Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Solved]: Clarity About Search, creation and use, please!  (Read 2382 times)

rrlives

• Coppermine newbie
[Solved]: Clarity About Search, creation and use, please!
« on: November 11, 2009, 11:43:16 pm »

I have been testing and searching through the world of image gallery software for six months, and until today, nothing seemed to be capable of true Boolean or what i think of as "drill down" searching. But before I get too excited, (I've gotten excited before and been kicked in the head), I need to make absolutely sure I understand what Coppermine can do.

Search Question 1)
I tested the search function on the demo pages, and it seems to do just what I want: enter "blue logo" and the only results returned are images that have both "blue" and "logo" in one of the three checked areas.  I tried it with various combinations and it seemed to work beautifully.  I wouldn't even be asking except that there is another question in this forum from someone who is looking for "michael larson" and doesn't want to get both Micheals... his problem concerned me.

Search Question 2)
Is the database reading from the IPTC and/or EXIF data embedded in the image during upload?  Because I have more than 70,000 images and I dont' want to be "tagging" them in a coppermine-specific way, I want coppermine to read and compile the database from the keywording and descriptions I have already embedded in the images themselves.

This is all critical stuff, because my images share a lot of keywords.  The images are vintage, so, for instance, tens of thousands of them will include the keyword "1940".  In every other image gallery program I've looked at, a search for "1940" and "black" and "car" will bring up black cats from 1970 and black shoes from 1960, ultimately returning thousands and thousands of pictures that I do not want.  I want only the pictures of black cars from 1940 - taken from the existing IPTC and EXIF tags.

If Coppermine can do this, I will sing Hallelujah!  (then I'll  cry because it means I have to try and learn yet ANOTHER image gallery program...)

I have another question, but I'll start another thread.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 11:46:25 pm by Joachim Müller »

rrlives

• Coppermine newbie
Re: Clarity About Search, creation and use, please!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 12:41:41 am »

And yes, I've read the docs and FAQ and I did several searches in this forum... all the answers were incomplete or conflicting. Which is why I posted.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 09:20:13 am »

Search Question 1)
I tested the search function on the demo pages, and it seems to do just what I want: enter "blue logo" and the only results returned are images that have both "blue" and "logo" in one of the three checked areas.  I tried it with various combinations and it seemed to work beautifully.
That's fine then, don't you agree. Don't let other's postings confuse you. That other guy tried to accomplish something else.

Search Question 2)
Is the database reading from the IPTC and/or EXIF data embedded in the image during upload? 
Yes, if you enabled the corresponding option in coppermine's config, some iptc and exif tags will be read and added to the database. Note the usage of the word "some" (oppossed to the word "all").

I have another question, but I'll start another thread.
Thanks for that. In fact it's mandatory, as we have a strict "one issue per thread" policy that you agreed to respect when signing up. You already have posted two questions in this thread, which is something we're not very fond of.

rrlives

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 08:11:10 pm »

Thanks for the reply.

As I'm uncertain how followups are viewed, I'll create a fresh question regarding EXIF and IPTC tags...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 19 queries.