Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: In doubt...  (Read 2091 times)

laufer

• Coppermine newbie
In doubt...
« on: December 21, 2009, 02:37:02 pm »

First of all, I think this is the right forum for my question (If not please move my post to appropriate forum)
Second, I want to thank you for this great gallery, it made my life easier. Cheers to the devs. :)
Now... I don't know it this is a appropriate topic to post, but feel free to move my question. :)
I'm starting a photo community driven website (I already have a full functional forum with 500 users) and I'm planning to install a new gallery and bridge it with my forum. Right now, I see there is 1.5.2 version (for testing purposes, I know) and because I'm designing a theme from scratch, is it wise to wait a month or two (or more..) for the final production version of 1.5.x or go with 1.4. and later upgrade? If I start with 1.4.x , how will coppermine 1.4 themes behave when it comes to 1.5.x and will I be able to easly "upgrade" my themes for the newest version or is it going to be "building from scratch" again? I tested 1.5.2 and it really works smooth (did not tried bridging with phpbb 3.0 though), heck it even made me think of using it "in production" . :)
I'd be glad if you could give me some advice... thank you in advance , and sorry for my bad English. :)

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
Re: In doubt...
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 03:10:07 pm »

Welcome to the forums.

I am sure you are not the only one facing this dilema but our advice at the moment is to stick with 1.4.25. As the coppermine team are mainly doing this as a hobby there is no set timescale as to when 1.5.x will be released so you could end up waiting far too long for your needs. At the moment many bug fixes are being done each week not just with the main software but also with the many plugins that are kindly being contributed by the community.

Upgrading a theme may or may not be a simple task. It all depends on how much custom code you are going to include in your theme.php file. Having said that, if you are savvy enough to work on that to any extent the you probably will not have any trouble upgrading.

http://documentation.coppermine-gallery.net/en/theme.htm

As for version 1.5.2, it is up to you whether you use it or not but bear in mind there is no support at all for it until it gets released fully. If you do decide to use and experiment with please do not come on here asking for support, you use it at your own risk.

If you do decide to create a theme for 1.5.x them please feel free to contribute it to the community. Also feel free to submit bug reports but make sure you do them correctly and read everything Joachim has written here.

http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/topic,62505.0.html
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

laufer

• Coppermine newbie
Re: In doubt...
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 04:53:56 pm »

Thank you for your answer. As there is no fixed release schedule for 1.5.x, I will test both versions and see what's best for me. I've read the docs and I'll try to post bugs (if I spot any). And yeah... how could I be selfish and keep the theme for me?! :) I'll be glad to contribute to CPG... at least with fresh themes.
Cheers. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 20 queries.