Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Closed]: Registration Emails Not Sent  (Read 12927 times)

Tombstone

• Coppermine newbie
[Closed]: Registration Emails Not Sent
« on: November 24, 2009, 04:03:43 am »

- I'm using Coppermine Photo Gallery 1.4.25 (stable)
- URL to my site is: http://cvmaflorida.org/photobook

- I have turned on ECARD Logging
- ECARD Permission is turned on for everyone including guests

- User registration requires email verification  - YES
- Notify admin of user registration by email  - YES
- Admin activation of registrations  - YES

- I've tried leaving the SMTP settings blank and I've tried using my own SMTP Server credentials.  (I use this SMTP Server for my primary email so I know it works)

DESCRIPTION:
For some reason, none of the email or ecards seem to send the messages.  I am looking to be notified when a new user registers but the email doesn't appear to send.
I compose ecards to my email address but they are never delivered.

If you could help  me out, I would appreciate it.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 07:44:14 pm by Phill Luckhurst »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Registration Emails Not Sent
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 10:08:24 am »

I expect that you have configured the from email address in coppermine's config with a valid email address; if not, do so now.
If this doesn't help: ask your webhost for support: coppermine doesn't come with an email mechanism of it's own. Instead, it assumes that the webserver's built in mailing capabilities are configured and working. In fact it just uses the PHP function mail and just adds the correct parameters (i.e. the ones you specify in coppermine's config) to that command. This being said: your webhost should be able to say if the webserver is configured accordingly and wether you're allowed to send emails from the server in the first place. You can easily test for yourself by creating a PHP file and making it send an email using the said function (take a look at the example code at the bottom of the PHP manual I refered to); if that email get's delivered, you need to look into coppermine. If it doesn't, only your webhost can help (if at all). Some webhosts disallow sending of emails due to spam problems and security concerns.

Joachim

Tombstone

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 02:05:38 pm »

Thanks for your quick feedback.  I am running Simple Machines Forum on my site as well and it uses Send Mail without problem so there's no issue with that.  I only tried my SMTP credentials when the send mail didn't work however I didn't consider, as you mentioned, my host may not particularly like an SMTP from another server.
I've removed those SMTP settings and am back to send mail but without any luck still.

When you said

"You can easily test for yourself by creating a PHP file and making it send an email using the said function (take a look at the example code at the bottom of the PHP manual I refereed to); if that email get's delivered, you need to look into Coppermine."

Did you have a specific place to begin looking in Coppermine?  I used the PHP example #1 from the page you suggested and the email went through with no problem so I'm back to Coppermine.

Thanks for your help

Best

Tombstone

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 11:29:54 pm »

OK, please take a screenshot of the config screen that displays the admin email address setting. Please attach that screenshot to your posting.

Tombstone

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 12:26:03 am »

Thanks.  Screen shot attached

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 09:25:44 am »

I have asked for something else: I have not asked for a screenshot of the SMTP settings. Instead, I have asked for a screenshot of the email address.
Go to coppermine's config, expand the "General settings" section and take a look at the third option from top that is named "Gallery administrator email".

Tombstone

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 01:43:39 pm »

Sorry about that.  I misunderstood what you were asking for.

I've also attached a file "Pphp_info.pdf" in case that will provide you with more needed info.

THanks for your continued support.

***** Edit - Removed PHP info as it contains sensitive data that could be used by hackers - PL *****
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 05:08:57 pm by Phill Luckhurst »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 06:41:51 pm »

Does your webserver (cvmaflorida.org) act as a relay for the domain rixnet.net? I doubt that. Set up an email address gallery [AT] cvmaflorida [DOT] org and then fill that in.
Additionally, I'm not sure if the script can cope with some many single quotes und such long gallery names and descriptions. Please do temporarily replace that with something simple, ideally leave the description blank for now. Then try again.

Tombstone

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 07:24:27 pm »

You are correct, there is NO relay between the two domains.

Setup contact [AT] cvmaflorida.[org] email address however, there were still no notification.

