirs.

If you need support, do as supporters suggest. If you don't need support, don't bother to post here. Asking for "suggestions" is the same as asking for support. Suggestion is: RTFM first.
Sorry to bother you guys.....  I'm as green as they come.   

Yes, the gallery is outdated and we've had issues with the vulnerabilities in the past (rather annoying).  Coppermine was installed through the host site as an application through their control panel.  Very easy (no brainer).

We'd love to upgrade - but because this is somewhat attached to the host (??), I'm not sure how we upgrade without going through them. 
Or whether we have to un-install at the control panel and install a totally new Coppermine outside of their controls?
Unfortuantely, we don't have any clue how to deal with this type of programming/databases or evne know how to maintain even after we have it installed.  So, you can see our 'resistance' to doing this on our own without some serious time to research/learn and I'm not sure I have the time to do that.

Joe Carver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka 'i-imagine'
    • Home Page
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 04:19:35 pm »

Yes, the gallery is outdated and we've had issues with the vulnerabilities in the past (rather annoying). 
.........without some serious time to research/learn and I'm not sure I have the time to do that.

As a webmaster you might want to reconsider the way you spend your time.....being annoyed or learning and doing new things. In any case you will need to learn about making backups and doing FTP (webmaster basics) if a hacker gets into your vulnerable website......

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 07:36:33 pm »

Unfortunately, any host based install we cannot support. Where does this leave you? Well, it is quite simple if you follow the advice Joachim has given. Simply upgrade as per the docs. There is no need to speak to your host, just do it. Perform a backup using your ftp app and whatever app your control panel provides for doing a backup of the database first. If you can do that then you are fully up to the task.

If you don't know how to use a ftp app then you need to learn this simple task. Filezilla is about as easy as it gets. You are simple copying files just like you would from you desktop to an external hard disk or memory stick. In this case you are copying them you your hosting space and the ftp app is just providing an easy connection to that space. It takes most users less than half an hour to work out how to use this kind of app.

First try the backup. If you have trouble doing that then find someone who can help you. It is beyond the scope of this board to teach basic things like that.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Janster

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 08:18:15 pm »

Unfortunately, any host based install we cannot support. Where does this leave you? Well, it is quite simple if you follow the advice Joachim has given. Simply upgrade as per the docs. There is no need to speak to your host, just do it. Perform a backup using your ftp app and whatever app your control panel provides for doing a backup of the database first. If you can do that then you are fully up to the task.

If you don't know how to use a ftp app then you need to learn this simple task. Filezilla is about as easy as it gets. You are simple copying files just like you would from you desktop to an external hard disk or memory stick. In this case you are copying them you your hosting space and the ftp app is just providing an easy connection to that space. It takes most users less than half an hour to work out how to use this kind of app.

First try the backup. If you have trouble doing that then find someone who can help you. It is beyond the scope of this board to teach basic things like that.

I think you guys totally mis-understood my questions.    The Coppermine gallery worked PERFECTLY until they (the host) relocated the entire site/files to a new server. Everything was MOVED.

Believe it or not - but this isn't the only problem I've had with the gallery since they moved everything.  I had problems with the fullsize images not loading.  After countless calls & e-mails, they finally fixed that problem. 

Even now, they've claimed to have fixed the problem.  They haven't...  I keep sending them screen shots & detailed info (aside from the debug info I already sent them) and they can't figure this out.   

Just looking for any hints to tell them how/where to look for changes in amoungest the database files/programming that involve moving items from one place to another. 

Joe Carver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka 'i-imagine'
    • Home Page
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 08:50:55 pm »

You need to tell them what already has been told to you - upgrade!

<!--Coppermine Photo Gallery 1.4.18 (stable)-->

Is out of date and vulnerable to hackers.
Support is not generally provided to out of date versions. Come back when the upgrade is done.

Janster

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 09:27:45 pm »

You need to tell them what already has been told to you - upgrade!

<!--Coppermine Photo Gallery 1.4.18 (stable)-->

Is out of date and vulnerable to hackers.
Support is not generally provided to out of date versions. Come back when the upgrade is done.

I can upgrade via the host control panel.  However - I've been told that this will create a totally new coppermine gallery. 
It will not add to or upgrade the current gallery.

I'll have to create an entirely new photo gallery through the upgrade, batch-add 8,000+ pictures all over again into the newest gallery PLUS lose countless links that I have directed towards photos in the current gallery.   Sounds like a lot of fun....  :'(  I'll need another weeks vacation to do it all.

Joe Carver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka 'i-imagine'
    • Home Page
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 10:11:41 pm »

No you, and they too, are just plain wrong. The instructions to upgrade are probably shorter than the amount of text that you have written in this post (see and read the Documentation link here at the top).

Your host has no real interest in supporting what they get for free and give away as an enticement for your business. The situation that you assume that you are in is why the moderators of this board choose not to support automatic installations.

You have been given the keys, now it is up to you to learn how to drive.

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 11:27:46 pm »

What part of "upgrade now" are you struggling to get? It is a no brainer, either you leve things as they are, get hacked and loose all your work while at the same time annoying other users on the same server as you and your host. Or you upgrade now as per the docs which will in all likelyhood fix all your problems.

You new server is most likely to be running newer versions of PHP etc. It could be that some of the fixes that have alread gone into the core of coppermine were for the very problems you are experiencing ie. to make it compatible with the newer versions of PHP.

We will not discuss this matter further until you have either upgraded as per the aformentioned docs or you need help upgrading. It is a simple job and will probably take under half an hour. It usually takes me less than ten minutes. So go away, read the docs and upgrade.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 19 queries.