Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Protect my photos  (Read 3582 times)

Webaz

• Coppermine newbie
Protect my photos
« on: September 16, 2009, 11:36:39 am »

Hello,

I search a module to protect my photos by merging with another, like this example: http://www.justrunaway.net/cascadafan/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/c6.jpg

What addons is it?

Thx :-)

onthepike

Re: Protect my photos
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 11:51:20 am »

That's called "watermarking" and you can do that many ways. You could do it offline with any basic image editor on your PC, then upload to your website, or online via your Coppermine Gallery using Stramm's Mod Pack which is what that user is also using.

But watermarking doesn't "protect" your images. It labels them with your identity. Others may still download and save your images if they wish.

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 08:29:18 pm »

I addition to onthepike's advice I would say you are best off watermarking you files before upload. Watermarking on upload uses additional server resources which can cause problems if you are already running close to your limits.

As for protecting images from download there really is no way of doing it if you want your pics to be shown online. People have come up wil useless mode like preventing the right click etc. By the very nature of a browser those images are downloaded to your machine when you view them and with very little effort you can recover them.

So IMHO all you can do is keep the resolution low and watermark them. This way nobody will want to steal your images.

Here is a little article with some more extensive advice.

http://cameras.about.com/cs/printing/a/protectimages.htm
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 08:46:56 pm by Phill Luckhurst »
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

farmboy35

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 11:31:36 am »

I have a similar question on protection.

How to prevent users from downloading photos/files  ie make them "read only" ?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 11:36:37 am »

Not at all. Read Phill's reply and the detailed explanation he refered to. Locking.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 19 queries.