Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Solved]: Image Magic or GD2 installed?  (Read 3588 times)

ThaiJan

• Coppermine newbie
[Solved]: Image Magic or GD2 installed?
« on: September 25, 2009, 05:51:15 pm »

Hi,

I'm new to this, so forgive me if I sound completely ignorant. Trying hard to learn though and reading the Documentation and Manual carefully.

To get started I used Fantastico to install Coppermine (sorry). Reading the Documentation I understand that I need Image Magic or GD2 as well, so I downloaded and installed IM on my computer.

Working my way through setting the Config following the Documantation it has become unclear to me whether IM (or GD2) also needs to be installed on my host server in the Coppermine directory.

If that is the case where do I look to determine whether Fantastico has installed it too or not? (I have of course looked, but can't see it anywhere).

http://eagleriderudon.com/coppermine/index.php

Cheers,
ThaiJan
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 08:59:08 am by Phill Luckhurst »

Joe Carver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka 'i-imagine'
    • Home Page
Re: Image Magic or GD2 installed?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 06:09:56 pm »

Using your admin tools once you are logged in you can see if your server supports GD.

Admin tools >>> Display phpinfo

Keep learning - it can be fun!
(and you will need to know more so you can maintain and upgrade your Coppermine, as you will find Fantastico will not help you in the future (and also the "automatic" installations are generally not supported on this forum))

ThaiJan

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 07:18:38 pm »

Thanks, i-imagine.

It is fun to learn  ;) - though sometimes the curve can be a little too steep and guys like you then become our heroes.

GD support enabled and bundled (2.0.34 compatible).

I'm became confused because setting "Config>Files and thumbnails advanced settings>Method for resizing images" Image Magic is the default, while reading the Doc it seems to me that GD2 is the obviously to use. Now I have set it to GD2.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Jan

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 10:57:51 pm »

To get started I used Fantastico to install Coppermine (sorry).
That goes unsupported!

Reading the Documentation I understand that I need Image Magic or GD2 as well, so I downloaded and installed IM on my computer.
No, that's not what the docs say. You don't have to install those libraries. In fact, you can't.

More reading is recommended.

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 11:27:06 pm »

I'm became confused because setting "Config>Files and thumbnails advanced settings>Method for resizing images" Image Magic is the default, while reading the Doc it seems to me that GD2 is the obviously to use. Now I have set it to GD2.

That is because you use the crappy Fantastico to install. As many users have found out, it defaults to IM even if you do not have IM on your host. This is just one of the many reasons that we do not support installations made with Fantastico.

You are not stuck though. If this is a brand new gallery with no images yet, download a fresh copy from this site and install using the method outlined in the docs. If you already have a working gallery with images etc then again, download a fresh copy from here and follow the upgrade instructions as per the docs.

Onde you have done that, switch to GD in the config or find the correct path to IM (again, outlined in the docs and in many threads on these forums).
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

ThaiJan

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 07:44:34 am »

You are not stuck though. If this is a brand new gallery with no images yet, download a fresh copy from this site and install using the method outlined in the docs.
This is exactly what I have done now, and thanks to great the documentation it wasn't "hairy" at all. (I'm really impressed about the quality of work you guys behind this have done). I agree with you it in fact makes things easier since you then know exactly what is going on, why, when, and where.

Also got clearified that my Webhost got Image Magick installed, so that's solved too.

Quote from: Phill Luckhurst
No, that's not what the docs say. You don't have to install those libraries. In fact, you can't.
You are correct. It has to be on the server only, not needed on your local computer. Sorry I didn't get that clearly in first try.

Thanks for your help so far.

Cheers,
ThaiJan
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 20 queries.