Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Closed]: Should Album / Files count not really include sub-categories? Seams illogical  (Read 4144 times)

dazkeirle

• Coppermine newbie

Hi,

Basically as the title says should Album / Files count not really include sub-categories?

It's pretty stupid as on the frontpage if you have a category and then within that another, the files within are basically AWOL.

It should work like a forum surely, where its a total of eveything within it.

It's a serious limitation on the product, i sure hope there's a fix out there?

Daz
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 07:00:28 pm by Joachim Müller »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

Has been asked and answered many times over, so I'll just post a short explanation: the stats calculation on the index page is not taking into account the possible newsting of sub-categories because of the performance impact that this would have. If you need that feature badly, search the board, as this has been discussed in detail - maybe you'll find a thread that contains code ready to copy'n paste to enable nested category stats.

dazkeirle

• Coppermine newbie

Hi,

I have searched these forums continuously for this.

I have used search terms:

nested category stats
nested category statistics
sub category statistics
Show sub category statistics

etc. etc.

Not being funny but for someone coming new to this board, the search facility is appalling. Unless you get the search term exactly right you have no chance. I've tried even with the phrase you've used and nothing.

I know it frustrates you regulars people asking commonly asked questions, but just directing to a search which rarely returns anything useful doesn't help.
If you would b so kind as to point me int he directing of the thread, or even the search term i can use to find it, that would be great.

Thanks.

dazkeirle

• Coppermine newbie

I have since been scouring the forums and using google, using every possible explanation for this i can and I'm getting absolutely no results.

Please If anybody out there has a bookmark for this thread which will allow me to add the code please let me know.

I promise I have done the leg work, i have searched, literally for hours.

nested categories, nested category, sub-category, nested sub categories, categories in categories, stats, statistic, count, counters, count updates etc. I have tried a million combinations of every key phrase possible.

dazkeirle

• Coppermine newbie

Has been asked and answered many times over, so I'll just post a short explanation: the stats calculation on the index page is not taking into account the possible newsting of sub-categories because of the performance impact that this would have. If you need that feature badly, search the board, as this has been discussed in detail - maybe you'll find a thread that contains code ready to copy'n paste to enable nested category stats.

OK I give up.

I've searched everything, used the internal search as well as Google, and have also paged through about 45 pages of this 90 page forum.

If it's been asked so frequently I have no idea how there is no viability of it. How can the indexing be is so poor as I can't find a trace of this thread anywhere via any search means. It seems such a no-brainer of required functionality that it should be in the user manual with instruction on how to enable / disable.

Could it be that this has been asked and answered on a previously degraded version's forum i.e. for 1.3 or 1.2? and that all references have been deleted?

Joachim Müller I appreciate that you feel this has already been discussed but I simply cannot find any trace, and If this cannot be resolved I feel it is a massive limitation of the software. I appreciate the time you put into this forum and would be extremely grateful if you would help me out here, this is after all a support forum (and I have asked really really nicely).

Many Thanks

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

I'm not sure if there has actually been code contribution that will add what you consider a missing feature. As I suggested, the performance impact will be dramatic. I'm sorry, I will not spend my time searching the board for hours for a solution that I personally don't need nor that I'm not even sure it exists. If you need it badly, you'll have to hire someone to code this for you.

dazkeirle

• Coppermine newbie

Goodness me, what a rude forum. I was only requesting this code because of your abrupt statement that it was a commonly discussed feature.

Has been asked and answered many times over

It wouldn't hurt to apologise that you were wrong and wasted hours of my time because of your poor advice.

I've considered and found another method by flattening the folder structure but I do think this is a ridiculous limitation of coppermine that effectively renders sub/nested categories useless.

It will not be an issue having one of my staff code this, I had simply assumed that there was readily available code because of what you had implied.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

I was only requesting this code because of your abrupt statement that it was a commonly discussed feature.
Many people already asked for it, and many supporters have answered that
the stats calculation on the index page is not taking into account the possible nesting of sub-categories because of the performance impact that this would have.

I have never said there there is a solution ready to be copied and pasted - that's why I said
maybe you'll find a thread that contains code ready to copy'n paste to enable nested category stats.
Notice the use of the word "maybe".

It wouldn't hurt to apologise that you were wrong and wasted hours of my time because of your poor advice.
I would apologize if I had made a mistake, but I haven't. As suggested above, I never have said that there will be a solution ready for consumption. You have a preposterous attitude: you misbehave several times, you're told about board rules, yet you continue misbehaving (e.g. by PMing me twice although I haven't acknowledged that). Now you accuse me of rudeness and you want me to apologize for your incompetence to properly read? You want an excuse for wasting your time? You're wasting our time with your silly extra moderation requests.

Goodness me, what a rude forum.
You don't have to bother any longer: you're banned. Farewell. Locking

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.