Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Limitations of coppermine gallery?  (Read 3405 times)

dontango

• Coppermine newbie
Limitations of coppermine gallery?
« on: August 29, 2009, 05:21:43 pm »

Hello, first of all thanks for this wonderful tool.

I am in the process of setting up a huge gallery in a local environment. This is also the first time i use apache, mysql and php.
I am uploading all images and premade thumbnails and intermediate pictures via FTP and batch add process.

Now i have added "4665 files in 13 albums and 5 categories" so far and i allready notice the gallery getting slow. I planned on uploading and archiving ~500.000 pictures totalling over 100gb on a dedicated server.

Will this crash the gallery script? Batch add process allready takes over 1 minute to find new pictures now. Does anyone have experience with the limitations of coppermine or is admin of a huge gallery?

thanks.

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
Re: Limitations of coppermine gallery?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 10:17:54 pm »

There is no limit to coppermine but you may run into server limitations

Please use the search facility as there are many threads asking this very question and some contain detailed answers
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 01:14:25 pm »

This is also the first time i use apache, mysql and php.
We can not recommend nor support self-hosting, especially not for newbies. As suggested, there is no limitation in coppermine's code. If your server is already slowing down with only 4k files, then it's hardly worth being called a server worth considering to host 500k records. Let me guess a bit: you brushed the dust of an old desktop PC (probably something like a P4 with 1000 MHz and 128 MB RAM with Windows 2000) and you're now using that old machine to host your images. Nice try, but no cigar. There are better ways to catalog your images on a desktop machine. Use applications dedicated to create and maintain a catalog of images on a local machine. Use a machine that is powerfull enough.
If you want to know details, you should post details. Sidenote: claiming to come from Antarctica shows your attitude, so why should we look into your issues?

dontango

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 03:13:45 pm »

Well honestly i can't see any reason why i should not be from antarctica or why you should know where i come from. Currently i am residing in germany.

I am using a dedicated box with 1,2 celeron 2gb ram. I would guess this is more than any average shared webhost has to offer. The box is strictly blocked from any internet access so i don't see any reason why it should not be the perfect way to acclimate for a total beginner.

But i considered the first hint and used the search engine during the whole nighttime and now i guess i can tweak. Slowdown only occurs during the batch add process when it is scanning all the directories for new files, i think i can accept that and prevent the gallery from failing with really generous apache and php settings. ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 20 queries.