Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible to make simple gallery without user interaction?  (Read 3244 times)

raindance

• Coppermine novice
Possible to make simple gallery without user interaction?
« on: July 29, 2009, 12:22:24 am »

Hi
I've built a website for a photographer client.  She wants to be able to control her image galleries. I've installed Coppermine on my server.  I've tested uploading photos to albums I set up as an admin, so far so good. Now I'm to the point of needing to customize the look and feel so it blends seamlessly with our current site.  I want to create a really simple gallery entry page of five gallery images on one page, where then the user can click on each image to enter that gallery which will have about 12 photos.

What I don't want is any outside user interaction. It's really on online portfolio, where my client would be the only "user" to upload her images etc.  So we don't want any of the links, user interaction etc.

I would really appreciate knowing if Coppermine is indeed the right solution for us. It seems great but can I do this? I think I would need to create a template from scratch, which is fine, to match the site, but is it logically do-able to make it more of a simple online portfolio to the general public?

Advise on how to take the next steps would be much appreciated!
Thanks

Gene-2008

• Contributor
  • Coppermine frequent poster
Re: Possible to make simple gallery without user interaction?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 12:32:22 am »

If you are up to creating your own theme then I certainly think it is possible.

Probably to only thing that would have to be on the main screen is admin login button. And navigation buttons of course in the sub galleries to go to next/previous and back up to the top...

Gene

raindance

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 12:35:25 am »

You know I just realized I wasn't very clear...I need an admin page for HER to be able to log in, add photos, manage her galleries etc, but I want those galleries to be very simple image only + image related navigation.  Make sense? I'm trying to let the client manage her own galleries, but the galleries themselves can't have any of those login/admin features showing on it.

I'm not sure Coppermine was the right solution...I hope so...any ideas?

Gene-2008

• Contributor
  • Coppermine frequent poster
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 04:27:27 am »

As I said if you are willing (and capable) of doing your own theme...it is definitely possible.

Gene

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 07:31:48 am »

You don't even need your own theme to disable most of the user interaction: the visitor won't see the controls that he isn't allowed to use. Disallow registration on coppermine's config screen. Disallow ecards, rating, uploading etc. on the groups control panel and those controls will never show up for your visitors.
So yes, this is all achievable and has already been asked and answered many times over. However, it's one of the great advantages of coppermine that it features so much user interaction. If you don't need all that user interaction, then why do you want to use coppermine in the first place? Use the tool that is fit for the job: you need to determine if the skills of your customer are up to using a particular app. Only if the answer to that question is "yes" you should continue to look into such an app.
I suggest reviewing some of the feature comparison charts (see http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/topic,6158.msg298323.html#msg298323) and then decide for two or three apps. Download and install those apps on a local testbed to get familiar with the controls they have, always asking yourself if the customer will get along with those controls. Finally decide for one and offer that to your customer after performing the visual integration into your existing layout (or coming up with a new layout if you prefer).

raindance

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 04:14:19 pm »

I totally agree with the logic.  And that's why I'm asking here, you all have seen everything Coppermine can or can't do.  Thanks for the comparison chart link, I'll evaluate a few.  The reason for trying Coppermine is so that she has all that control but I do think it offers more features than she needs. I'm really just looking for something that allows here to upload/manage her own galleries in an easy enough to use environment where I can customize it visually to be seamless with her site.

Thanks for the responses, any other ideas welcome.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 20 queries.