Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Solved]: How do you name your photos/pictures to get them in order?  (Read 4598 times)

johanlm

• Coppermine newbie

Hello all,
This is not really a "problem" or "issue", I am mostly curious.
Normaly when I name my photos (or the camerasoftware itself) I just go by a textname-number, like;
forest-1
forest-2
forest-3
etc
etc

I just noticed though when I uploaded alot of photos into the coppermine it altered the order, it put all the 1's, 2's, 3's in order.
As in the first number or the number, like this
forest-1
forest-11
forest-12
forest-13
forest-2
forest-21
forest-22
forest-23

Is there anyway to avoid this in the future so they get into the "right" order without my having to go into coppermine and "fix it"?
How do "you" do it?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 06:20:20 pm by Joachim Müller »

Nibbler

Re: How do you name your photos/pictures to get them in order?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 02:07:33 pm »

Normal way is to use leading zeros, so you'd have forest-01 which would sort correctly.

johanlm

• Coppermine newbie
Re: How do you name your photos/pictures to get them in order?
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 02:49:21 pm »

Ah cool. That easy, thanks for the tip. :)

shockingsociety

• Coppermine newbie
Re: [Solved]: How do you name your photos/pictures to get them in order?
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 05:56:40 am »

Does this mean that for all it's brilliance Coppermine is incapable of placing the newest uploads first unless the uploader numbers every photo?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 09:23:04 am »

Does this mean that for all it's brilliance Coppermine is incapable of placing the newest uploads first unless the uploader numbers every photo?
Depends on what you have specified as default sorting method. If you have configured coppermine to sort by file name, then it will do what you have set up. If you have specified to sort by other criteria, that's what coppermine will do.
Sorting by name is the best option if there is only one uploader (the admin) and if he's using batch-add anyway (in a monolithic gallery), because the admin can then fine-tune the sort order easily. If there are multiple uploaders, you should of course not rely on sorting by file name, as you can't expect your users to understand the sorting by file name. That's why there are different sort options available and you can even allow your users to specifiy a sort option of their own.
I don't like the conforntational attitude of your posting that is shining through it: for me, it sounds like mockery. Maybe that's because English isn't my first language, so maybe I'm interpreting this wrong, but: it's not a bright idea to hijack someone else's thread, particularly if you haven't read the docs that come with coppermine: the config setting "Default sort order for files" is explained there.

shockingsociety

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 02:29:11 pm »

OK - got it. Thanks.

I didn't mean to mock, I was just gobsmacked that such a sophisticated system didn't seem to allow for uploading by date. I based this on the previous answer that suggested the best way to sort was to give each pic an individual number, which is a real hassle when uploading hundreds of pics at a time.

Anyway, my assumption was wrong, and that's good.

As for hijacking someone else's thread, I'm still baffled about the correct way to post. I read the rules which instruct me not to ask a question that has already been asked. The person who initiated this thread had asked a very similar question to me but the answer didn't quite do the trick, and so I thought the correct thing to do was to add my query to this thread.

Should I have launched a new thread?

Anyway, thanks for your help.

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 02:53:22 pm »

Should I have launched a new thread?

Yes.

Threads often seem to have a similar issue but more often than not are quite different problems.

As for not asking a question previously asked, while that may be true what we really ask is that you put some effort in first and search the forums. Questions like "Help, I've lost my admin password" or "How do I remove the logo" have been asked and answered hundreds of times and it gets very tedious answering them again especially if the question asked is in the Docs. Laziness is something that really annoys supporters. In your case the sort order is in the docs but a little clarification may have been needed and that is what Joachim did.

Good luck with your gallery and take time to read the docs, they really are helpfull. If you have a problem in future use the search facility on this site or use Google to search this site (often gives better results) and you will usually save yourself a lot of time getting answers. If you really get stuck after doing that then feel free to ask on here. You will always get help if it can be seen that you have tried.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 19 queries.