I hesitate to change the album names or descriptions because I don't see the relevance to notifications of a new registrant sent the administrator.  Can you please elaborate?

Thanks, as always

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 09:47:54 am »

Change the gallery description (the second option from top) on the config page to get rid of all those apostrophes (single quotes) that have a special meaning in computing. That's a one-time-setting. I haven't said to change the album description, but the gallery description. Please read my replies carefully in the future - I usually mean what I say, and it's not nice to be forced to explain everything twice. Doesn't "Combat Veteran" mean that you have served in the army?
After you did, please attach another screenshot of your config screen with the "general settings" section expanded.

Tombstone

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 01:27:45 pm »

I've changed to gallery description as you suggested and the issue continues (screen shot attached).  Still no notification email.

I appreciate you assistance however I don't appreciate your belligerent attitude.  I did in fact, serve in the army for 22 years and have been, as the name of our organization suggests, been to combat several times.  Since you decided to take it to a personal level, I'll tell you that I also served in Germany for several years.  Have some respect for God sake.  I don't find it outlandish for me to ask you to explain the motive behind your instruction.

Thanks again for your time and support.

Joe Carver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka 'i-imagine'
    • Home Page
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 02:25:40 pm »

Unless your host/server is set up poorly or allows for mail relay (see #7 above) your settings will probably not work.

Try this, step by step.

- Create a mail address using your Coppermine domain name - send mail to yourself using a mail program - does it work as a "normal" email address?
- Set the same address into the field Gallery Administrator email - send yourself an ecard - does it work?
- If it doesn't work you should then be able to see Error Messages (mail failed, return to sender, etc....) returned to your Inbox. Look at those and look into the headers if need be to find what/why your mail is failing.

For current and future readers....
Remember that the help pop-ups (?) that you have enabled can give great directions/instructions

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 02:58:30 pm »

Setup contact [AT] cvmaflorida.[org] email address however, there were still no notification.
Just setting that email address up won't do anything. I said
Set up an email address gallery [AT] cvmaflorida [DOT] org and then fill that in.
You did the first (maybe, can't verify), but failed to do the later. The second screenshot you atteched shows that you still have that email address from rixnet.net in coppermine's config. I already told you that your server will probably not relay for that other domain, and you said
You are correct, there is NO relay between the two domains.
Then why don't you do as suggested?

I did in fact, serve in the army for 22 years and have been, as the name of our organization suggests, been to combat several times.
I asked if you have served in the army because I have served in the army as well, which taught me (among some other things) that sometimes it's better to follow instructions to a T even if you don't understand them. I assumed that this was the case for you as well, and that's why I asked in the first place.

Have some respect for God sake.
That's exactly what I ask from you: you have been told what to (do three times already), but you did something else because you did not pay enough attention and because you haven't read what I posted thoroughly. I don't expect you to have the same skill levels in this aspect (you wouldn't be asking for support if you already knew how this technology works), but I expect that you respect the time and skills that supporters put into their answers by reading carefully. If you don't understand an answer, then ask. But that was not the case: you just haven't read carefully.

I don't find it outlandish for me to ask you to explain the motive behind your instruction.
I already told you: the webserver of the domain cvmaflorida.org will not relay for the domain rixnet.net. By specifying the email address from rixnet.net in your gallery's setup as admin email address (i.e. "from"-address), you instruct your server to send emails for someone else. That's what the term "relaying" means. For security reasons your webserver is probably configured not to do that. However, I'm just blindly guessing here. You should have done as I suggested initially and should have asked your webhost for support, since only they could know about your webserver setup. You don't pay attention to instructions (again) and then you finally try to put the blame on me, accusing me to get personal. I was not; I was just trying to remind you of rules, as I thought that you used to belong to an organization (the army) where rules count.

Joachim

Tombstone

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 03:48:54 pm »

Joachim,

Thanks for your help up to this point.  I think I can take it from here.

Best,

Tombstone

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
Re: [Closed]: Registration Emails Not Sent
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 07:44:38 pm »

In that case I will mark this thread as closed.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 20 queries.