Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Solved]: Choosing Non-Default Themes Creates Blank Screen  (Read 4829 times)

Malinthas

• Coppermine newbie
  • The Yodeling Mage
    • The Peacemaker Program, Inc.
[Solved]: Choosing Non-Default Themes Creates Blank Screen
« on: August 26, 2009, 04:08:08 pm »

I recently installed Coppermine through my host's control panel.  I wanted to use a non-default theme, and followed the instructions to install them via FTP.  All seems to be going well, and the themes are available via the drop-down in the Config screen.  I can select the new theme, save my changes, and click continue... then I just get a blank, white screen.  Nothing.  No matter how often I refresh, I just get a white screen... no Coppermine at all.  The only way to get it back is to delete the folder for the theme via FTP, which defaults it back to the Classic skin.  Built-in themes, like Fruity, work fine, but I've tried a dozen different downloaded themes from all over the net, and they all behave the same.  I've checked all the file permissions for every file in FileZilla, and they're identical between the default and new themes.  I also tried uploading both via binary and ASCII, just in case... no difference.  Anybody got any ideas?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 08:31:24 pm by Phill Luckhurst »

Nibbler

Re: Choosing Non-Default Themes Creates Blank Screen
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 04:14:48 pm »

Upload a theme but don't switch to it. Then post a link to your gallery and the name of the theme you uploaded.

Malinthas

• Coppermine newbie
  • The Yodeling Mage
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 04:21:27 pm »

The app is at http://www.thepeacemakerprogram.org/Coppermine/index.php.  I want to use Serenitypurple, which is uploaded now, though I still have Classic selected for now.  Thanks!

Joe Carver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka 'i-imagine'
    • Home Page
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 04:30:47 pm »

I recently installed Coppermine through my host's control panel.......

Wow! this is the oldest version that I have seen through an automated installation........

<!--Coppermine Photo Gallery 1.3.3-->

Upgrading is the first thing that needs to be done.

(and the site returned a 404(ish) error when trying to find the template.html in the themes/Serenitypurple, where are you uploading to?)

Upgrade first!

Nibbler

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 04:36:04 pm »

Themes designed for Coppermine 1.4. will not work on 1.3. As suggested, you need to update your gallery before thinking about anything else.

Malinthas

• Coppermine newbie
  • The Yodeling Mage
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 04:53:25 pm »

The path you're looking for is http://www.thepeacemakerprogram.org/Coppermine/themes/serenitypurple/template.html.  Is upgrading a simple matter I can do vis FTP, rather than messing around with SQL or the Control Panel?  My web host is rather less than helpful, and yes, the versions of all their applications are outdated.

Joe Carver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka 'i-imagine'
    • Home Page
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 04:57:44 pm »

The moderators have a policy of one question per thread here.

Surely you could find many of your answers in the manual.

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 08:18:16 pm »

When you write "Their versions are outdated" I assume you used one of their auto installers?

Firstly never trust these and always get your applications from the relavent site. As you can see, using their installers causes no end of trouble.

Read the following section of the manual and get a copy of Coppermine from this site.

http://coppermine-gallery.net/demo/cpg14x/docs/index.htm#upgrade

If you run into trouble upgrading start a new thread in the upgrading section of the forums. I'll mark this thread as closed.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Malinthas

• Coppermine newbie
  • The Yodeling Mage
Re: [Closed]: Choosing Non-Default Themes Creates Blank Screen
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 08:24:29 pm »

Well said all, and quite right all around.  Unfortunately I'm often stuck, since my host's policy is that they only provide (minimal) support if I use their auto-installers, so I typically go that route first.  Since they won't help at all with a manual install, even with identifying the server's settings (path to Perl and so on) things can get dicey, so I always try to be a good boy and use their auto-install first if it serves my needs.
I upgraded the app per the manual from the site and all is well; works like a charm.  Sorry about the double-question in the thread, just pure laziness on my part.  I didn't even realize the issue was the version since the control panel actually identified the Coppermine version as 1.4; I should have looked more carefully at the 1.4 screen.  Thanks for the assistance!

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
Re: [Closed]: Choosing Non-Default Themes Creates Blank Screen
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 08:31:07 pm »

Glad you got it fixed and well done on upgrading. Check this site regularly and keep your install up to date and you'll keep yourself protected.

I'll mark this thread as solved. Have fun with your gallery.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 19 queries.