Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album Permissions by Group  (Read 4234 times)

pitzerwm

• Coppermine regular visitor
Album Permissions by Group
« on: October 01, 2009, 10:37:48 pm »

www.autocareforum.biz/photogallery/

When I click on "album permissions by group" (when "adding a new user" page) I get a screen that has "Category" "Album" and "Modify?" but so far nothing else.  Have I screwed this up or am I missing something?

I think that I understand what is available now, but a observation that might be something added in the future.  Or maybe I am not understanding the power available now.

At this time it appears that your permissions are "who/group can view the albums".  For me at least I think that I want everyone to be able to see all of the albums.

Then you have a choice if "visitors can upload to this album"  If set to yes, my understanding is that means that any logged in person can then upload a photo into that album.  At this time, my understanding is that to keep one group from placing a picture in an album that they shouldn't place a picture is to require approval for that upload with that group of people.

Would it be possible/realistic (in a future upgrade) to put in a drop down menu for the "visitors can upload to this album" like the drop down in "who can view this album" which would determine who can upload to which album.  The reason that I ask, is that in my application, I want a group of albums that everyone should be able to see but only one person should be able to upload photos into "their" album.  (Without me needing to approve) I realize that this is how it works in the personal albums, but in my case I need/want a category that is outside of the personal galleries. 

Maybe I'm making this too difficult, which comes from being a newbie.  I'm learning more every day, and find this program to be great, and obviously the support is beyond great. 

Thanks

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Album Permissions by Group
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 07:23:38 am »

For me at least I think that I want everyone to be able to see all of the albums.
That's the case by default. Ignore the "album permission by group" then. It doesn't allow you to assign anything betw, it just displays stuff. To actually assign permissions, use the album properties dialog, which is the main place where you assign permissions. The "album permissions by group" is just meant as an extra feature for admins who run galleries where there are a lot of different levels of user interaction for a lot of different groups. This is not the case for, you, so please ignore it.
Would it be possible/realistic (in a future upgrade) to put in a drop down menu for the "visitors can upload to this album" like the drop down in "who can view this album" which would determine who can upload to which album.
A more granular permission system has been requested many times over already. Many options are possible here. If you want stuff changed in future versions, you should not post on the support board though, but on the feature requests board.

The reason that I ask, is that in my application, I want a group of albums that everyone should be able to see but only one person should be able to upload photos into "their" album.  (Without me needing to approve) I realize that this is how it works in the personal albums, but in my case I need/want a category that is outside of the personal galleries.
That's the case as well for albums in public categories; just leave the "albums by groups" button alone, because it doesn't allow you to set anything, but just to view things. In other words: what you request already is possible. All albums are visible for everyone out of the box. Just go to the groups control panel and create an extra group there and name that group "uploaders". Allow them to upload to public albums without the need to be approved. Disallow the "Registered" group (where everyone else is) to upload to public albums. Apply your modifications. Then go to the album that the super user is suppossed to upload to, go to that album's properties and set "visitors can upload" to yes in that dialog. Finally, create the super user account (on the user control panel) if it doesn't already exist and make that user a member of the newly created group "Uploaders".

pitzerwm

• Coppermine regular visitor
Re: Album Permissions by Group
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 07:31:51 am »

Ok, Joachim, thanks for some clarification/suggestions. I will give it a shot. 

After a little more experience, I will use the right area for future suggestions. 

I'd even help write some of it, but we both know I am still having problems with HTML:o)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 19 queries.