Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Additional Infos on : Trouble-shooting the upload process  (Read 4892 times)

camsam

• Coppermine newbie
Additional Infos on : Trouble-shooting the upload process
« on: September 07, 2009, 04:59:25 pm »

Hi there,

sorry for the polution, but I tried to send a pm to Joachim, which didn't work since I'm a newbie on this forum I guess.

I just wanted to add an additional information on Alternative number 3 (Workaround) :    
http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/topic,24088.msg110690.html#msg110690

Once you overwrite the original files again on the server, you will need to "reload the images informations about size and dimension" in the "Utilities".

So when you pass over with your mouse on the thumbnail in the album, you will have the correct size and dimension.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Additional Infos on : Trouble-shooting the upload process
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 04:46:32 pm »

but I tried to send a pm to Joachim, which didn't work since I'm a newbie on this forum I guess.
No, it doesn't work because we don't want you to send PMs. What gives you the impression that I want to be sent a PM? You seem not to have read board rules.

Read the documentation, section "asking for support on upload issues" and do exactly as suggested there if you have issues with uploading. There's a reason why we wrote the docs... ::) And there's a reason why that thread is locked...

You got it wrong: alternative 3 doesn't say that you're suppossed to re-upload files that already exist on the server, overwriting the existing ones. If you do that, you will of course have to trigger the admin utilities re-calculation (we're aware of that; in fact that's why we added that feature to the admin tools). Instead, the alternative method #3 from the sticky you refer is meant as a guide for resizing images on your client before uploading them to your webspace in the first place.
While we appreciate attempts to improve the documentation we provide, we ask users to read instructions thoroughly. What I did was unstickyfying the thread you refered to: the corresponding section in the docs is what counts.

camsam

• Coppermine newbie
Re: Additional Infos on : Trouble-shooting the upload process
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 01:52:12 pm »

Thanks for these informations Joachim and sorry for not having read carefully the board rules.  :-[

Maybe I needed to clear out the purpose of my gallery. Registered users need to be able to download my original images (max resolution), therefore, they are over 5mb.

So I would suggest you to add a 4th alternative in your document which retakes most of alternative 3 :

- Resize jpg into lower resolution so that they won't exceed 5mb each
- upload them via FTP into the specified album folder
- upload them via FTP tool from the gallery (so that GD can build the thumbnails and intermediate size if activated)
- upload the original "oversized" pictures on the same specified album folder and overwrite them all
- use the utility tool "reload the images informations about size and dimension"; so that when you rollover your cursor over the thumbnails, the correction information is shown.

Doing this will allow you to keep the original size of your pictures in the best possible quality.

And for people who are using RAW pictures like CR2 for Canon, this is what I did in my gallery :

- added "cr2" in the advanced parameters on the "text documents" to accept
- added "cr2" in the files types as a document to be opened with application\fast viewer (could be Irfanview as well i.e.)
- uploaded via FTP into the specified album folder
- uploaded via FTP tool from the gallery (GD is not used since it's not an "image" format)

Of course, there is no thumbnail created, but the download (or in download in zip file) is possible based on the name of the image.

I guess I could make my own thumbnails using the specifics in the configuration and then upload them into the same folder. Hopefully the link will be done with cr2 formats.

When a person is looking for a specific image, he knows exactly where and what to search for, since I have categorized the albums on year and month.

I think that this will also help others using DNG format for their files.

In the mean time, I use the gallery as a "backup" for my original pictures and being able to access them at any time from any place in the world.

Sorry for insisting on this topic, but I read various of forums related to pictures, and the same questions pop up all the time : RAW files (CR2, DNG, etc...), and at this point, no php based gallery is made specifically for photographers who would like to sell (or give for free for non commercial use) their original pictures.

Adding this Alternative 4 could help a few desperate people like me.

kind regards
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 20 queries.