Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The previous file could not be placed.  (Read 3298 times)

vermelo

• Coppermine newbie
The previous file could not be placed.
« on: July 17, 2009, 12:21:36 pm »

"The previous file could not be placed.

You have successfully placed all the files."

This message appears if I try to upload to gallery a file with a name which already exists in the user's userpics catalog. I use ImageMagick. I know that there are no problems with GD2 but I want to use ImageMagick (better quality, strip function).

I know that the problem came with some new version of CPG a long time ago, now I use 1.4.25. Notice when "The previous file could not be placed." appears: "/include/picmgmt.inc.php Warning line 225: unlink(albums/userpics/10001/thumb_pic1~5.jpg) [function.unlink]: No such file or directory"

I've searched whole forum with the soloution but I didn't find anything.

Thanks for future soloutions

vermelo

• Coppermine newbie
Re: The previous file could not be placed.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 01:55:36 pm »

I've figured out that the problem is in forbidden characters. "~" is also forbidden, but I don't know, where.

Joe Carver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka 'i-imagine'
    • Home Page
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 04:27:55 pm »

Start with:

Also, why/how are you using that character anyway?

vermelo

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 05:15:20 pm »

Also, why/how are you using that character anyway?
Character "~" will be maked by Coppermine to avoid two files being with the same filename (it is inpossible in one catalog). Like pic.jpg, pic~.jpg, pic~1.jpg, pic~2.jpg...

Some uploaders may use ščžüõöä() characters in filenames and uploader doesn't know that it is inpossible to upload file with this character. The file will be not uploaded.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 08:12:14 am »

Thanks for your readiness to help. You're right in many aspects, but wrong in the last conclusion:
Some uploaders may use ščžüõöä() characters in filenames and uploader doesn't know that it is inpossible to upload file with this character. The file will be not uploaded.
That's not true. The file will be uploaded. The forbidden characters will be replaced instead in the file name. If this replacement would result in two identical file names within one folder, the mechanism you explained with the tilde is being applied.

There may be many reasons why the thread starter got the error message "The previous file could not be placed", as that is a generic error message that will be displayed if something went wrong, no matter what actually went wrong. You can't judge from that error message that those issues are related to the file naming scheme. The thread starter (and anybody else who has issues with uploading) should do exactly as i-imagine suggested and read the section of the docs that is named "asking for support on upload issues". That section contains instructions what to do for upload troubleshooting. All other instructions are misleading and just guessing - they lead nowhere.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 19 queries.