Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Albums - Userpics folders too big, being truncated  (Read 2625 times)

KarenK

• Coppermine newbie
Albums - Userpics folders too big, being truncated
« on: November 11, 2009, 02:21:06 am »

Hi

I have Coppermine Gallery (version 1.4 .25) over at http://www.dogwalks.com.au/cpg/index.php and I have recently discovered that my automatic backups are not backing up all of my images in the gallery.

Inside Albums - Userpics I have four folders numbered 100001, 100002, 10003 and 10004. I thought, from my backups, that each folder had around 2000 images in it. It turns out they all have a lot more, folder 100001 has over 16,000 for example, it's just that I can't see them all because my hosts limit the number of files in each folder to 2000 after which they "truncate it".

This means the images are there but I can only see them using a secure FTP program. My host tells me they will increase my file limit to 8000 maximum on request, so how can I reorganise these existing folders so that they contain fewer files without disrupting the front end of the gallery? also, how can I then make sure that my folders do not become too big in the future?

Again, here is my gallery link:- http://www.dogwalks.com.au/cpg/index.php

Thank you for your help

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Albums - Userpics folders too big, being truncated
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 09:03:03 am »

Use FTP-uploads and batch-add instead of http uploads in the future. This will allow you to maintain a folder structure that matches your category / album structure. That's what we suggest in the docs.
The limitation happens on your webserver's operating system level, not on coppermine's level (i.e. on application level). That's why we can hardly help you with your backup issue except by saying "you should have read the docs in the first place", but that's not very helpful (in fact it's a lame "told you so" posting, so let's forget that option immediately).
So what to do? To move the existing files around (instead of deleting them and re-uploading them from scratch), you could try the plugin "FileMove: managing the storage folder (albums)".
Nice job on your first posting though: you posted a link to your site, your gallery is up to date and your site looks nice. Good work. I wish I could say that about most of the other first-time postings.

KarenK

• Coppermine newbie
Re: Albums - Userpics folders too big, being truncated
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 04:08:46 am »

Hi Joachim,

Thank you for your reply and kind comments. Much appreciated.

We are going to try the "File Move" plugin you mentioned. I will have a look at the Batch Upload feature too for information. I don't unfortunately think it will be an option for me I don't think as I have people in other locations as well as me uploading photos onto the site (dog walkers uploading photos of the dogs they have seen that day). Can I get back to you and let you know how we get on with the plugin?

Sorry about the manual - guilty - will go and have another look. I must have a word with my Technical Support Officer (aka husband) to translate for me!

Thank you again,
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 19 queries.