Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where/How to customize the Login screen  (Read 9198 times)

eventide

• Coppermine novice
    • Eventide Web Design
Where/How to customize the Login screen
« on: November 13, 2009, 08:45:21 pm »

In the Album List View of the Config section I have the "Width of the main table" set to 540 px to fit within my site. However the login page must be in another table, or page, or what have you because the Album List View setting doesn't affect it. I can't find in any of the Config sections or here in the forums where, or even if the login area width can be set.

Where can I do this?

Thanks for anyone's help.
f u cn rd ths u cn gt a gd jb n prgrmmng

susied

• Coppermine novice
Re: Where/How to customize the Login screen
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 08:50:18 pm »

I didn't have to change a width in configuration stuff. I believe this got handled by my html within my templates tables.

eventide

• Coppermine novice
    • Eventide Web Design
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 08:52:40 pm »

Hmm - the whole Coppermine code is inside a div set to a specific width, yet the login section goes out beyone the right margin...

Doesn't make sense.

eventide

• Coppermine novice
    • Eventide Web Design
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 09:01:44 pm »

The div the Coppermine code is in is set to 580px wide. And the div that contains all of the site contents is set to 800px, yet the login goes beyond both of those boundaries (and the Album does too, if I set its width to anything greater than 540px).

Here's the page: KoKos Pet Spa. Click on the login link and you'll see what I'm talking about.

susied

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 10:48:10 pm »

I checked but it looks like you might have gotten it fixed.

BTW, we use 1 vote instead of the 5 star. If you want I can get you to the link I used to change that part.

Also, are you very good with menu tabs? I need to widen mine and can't figure it out.

http://catconnection.net/contest/cpg1.4.25/cpg14x/thumbnails.php?album=9

eventide

• Coppermine novice
    • Eventide Web Design
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 10:53:21 pm »

I checked but it looks like you might have gotten it fixed.
Nope. Click on the Login link and you'll see that the login box spills way over to the right.

BTW, we use 1 vote instead of the 5 star. If you want I can get you to the link I used to change that part.

Also, are you very good with menu tabs? I need to widen mine and can't figure it out.

http://catconnection.net/contest/cpg1.4.25/cpg14x/thumbnails.php?album=9
How are the tabs generated? Straight html, javascript? If they're in a table have you tried setting the table width to 100%?

I personally use menu building software: Sothink DTML Menu and love it.

susied

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 11:12:28 pm »

Thanks. I was trying to do it with CSS but am not very good at CSS.  Give me a bit and I will try to look into your problem.

It looks like the album part is working fine. Just the Register and Login has the problem.

eventide

• Coppermine novice
    • Eventide Web Design
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 11:17:48 pm »

If you're building that with <span>s and <div>s and the like, good luck! Before I got the menu software I mentioned I tried doing that and I just ended up using tables. Styling purists be dammed!  ;)

susied

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 11:21:53 pm »

In view source it says that table is 600. Do you know where that is coming from?

eventide

• Coppermine novice
    • Eventide Web Design
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 11:32:53 pm »

Dang. Didn't even think to look in such an obvious place!  ::)

I don't think I set anything to 600px, as the rest of the site has to stay within that 800px constraint (minus the side bar, etc, which puts the main content to something like 580px)

I wonder if it's Coppermine - going to take a look at the stylesheet.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

eventide

• Coppermine novice
    • Eventide Web Design
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 08:36:35 pm »

Thanks for the link, Joachim. I downloaded the link but IE8 didn't seem to care for it too much: kept getting an "Internet Explorer has stopped working" message. I disabled the toolbar, restarted IE and no more messages. But that's not your problem - you're just trying to help (plus I hadn't tried it in FF yet...).

Anyway, as SusieD did, I looked at the source code of the rendered page closely (via View Source) and both the Register and Login tables are set at 600px width. Where can I find that width setting? It's not in the CSS and not anywhere in the Config settings either, from what I can see.

Thanks for your help!

eventide

• Coppermine novice
    • Eventide Web Design
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 03:16:56 pm »

I still haven't been able to figure out how to set/adjust the width of the Register and Login tables.

Could someone help me out, please?

Thanks!

Joe Carver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka 'i-imagine'
    • Home Page
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 03:27:25 pm »

(plus I hadn't tried it in FF yet...).

As a general rule for webmasters and webmistresses is that you always need to use different browsers when you start making changes....

In files login.php and register.php you will find html that you can modify. BUT - you must keep in mind that ALL "non-theme" modifications are lost when you perform the required updates/upgrades to Coppermine in the future.

eventide

• Coppermine novice
    • Eventide Web Design
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 03:37:28 pm »

As a general rule for webmasters and webmistresses is that you always need to use different browsers when you start making changes....

In files login.php and register.php you will find html that you can modify. BUT - you must keep in mind that ALL "non-theme" modifications are lost when you perform the required updates/upgrades to Coppermine in the future.

Thank you for the tip about the different browsers. That's why I have Safari, Chrome, FF, IE, and Konqueror loaded - to do just that. I just hadn't checked it out in the others as of that writing.

Also, thanks for letting me know about the individual login and register php files.

I find it highly odd, however, that, though there is a setting in the Config section for the main gallery table, there isn't such a setting in the Config section for the login and register tables. If someone would need to alter the width of the gallery table, then it only stands to reason that they would likely also need to alter the width of any other tables that are displayed in the Coppermine gallery system as a whole.

That's my two cents.

Ah well, maybe in a future release...

eventide

• Coppermine novice
    • Eventide Web Design
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2009, 06:22:06 pm »

I guess I shouldn't have marked i-imagine's post as the answer before I looked at the files myself.

I went through both of the files and was not able to find anything that sets any widths to 600px. There are plenty of width settings in both files, but they only set them to percentages.

Maybe those files are where I need to make my changes, but if so, it's not apparent to me where in those files I would set the Login and Register tables width to something other than 600px.

Also, when viewing the source with the Login and Register tables displayed on the Web page, I see that the CSS class "maintable" is applied to the table tag, but setting the width in that class in the css file does not change anything.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

eventide

• Coppermine novice
    • Eventide Web Design
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2009, 06:53:07 pm »

I was mistaken. Setting the width in the "maintable" class in the CSS file does affect the table - I had to clear my cache to see the effect.

So, no, there's no need to mess with the login.php or register.php files to change the width of the tables the login and register sections are in. It's just a matter of CSS styling.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 19 queries.