Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: e-card privacy?  (Read 2097 times)

Howie

• Coppermine newbie
e-card privacy?
« on: May 12, 2004, 08:27:04 pm »

Hello everybody,

since I started using cpg, I received a couple of e-cards, that were sent to wrong/not existing addresses. The problem is: I didn't write them! In terms of privacy, I simply don't want to receive messages visitors of my site are sending to someone else and I'm quite sure, they don't want it as well :-)

Is there any possibility to avoid this and - in case there's something wrong with the recipients address - send them back to the person who originally wrote them?

Thanks for your help!
Howie

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: e-card privacy?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 08:27:12 am »

with coppermine tools: no. There's no way coppermine can detect if an email address actually exists, there's only a check if the email is syntactically correct (i.e. it could exist). Once the email has been handed over to the webserver's smtp client, coppermine can't do anything else. Of course you could do some intelligent manipulation to your mailserver, but this usually requires admin powers...
Your users should know that an email is not a very secure means of data transport (often it's compared to sending a postcard); relying on someone's web form/ecard feature is even less secure: anything could happen with the data. If you're uncomfotable with this I suggest disbaling the ecard feature completely.

GauGau
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 18 queries.